Nolan Truth

Re: New FTD: Blue Hawaii Sessions

Postby Nolan Truth » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:02 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
DarylR wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:So, will this be the ultimate word on those sessions, or are the CDs verbatim copies of the flawed ones used for the "Making Of" set, which missed a couple of takes, and dialogue here and there ?

I see that the word "complete" is used on the above blurb :

Released as a 4-CD SET, It features the complete soundtrack sessions newly-mixed from the original 3-track session tapes.

What takes and dialogue were not included on the FTD, "The Making Of Blue Hawaii"?

DarylR

I think there's a short false start of Slicin' Sand, and also Steppin’ Out Of Line movie version including the instrumental break. It is on there with the break edited out.

There's a lot of studio chat missing which can be found elsewhere. It's best to have a look at Keith Flynn's site which will tell you all you want to know.

https://www.keithflynn.com/recording-se ... ex_01.html

That's right. I was re-reading the "Making Of Blue Hawaii" thread from earlier in the year, and it's explained there.

Regarding the earlier takes of "CHFIL", I would like to trust the statement in the above (official ?) blurb.

Do you mean this?

It features the complete soundtrack sessions newly-mixed from the original 3-track session tapes.

Yes.

Trust it all you like, but it's exactly what they said in the PR for the original book release, only it wasn't all newly-mixed from the original 3-track session tapes. They don't have the master tape containing the early takes of Can't Help Falling In Love.

It also doesn't include the re-recorded backing track for If I Can Dream from 2014. :D

Image Pasted from Clipboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nolan is here, with the truth!

Topic author
pphillips_ukuk

Postby pphillips_ukuk » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:08 pm

I didn't pick up the book version as they are just too expensive for me. As a result, I am excited to pick this up. It is a shame if they have not filled in the missing pieces (which sadly looks like what has happened), but it should be an excellent set if you missed out on the book.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:20 pm

once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.
To include the masters on every single release is a bit OCD. Not needed for us collectors.
We already have the masters. since 1961 actually.

John

Postby John » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.
To include the masters on every single release is a bit OCD. Not needed for us collectors.

or, stretch to a fifth CD.

RKSNASHVILLE

Postby RKSNASHVILLE » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:41 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.

Exactly!

In many cases they actually put the masters on the set twice - Once in the original album section and then again in the outtakes section in its chronological order.

Un-necessary.

RKS

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:46 pm

John wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:once again the problem would be solved if they eliminated the masters, of which we have had released hundreds of times already.

No need to add extra discs so we can buy the masters for the 100th time over.

Every disc added is another $20 more.

We all have the masters. We've had them since 1961. Please note this is a collectors label and

masters should have never been considered for FTD since day one.

I want to know who on this board doesn't have every single master Elvis made?

John

Postby John » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:15 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:

No need to add extra discs so we can buy the masters for the 100th time over.

Every disc added is another $20 more.

We all have the masters. We've had them since 1961. Please note this is a collectors label and

masters should have never been considered for FTD since day one.

I want to know who on this board doesn't have every single master Elvis made?

Time for a poll.

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:33 am

Ordered. Obviously.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:39 pm

Nolan Truth wrote:...It also doesn't include the re-recorded backing track for If I Can Dream from 2014. :D

I don't think we need the versions with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra new backings on these 'complete sessions' releases...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:42 pm

Colin B wrote:
Nolan Truth wrote:...It also doesn't include the re-recorded backing track for If I Can Dream from 2014. :D

I don't think we need the versions with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra new backings on these 'complete sessions' releases...

:shock: :D ;) :lol:
Nolan is here, with the truth!

ClausH

Postby ClausH » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:05 am

John wrote:

I don't think there is a need for a fifth disc. 2 of the 4 discs have a runtime of 51 minutes.

Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:53 am

Can you imagine the hell that would breake loose had the book version included different CD content to this book-less release (meaning: if now we were to get literally COMPLETE sessions)? It would have been criticised far more than Aloha was (FTD for more, Legacy for less). And rightfully so.
It is what it is, folks...

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:20 pm

Got the 4-CD set The Blue Hawaii Sessions & started to load the CDs onto the Brennan recorder.

If the release can be found online the title, sleeve & track titles will be loaded along with the music tracks.

Saves having to input them all manually !

In this case, two odd things.

1 - The album title is wrong as it comes up with 'The Making of Blue Hawaii' instead of 'The Blue Hawaii Sessions'.

2 - The description of each track has more detail than the actual sleeve & booklet gives [like the master serial number] !

I like that !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:32 am

Colin B wrote:Got the 4-CD set The Blue Hawaii Sessions & started to load the CDs onto the Brennan recorder.

If the release can be found online the title, sleeve & track titles will be loaded along with the music tracks.

1 - The album title is wrong as it comes up with 'The Making of Blue Hawaii' instead of 'The Blue Hawaii Sessions'.

2 - The description of each track has more detail than the actual sleeve & booklet gives [like the master serial number] !

I like that !

These CDs are exactly the same as the book version.

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:59 am

Colin B wrote:Got the 4-CD set The Blue Hawaii Sessions & started to load the CDs onto the Brennan recorder.

I like that !

Your system receives the data you're seeing from an external database, not from the metadata on the disc.

Return to “Everything Elvis”