Elvis AI

All the Elvis you can take

Mister Moon

Re: Elvis AI

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:07 pm

Awww, some pretty awful stuff, folks.

This reminds me, that in the late 80s, we used to attend the monthly gatherings by an Elvis Fan Club near home. They used to screen all kinds of Elvis stuff, and they were also selling rare items from time to time, so it was nice to be there for a couple of hours every month. By the way, one of the guys who ran the club perished in a car crash shortly after that period. He was maybe 26 years old. His brother, also an Elvis fan, told us at the funeral that they were burying him with a copy of the Japanese 2-CD issue of "Elvis In Concert" and a repro of one of the scarves Elvis gave away during his concerts. "At least, he made it to Memphis", he told us. His name was Javier, by the way.

Anyway, at one of those gatherings, after the movie / concert had been shown, they announced that one of the members of the club would sing an Elvis song for us. We had no intention to witness anything like that, but out of education we decided to stay. So here comes this poor fella with a mike in his hand, pre-recorded music, singing "Can't Help Falling In Love"... Julio Iglesias-style. He even acted like him. What's this goddamn crap ? I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. My girlfriend and I stared at each other in disbelief, not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:12 am

John wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:
Hear on this album the great hits of Presley, old or new, none of the original appeal is lost as our talented studio artists sing Smash Hits-Presley style.

https://www.discogs.com/release/1870320 ... sley-Style

Could they be sued for that?

It was 1970 in the U.K. and they were not as far as I can determine.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:48 am

Nolan Truth wrote:
John wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:
Hear on this album the great hits of Presley, old or new, none of the original appeal is lost as our talented studio artists sing Smash Hits-Presley style.

That was one of the first records I ever owned. Terrible but brilliant at the same time
"Man, I just work here..."

John

Postby John » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:53 am

Nolan Truth wrote:
John wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:

What year was it in the rest of the world?

Anyway, it was a rhetorical question.

John

Postby John » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:54 am

AndresVanKujik wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:
John wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:

That was one of the first records I ever owned. Terrible but brilliant at the same time

Now that requires further explanation. You can't just leave it like that.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:30 am

Nolan Truth wrote:...It was 1970 in the U.K....
John wrote:What year was it in the rest of the world?

Anyway, it was a rhetorical question.

It was still 1870 in parts of Cornwall...

... Oh, sorry the question was a rhetorical one... doesn't matter as the answer was hypothetical...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:44 am

In the USA the name Elvis Presley was copyrighted, hence the LP title "Pat Boone sings guess who?". He was not allowed to use Elvis' name.
In the U.K. the name was not copyrighted as such, so you got records like "Smash hits Presley style" and "Big Ross sings Elvis".
Big Ross being Ross McManus, the father of Elvis McManus, who got famous as Elvis Costello.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:19 am

Nolan is here, with the truth!

John

Postby John » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:01 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:https://www.discogs.com/release/3300680-Unknown-Artist-Smash-Hits-Presley-Style-Vol2

Nice cover.

John

Postby John » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:12 pm

This is the only one I have of that ilk (apart from the Pat Boone tribute LP). I bought this when I was a pup, about 60 years ago. I played it once or twice back then, but not since. Why have I kept it? Sentimental Me. Maybe I might be able to swap it for Tiger Man as recorded by Elvis on Sun.

20230716_130652.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:54 am

John wrote:
AndresVanKujik wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:
John wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:

Now that requires further explanation. You can't just leave it like that.

To me the recordings were pretty naff impersonations but that is what made it so good, you could tell that so much effort had actually been made to do it right. I find that sometimes things can be so naff they become fantastic and thst is the appeal and the humour in them.
"Man, I just work here..."

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:04 pm

Many years ago, circa 1978 I think, I heard "Honey" by Orion and that's the only time I have been temporarily fooled into thinking an 'imitator' was Elvis. Bear in mind that it was being played on the radio (by Terry Wogan, UK) and was not in the type of hi-fi sound that we can analyse with repeated listening in the 21st Century. I'm pretty sure I bought the single at some point, though well aware that it was not Elvis.

" She wrecked the car . . . . but, 'what the heck' "

John

Postby John » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:37 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:Many years ago, circa 1978 I think, I heard "Honey" by Orion and that's the only time I have been temporarily fooled into thinking an 'imitator' was Elvis. Bear in mind that it was being played on the radio (by Terry Wogan, UK) and was not in the type of hi-fi sound that we can analyse with repeated listening in the 21st Century. I'm pretty sure I bought the single at some point, though well aware that it was not Elvis.

Let's have a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcczMhhu8D4

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:47 pm

John wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:Many years ago, circa 1978 I think, I heard "Honey" by Orion and that's the only time I have been temporarily fooled into thinking an 'imitator' was Elvis. Bear in mind that it was being played on the radio (by Terry Wogan, UK) and was not in the type of hi-fi sound that we can analyse with repeated listening in the 21st Century. I'm pretty sure I bought the single at some point, though well aware that it was not Elvis.

Let's have a listen.

I still find it interesting and not a bad attempt at how Elvis might have attempted the song.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:59 pm

John wrote:

Let's have a listen.

It's undeniable that the guy sounded very much like Elvis, circa 1970. What a damn, innocent, hoax they created with the "Duets" and "Trio" albums, ha ha.

By the way, just recently, somebody brought me this very nice oddity as a gift, just for ol' times sake :

Gold Duets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Everything Elvis”