New FTD: Blue Hawaii Sessions

All the Elvis you can take

Colin B

Re: New FTD: Blue Hawaii Sessions

Postby Colin B » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:15 am

John wrote:These CDs are exactly the same as the book version.
bluehawaii wrote:Your system receives the data you're seeing from an external database, not from the metadata on the disc.

Ah yes, the external database has the details from the book version of the CDs, which must have had a different title & more info.

Thanks, guys !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:48 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:Got the 4-CD set The Blue Hawaii Sessions & started to load the CDs onto the Brennan recorder.

If the release can be found online the title, sleeve & track titles will be loaded along with the music tracks.

Saves having to input them all manually !

In this case, two odd things.

1 - The album title is wrong as it comes up with 'The Making of Blue Hawaii' instead of 'The Blue Hawaii Sessions'.

2 - The description of each track has more detail than the actual sleeve & booklet gives [like the master serial number] !

I like that !

These CDs are exactly the same as the book version.

The advantage of this is that you no longer have to remove the CDs from the slipcase.

It is of course a great way to earn even more money from the same material. Book/CD combo first, later a stand-alone release of just the CDs. The same goes for the vinyl. Now there is a reissue of ''Moody Blue'' coming. Which one is next? And the effect on the market value of the first pressing?

John

Postby John » Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:50 pm

scottwalker wrote:
John wrote:
Colin B wrote:Got the 4-CD set The Blue Hawaii Sessions & started to load the CDs onto the Brennan recorder.

If the release can be found online the title, sleeve & track titles will be loaded along with the music tracks.

Saves having to input them all manually !

In this case, two odd things.

1 - The album title is wrong as it comes up with 'The Making of Blue Hawaii' instead of 'The Blue Hawaii Sessions'.

2 - The description of each track has more detail than the actual sleeve & booklet gives [like the master serial number] !

I like that !

These CDs are exactly the same as the book version.

The advantage of this is that you no longer have to remove the CDs from the slipcase.

You don't, but you might want to rip them in case there's a fault on one of the CDs.

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:01 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:These CDs are exactly the same as the book version.
bluehawaii wrote:Your system receives the data you're seeing from an external database, not from the metadata on the disc.

Ah yes, the external database has the details from the book version of the CDs, which must have had a different title & more info.

Thanks, guys !

It's very likely that you're not seeing the actual metadata, as the information in databases such as Gracenote is usually user-generated (I've entered and uploaded such data for many years myself).

A few years ago I had a brief email-exchange with Jan Eliasson (FTD's audio-engineer of choice for many soundboard releases as well as The Blue Hawaii Sessions) and he stated that the guys at the label have no requirements whatsoever when it comes to metadata. As if they didn't care. So he adds working titles and track information as he sees fit and at his own convenience.

I pointed out to him that some of the metadata was faulty. It still is, by the way.

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:28 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.
To include the masters on every single release is a bit OCD. Not needed for us collectors.
We already have the masters. since 1961 actually.

or, stretch to a fifth CD.

We all have the masters. We've had them since 1961. Please note this is a collectors label and

masters should have never been considered for FTD since day one.

I disagree strongly.
Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a lot of masters in upgrades sound (if they would had used only outtakes on Ftd.
For instance, the his hand in mine and how great thou art FTD's are major upgrades on the masters compared what was released before).

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:31 pm

A side note: I didn't bought the book. Only have the 2 CD FTD from Blue Hawaii.
Since they used the early takes of can't help falling in love from a bootleg source and the 2 CD set already has tons of this material I am not sure I should get this Blue Hawaii session set.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:05 pm

alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.
To include the masters on every single release is a bit OCD. Not needed for us collectors.

We all have the masters. We've had them since 1961. Please note this is a collectors label and

I disagree strongly.
Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a lot of masters in upgrades sound (if they would had used only outtakes on Ftd.
For instance, the his hand in mine and how great thou art FTD's are major upgrades on the masters compared what was released before).

I strongly disagree.

Upgrades in sound are only minor, very minor, and barely noticable. It's all hype.

We have gotten the masters a millions times.

I am sure those upgrades were on the 60 CD set.

Keep the masters on the main label.

elvis-fan

Postby elvis-fan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:42 am

scottwalker wrote:Now there is a reissue of ''Moody Blue'' coming. Which one is next? And the effect on the market value of the first pressing?

IMO the new "GOLD" vinyl Moody Blue FTD will have zero impact on the market value of the original clear vinyl pressing. If they came out with an identical product perhaps, but that isn't the case. Collectors will want both and this new Moody Blue is essentially just another FTD vinyl to add to their collection. FTD can keep that train rolling for years... similar to what Friday Music has done... and the collectors who have to have everything will just eat it up...

John

Postby John » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:04 am

elvis-fan wrote:
scottwalker wrote:Now there is a reissue of ''Moody Blue'' coming. Which one is next? And the effect on the market value of the first pressing?

IMO the new "GOLD" vinyl Moody Blue FTD will have zero impact on the market value of the original clear vinyl pressing. If they came out with an identical product perhaps, but that isn't the case. Collectors will want both and this new Moody Blue is essentially just another FTD vinyl to add to their collection. FTD can keep that train rolling for years... similar to what Friday Music has done... and the collectors who have to have everything will just eat it up...

Vinyl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alberta sheffield

Postby alberta sheffield » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:47 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:

I disagree strongly.

I strongly disagree.

Upgrades in sound are only minor, very minor, and barely noticable. It's all hype.

Not just hype.
The masters of His hand in mine, how great thou art, pot luck and many more ( not all, of course) were a very noticeable upgrade in sound quality compared what was released before. I did not bought the 60 Cd set.
(Besides, most classical albums with upgraded masters on FTD were released years before the 60 cd set. So that argument " masters never belong to Ftd" doesn't fly. )
If you can't hear the difference I can't help you.
I don't fall for hype.
I trust my ears.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:40 pm

alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:

I disagree strongly.

I strongly disagree.

Not just hype.
The masters of His hand in mine, how great thou art, pot luck and many more ( not all, of course) were a very noticeable upgrade in sound quality compared what was released before. I did not bought the 60 Cd set.
(Besides, most classical albums with upgraded masters on FTD were released years before the 60 cd set. So that argument " masters never belong to Ftd" doesn't fly. )
I don't fall for hype.
I trust my ears.

Well, since that 60 cd set is out....there is no need to buy anymore masters from this time forward then.
And I dont' fall for the hype that's why I don't keep rebuying these things for ever and ever.
Even in the bootleg market, some of those soundboard concerts have been released
5X times with the promise of upgraded sound. It's all hype.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:19 am

alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:

I disagree strongly.

I strongly disagree.

Not just hype.
I don't fall for hype.
I trust my ears.

Ok, I have a more specific question for you.

concerning, "how great thou art", "his hand in mine", "Elvis is back", "Fun in acapulco", and "Something for everybody"......

Do the masters appear to have been "upgraded" for the FTD complete sessions sets as compared to the regular 1 or 2 disc FTD sets
that came out first?

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:38 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
alberta sheffield wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:

I disagree strongly.

I strongly disagree.

Not just hype.
I don't fall for hype.
I trust my ears.

Ok, I have a more specific question for you.

concerning, "how great thou art", "his hand in mine", "Elvis is back", "Fun in acapulco", and "Something for everybody"......

Do the masters appear to have been "upgraded" for the FTD complete sessions sets as compared to the regular 1 or 2 disc FTD sets
that came out first?

Interesting question. In relation to HGTA, HHIM, FIA and SFE, I'd say they have not been upgraded on the sessions sets. They sound exactly the same.

On EIB there are very small differences, but nothing to get excited about. On the FTD set you have Elvis counting in before Reconsider Baby. This has been removed on the sessions set. On I Will Be Home Again the vocal comes straight in at the beginning of the track on the FTD. On the sessions set there is a split second of dead space before it begins.

There might be minimal differences in the sound on the EIB tracks, but it's really hard to tell.

Tulsa Mclean

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:58 am

Well by this time, almost everybody their orders, must have already their new set Blue Hawaii sessions. I´m right thinking that the first 10 takes or so are not taken from the original RCA tapes, after take 14 or 15 the sound is so much better than the first takes.... :roll:.
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

John

Postby John » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:47 am

Tulsa Mclean wrote:Well by this time, almost everybody their orders, must have already their new set Blue Hawaii sessions. I´m right thinking that the first 10 takes or so are not taken from the original RCA tapes, after take 14 or 15 the sound is so much better than the first takes.... :roll:.

Are you talking about Can't Help Falling In Love?

RCA/Sony/FTD do not have the tape containing the first 12 takes. These have been taken from bootlegs.

https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-se ... 23.html#05

Return to “Everything Elvis”