Elvis and the Colonel book by Greg McDonald & Marshall Terrill

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
John

Re: Elvis and the Colonel book by Greg McDonald & Marshall Terrill

Postby John » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:16 pm

Yin Yang wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:It was Vellenga that got the tip off about the murder.
Everyone seems to blame Alanna Nash regarding this story, as if it was her saying he did it.
The circumstantial evidence is there, but has she ever clearly said he did it?

Mentioning it in a book without any evidence, without even having been recorded with the police as a suspect and solely based on an anonymous letter is a no no.
If The Colonel would still be alive he could have sued her for slander big time and have won.
In my eyes, this makes that writer totally untrustable.

I think there is evidence, it just needs to be brought to the surface.

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:31 pm

Yin Yang wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:It was Vellenga that got the tip off about the murder.
Everyone seems to blame Alanna Nash regarding this story, as if it was her saying he did it.
The circumstantial evidence is there, but has she ever clearly said he did it?

Mentioning it in a book without any evidence, without even having been recorded with the police as a suspect and solely based on an anonymous letter is a no no.
If The Colonel would still be alive he could have sued her for slander big time and have won.
In my eyes, this makes that writer totally untrustable.

Solely based on an anonymous letter?
I doubt that.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

davrid

Postby davrid » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:18 pm

Yin Yang wrote:As for the murder in Breda, if Dries van Kuijk would have done that, after 18 years he could have walked into any Dutch police station and claim he was guilty. He would not get arrested as the crime would be outdated according to Dutch law.

Err no.

The Dutch system of Criminal Law - known as the Criminal Code - is based upon the Civil Code, and was founded in 1886. That Criminal Code, including the Statute of Limitations (articles 70-73), although now, it is not formally known as Statue of Limitations but rather '(the expiry of) the ‘period of enforcement', prior to 1886 was founded upon the Code of Criminal Procedure 1838 - indeed, there is a division in the regulation and consequences (management) of the SoL shared between the two bodies of law. The courts have an ex-officio responsibility to determine whether or not the limitation period on criminal prosecution has expired, it has nothing at all to do with the police. Also, the proscription period does not necessarily start upon the date of the criminal act - depending upon the offence, age of victim and offender, maximum sentence for the offence etc; it either can start from the date of formal investigation or indeed never begin ie there is no SoL and the right of prosecution always exists, including for any crime where the maximum sentence is 12+ years. This is often considered a modern rewriting of the Code, however, the SoL / PoE has changed very little in real terms since 1886 and there has never been an absolute non-conditional SoL / PoE in Dutch Law.

Nowadays, Article 6 of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (ECHR) also creates defendant protections relating to trial within a 'reasonable time', although, formally, that has not been codified into Dutch Law, although it is considered by the Courts and PPS (Public Prosecution Service).

So, whilst I understand the point you are making, it is incorrect, plus the SoL is far more nuanced than you seem to understand. So, in summary, no, Parker could not just walk into a police station and confess to murder.

As for Allana Nash, she is an exceptionally poor writer and researcher, with her book on Parker largely plagiarised from Dirk Vellenga's than based upon new research and investigation. The best Elvis book ever written is 'Elvis and Gladys' (published in 1985), and Elaine Dundy often touched upon Parker's blackmail and manipulation of Elvis, not limited to her book. Famously, she studied acting with Rod Steiger and Tony Curtis, and was married to London-based theatre critic, wife-beater and alcoholic (Dundy was also an alcoholic) Kenneth Tynan, who she divorced owing to his drunkenness, affairs and assault (including flagellation of his wife). Intellectually, and as a writer and researcher, Dundy was in a different league to Nash.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm

I based my information about murder expiring after 18 years (in The Netherlands) on a murder from the 1970's when a young girl was murdered early in a winter's evening walking from the underground station to her home.
The chief of police after 18 years said he hoped the killer would come forward, because he could not be punished for this murder after 18 years.
Since then this law has changed and the term for expiry extended.

davrid

Postby davrid » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Yin Yang wrote:I based my information about murder expiring after 18 years (in The Netherlands) on a murder from the 1970's when a young girl was murdered early in a winter's evening walking from the underground station to her home.
The chief of police after 18 years said he hoped the killer would come forward, because he could not be punished for this murder after 18 years.
Since then this law has changed and the term for expiry extended.

The so-called 'Criminal Code Statue of Limitations' has evolved over the years but the the vast majority remains from the mid and late 19th Century. But there has never been inclusion (extension of the SoL) of all crimes irrespective of the nature of those crimes. The policeman you cite in the 70s was not applying the law correctly, but then as I said, this is not the role of the police in the Criminal Code. It is and has always been for the Courts to decide whether the SoL applies or not, and on what grounds, with the police having to investigate the crime, with the offender being arrested, charged and put throught the court system, otherwise the Courts could not decide. Effectively, a senior official of the PPS (whose job it is to investigate and prosecute criminal cases) decides as it is their decision whether or not to present evidence and the scope of evidence - and if there is no evidence, there can be no prosecution. However, as I said, Parker could not have surrendered to a police station stating he murdered Anna van den Enden in 1929. The system has never worked like that.

Whether Parker / Andreas van Kuijk killed Anna, well, who knows. For those who aren't familiar with it: they attended the same church; Parker matches the description of someone seen leaving Anna's house (behind a grocer) but so would many men, and apparently one of the greatest clues is the sprinkling of pepper around the body, to stop police dogs picking up a scent, and Nash claims Parker would have known such a ruse from training circus dogs, however, such a ruse has never actually worked, that has been known since the days of Barnaby and Burgho (bloodhounds used to track 'Jack The Ripper'). Another clue is that he supposedly immediately fled Breda. Anna had her head, quite literally, smashed-in, with a crowbar like implement, possibly during a burglary. Personally, to some degree, whether he did or did not murder Anna is less relevant than would he have been convicted. Based upon the evidence presented by Vellenga and Nash to date, all highly circumstantial (and some of, just pathetically thin e.g. van Kujik was always short of money, therefore, he was liable to commit a burglary!), I doubt it, although Dutch courts have routinely convicted on circumstantial evidence, including, in recent years, at least until her conviction was quashed, the infamous case of Lucia de Berk, a nurse convicted of killing children, and for the Brits here, very very similar to the Lucy Letby case. Van Kujik lived close-by to Anna, and there is nothing to suggest any witness recognised him, or that the police identified him as a 'person of interest'.

As yet another aside (sorry!) Interpol has since last year been involved in investigating unsolved murders of young women from the Netherlands and Belgium (plus Germany) - including the well know 'Heul Girl' case from 1976. The young, still unidentified, woman is likely to have been trafficked from West Germany, and was aged 12-15. Her body was found in a car park in Maarsbergen (on the A12 motorway). Her case is the oldest included in the Interpol investigation.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:00 am

For your informatio, Dries van Kuijk lived in Rotterdam when he emigrated to the USA for the second time.
FIrst time he emigrated he wascaught and sent back. There is documentation to prove that, when documents of the Holland America Line were made public, including passengers lists.
Travelling from Rotterdam to Breda and back was not as easy as it is now as there was no highway, just back roads.
At night the roads outside cities were not illuminated either!
Like I mentioned, Alana Nash did poor investigation.

davrid

Postby davrid » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:35 am

Yin Yang wrote:Like I mentioned, Alana Nash did poor investigation.

All of her books are poorly written supposition presented as facts. Even worse than "The Colonel" is "Baby Let's Play House", which is complete drivel - founded upon hypotheses and a narrative she herself constantly rebuts, but somehow fails to identify or simply doesn't care. But then why let proof actually get in the way of headline-grabbing nonsense.

Return to “Everything Elvis”