The Time Elvis did the Jitterbug dance on live TV---I need Help

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

The Time Elvis did the Jitterbug dance on live TV---I need Help

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:37 am

It took me until now after all these years to realize, that Elvis did the jitterbug with a young dancer on live TV on June 16th, 1956.

I read this little article that states it, and then it dawned on me, there is one photo of it, but I can't find it for this post.
I searched photo archives and all over google and the internet without any luck.

That's where I need the help of the photo experts to post it here. I saw it years ago, and I believe it was in the Elvis Presley speaks magazine, but
I long ago sold all my Elvis magazines. If anyone can post it here, it would be nice to see and put into perspective of the time
Elvis danced the jitterbug on live TV.

This show, Dance Party hosted by Wink Martindale has one of few 1950's interviews, and now we know who filmed it from this article.
So, wink and dewey, and Elvis are laughing it up for a while then Dewey leaves and we have Wink interviewing Elvis.
All of this segment is on audio but only a small portion is on video. What remains is in the hands of Andrew Solt.

The jitterbug segment is probably towards the end of the show. And this portion was more than likely not preserved at all.

The photo in question that is missing, is Elvis on one side and the girl on the other. Come on photo experts, you know which one it is. thanks in advance for finding it and post it here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HillbillyCat

Re: The Time Elvis did the Jitterbug dance on live TV---I need Help

Postby HillbillyCat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:52 am

Sorry, couldn't find a picture showing him dancing with a girl in that show yet, but it's definitely not in the magazine "Elvis Presley Speaks!".

Greg1935

Postby Greg1935 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:52 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:It took me until now after all these years to realize, that Elvis did the jitterbug with a young dancer on live TV on June 16th, 1956.

I read this little article that states it, and then it dawned on me, there is one photo of it, but I can't find it for this post.
I searched photo archives and all over google and the internet without any luck.

That's where I need the help of the photo experts to post it here. I saw it years ago, and I believe it was in the Elvis Presley speaks magazine, but
I long ago sold all my Elvis magazines. If anyone can post it here, it would be nice to see and put into perspective of the time

This show, Dance Party hosted by Wink Martindale has one of few 1950's interviews, and now we know who filmed it from this article.
So, wink and dewey, and Elvis are laughing it up for a while then Dewey leaves and we have Wink interviewing Elvis.
All of this segment is on audio but only a small portion is on video. What remains is in the hands of Andrew Solt.

The jitterbug segment is probably towards the end of the show. And this portion was more than likely not preserved at all.

The photo in question that is missing, is Elvis on one side and the girl on the other. Come on photo experts, you know which one it is. thanks in advance for finding it and post it here.

How do you know Andrew Solt possess the full show on kinescope, I suppose?
Do you have any more info on this?

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Greg1935 wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:It took me until now after all these years to realize, that Elvis did the jitterbug with a young dancer on live TV on June 16th, 1956.

How do you know Andrew Solt possess the full show on kinescope, I suppose?
Do you have any more info on this?

In an interview with TV guide magazine long ago, Wink stated he loaned the full video to him for use in
"this is elvis" and he never returned it.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:01 pm

HillbillyCat wrote:Sorry, couldn't find a picture showing him dancing with a girl in that show yet, but it's definitely not in the magazine "Elvis Presley Speaks!".

Ok, thanks for checking. I just can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but I thought it was a 1956 magazine.
It also could be that rare one showing him wearing his purple jacket.

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:25 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
HillbillyCat wrote:Sorry, couldn't find a picture showing him dancing with a girl in that show yet, but it's definitely not in the magazine "Elvis Presley Speaks!".

Ok, thanks for checking. I just can't for the life of me remember where I saw it, but I thought it was a 1956 magazine.

If you mean this one, then unfortunately it's not shown there either: https://digitalcommons.memphis.edu/speccoll-pub-us/26/

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:47 pm

HillbillyCat wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:

If you mean this one, then unfortunately it's not shown there either: https://digitalcommons.memphis.edu/speccoll-pub-us/26/

Oh boy....now what? It's one of those things where I put it all together after the fact.

The photo shows what looks like him and this girl doing the jitterbug, Full head to toe.... and then years later I read this segment about
him doing the jitterbug with this girl, and now I can't match them up because I don't have the photo anymore.

One of the experts here will have it. I just know it.

velvetpresley

Postby velvetpresley » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:37 pm

is this the photo you’re referring to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:20 pm

velvetpresley wrote:is this the photo you’re referring to?

Hey thanks for posting that....that is very close to the one I was thinking.

There is another one with a slightly different angle but that is real close.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:04 pm

IMG_2511.jpeg

But this is from a different time. This looks like a Phillip Harrington photo.

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:11 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

IMG_2511.jpeg

But this is from a different time. This looks like a Phillip Harrington photo.

Yep, this one is from Dayton (May 27, 1956), taken by Marvin Israel according to http://www.scottymoore.net/dayton.html

Return to “Everything Elvis”