Can A1 clean up old Elvis recordings like the new Beatles release "Now And Then"?

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Can A1 clean up old Elvis recordings like the new Beatles release "Now And Then"?

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:01 pm

The new Beatles single "Now And Then" has just been released, and it sounds lovely, although I don't think it much sounds like the Lennon I know. I'm not suggesting it's not him, maybe the process of extracting his voice from an old cassette has altered it a bit.

The official blurb says:

Now and Then's eventful journey to fruition took place over five decades and is the product of conversations and collaborations between the four Beatles that go on to this day. The long mythologised John Lennon demo was first worked on in February 1995 by Paul, George and Ringo as part of The Beatles Anthology project but it remained unfinished, partly because of the impossible technological challenges involved in working with the vocal John had recorded on tape in the 1970s. For years it looked like the song could never be completed. But in 2022 there was a stroke of serendipity. A software system developed by Peter Jackson and his team, used throughout the production of the documentary series Get Back, finally opened the way for the uncoupling of John’s vocal from his piano part. As a result, the original recording could be brought to life and worked on anew with contributions from all four Beatles. This remarkable story of musical archaeology reflects The Beatles’ endless creative curiosity and shared fascination with technology. It marks the completion of the last recording that John, Paul and George and Ringo will get to make together and celebrates the legacy of the foremost and most influential band in popular music history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW55J2zE3N4

Of course we begin to think of things like Rock Around The Clock. I've never heard it, so I don't know what state it's in, but even if it could be salvaged, would Elvis' record company invest any money in it?

In the meantime this will be a sure fire hit.

Mister Moon

Re: Can A1 clean up old Elvis recordings like the new Beatles release "Now And Then"?

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:22 pm

John wrote:Of course we begin to think of things like Rock Around The Clock. I've never heard it, so I don't know what state it's in, but even if it could be salvaged, would Elvis' record company invest any money in it?

It remains a possibility. But, to me, it would be really mindblowing to rescue the erased contents of recorded-over tapes.

My brain explodes just imagining what we could have...

Topic author
John

Re: Can A1 clean up old Elvis recordings like the new Beatles release "Now And Then"?

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:30 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:Of course we begin to think of things like Rock Around The Clock. I've never heard it, so I don't know what state it's in, but even if it could be salvaged, would Elvis' record company invest any money in it?

It remains a possibility. But, to me, it would be really mindblowing to rescue the erased contents of recorded-over tapes.

True, but they probably don't have the tapes.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:33 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

I'm thinking of Elvis at Sun, and maybe we could have lots of new stuff that's buried under existing 1954 and 1955 tapes that were recorded over by Phillips. That ten second snippet of "Good Rockin' Tonight" was found by Bear Family when they were producing a Prisonaires anthology, between takes, for example. Of course, all the precious Sun tapes that were thrown away by RCA Victor are lost forever.

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:45 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

I'm thinking of Elvis at Sun, and maybe we could have lots of new stuff that's buried under existing 1954 and 1955 tapes that were recorded over by Phillips. That ten second snippet of "Good Rockin' Tonight" was found by Bear Family when they were producing a Prisonaires anthology, between takes, for example. Of course, all the precious Sun tapes that were thrown away by RCA Victor are lost forever.

If they could peel it off layer by layer, but, who knows what AI is capable of?

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:31 pm

I think it could be put to good use on home recordings such as Dark.Moon etc. Then once the vocal is isolated it would be possible to create new backing tracks - possibly with guest musicians as an additional selling point.

I don't think you would necessarily need access to Peter Jackson's software to achieve this either, but it would of course require a significant investment from Sony, and for the time being at least, this is why it isn't happening...

Topic author
John

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:21 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I think it could be put to good use on home recordings such as Dark.Moon etc. Then once the vocal is isolated it would be possible to create new backing tracks - possibly with guest musicians as an additional selling point.

I don't think you would necessarily need access to Peter Jackson's software to achieve this either, but it would of course require a significant investment from Sony, and for the time being at least, this is why it isn't happening...

Yeah, I doubt Sony would be interested.

BigD1977

Postby BigD1977 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:38 am

It would be great to take Elvis Home Recordings and isolate his voice using A1 technology. The problem with the Lennon tape was his piano was overlaying his voice. Jackson with his technology used on "Get Back Documentary" he was able to isolote Lennon's voice. If they could do with Elvis and give an updated background music. I think it would do well for us diehard fans.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:07 pm

BigD1977 wrote:It would be great to take Elvis Home Recordings and isolate his voice using A1 technology.
If they could do with Elvis and give an updated background music. I think it would do well for us diehard fans.

rockinrebel wrote:I think it could be put to good use on home recordings such as Dark.Moon etc. Then once the vocal is isolated it would be possible to create new backing tracks - possibly with guest musicians as an additional selling point.

Someone should give Paul and Ringo a call ?
They could finish this off for Elvis.
Dark Moon MP3 vocal only demo.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:49 pm

Fascinating !

The extraneous noises, too loud piano & whatever have been fixed now, using technology not available in 1994/5
when they first attempted to 'update' the mono cassette tape.

I agree that this latest AI technology could do wonders with the many 'home' recordings we have of Elvis !

Would it be commercially viable, though ?

From the UK Newspaper 'i' - 3rd November 2023:

The i UK Newspaper - 3rd November 2023 - Reduced - 001.jpg
The i UK Newspaper - 3rd November 2023 - 002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
John

Postby John » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:57 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:
BigD1977 wrote:It would be great to take Elvis Home Recordings and isolate his voice using A1 technology.
If they could do with Elvis and give an updated background music. I think it would do well for us diehard fans.

Someone should give Paul and Ringo a call ?
They could finish this off for Elvis.
Dark Moon MP3 vocal only demo.mp3

Wow, that is mighty impressive, Mr Truth. Do them all, and we'll call in the RPO, or Paul and Ringo, as you said.

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:04 pm

Topic author
John

Postby John » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:27 pm

javilu wrote:The video is not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg

Brilliant. That probably cost more to make than Kissin' Cousins and Harum Scarum put together.

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:00 pm

John wrote:Brilliant. That probably cost more to make than Kissin' Cousins and Harum Scarum put together.

Now that comment made me laugh. Peter Jackson did the video.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:03 pm

John wrote:Do them all, and we'll call in the RPO, or Paul and Ringo, as you said.

they are working on it, but pitch issues.
DARK MOON - work in progress.mp3
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Return to “Everything Elvis”