Elvis on the Roy Orbison Show

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
shanebrown

Re: Elvis on the Roy Orbison Show

Postby shanebrown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:51 am

The newspaper clipping is from July 11, 1956. It's from the Odessa American. Note how Orbison talks about running into Elvis in various places but does not state he appeared on TV with him. Surely, given Elvis's big success by this point, it would have been one of the things he mentioned.

The_Odessa_American_Wed__Jul_11__1956_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:23 am

Graeme wrote:Anyone able to throw a starting point into the pot as to when this was possibly first mentioned?

My guess is, probably in the early 70s when bootleggering was at its height. This was a time when bootleggers were chasing up any leads to possible things to buy and release - many came to fruition and others came to a dead end.

But it's possible it was floating around before that. It would probably be hard to pinpoint exactly.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

John

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:04 am

shanebrown wrote:The newspaper clipping is from July 11, 1956. It's from the Odessa American. Note how Orbison talks about running into Elvis in various places but does not state he appeared on TV with him. Surely, given Elvis's big success by this point, it would have been one of the things he mentioned.

I certainly don't need any further proof that Elvis never appeared on TV with Roy Orbison. Even Roy himself doesn't mention it in the clips I posted awhile back, and he would have, given that he mentions both the TV show and Elvis, but never puts them together.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:48 pm

For me, there's just too many conflicting stories about the event to come to an absolute conclusion.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Graeme
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Graeme » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 pm

Conflicting? There's too much evidence suggesting it didn't happen.

Like I said earlier, if I said aliens kidnapped Elvis and you cannot prove it didn't happen, are you happy to accept it may be true?

John

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:For me, there's just too many conflicting stories about the event to come to an absolute conclusion.

Such as?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Graeme wrote:Conflicting? There's too much evidence suggesting it didn't happen.

Like I said earlier, if I said aliens kidnapped Elvis and you cannot prove it didn't happen, are you happy to accept it may be true?

Well, we can't rule out the possibility that there is intelligent life other than our own in the universe, & it stands to reason that, if there is,
they could have kidnapped him.

I'm not saying it's likely but in the absence of any evidence that they didn't it has to be a scenario that may be true...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Colin B wrote:
Graeme wrote:Conflicting? There's too much evidence suggesting it didn't happen.

Well, we can't rule out the possibility that there is intelligent life other than our own in the universe, & it stands to reason that, if there is,
they could have kidnapped him.

Are you saying we are intelligent?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Colin B wrote:Well, we can't rule out the possibility that there is intelligent life other than our own in the universe, & it stands to reason that, if there is, they could have kidnapped him.
John wrote:Are you saying we are intelligent?

Yes, I think the majority of humans could accurately be described thus.

The few world leaders that we currently have, who appear to buck this trend, are not typical.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:32 am

John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:For me, there's just too many conflicting stories about the event to come to an absolute conclusion.

Such as?

A lot of it is in this thread.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:37 am

There's also things on the contrary. Though these things haven't been proved, but......

The only thing I can see in this thread is the evidence is two TV shows being mixed up. The one Shane is saying didn't appear until May 56, but Orbison did appear on KMID TV which did exist in the Summer of 55.

John

Postby John » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 am

Mojo Filter wrote:
John wrote:

Such as?

I don't see anything conflicting other than your own comments. For me there is no doubt for now, Elvis did not appear on the Roy Orbison show. Did you play those youtube clips?

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:05 am

John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
John wrote:

Such as?

I don't see anything conflicting other than your own comments. For me there is no doubt for now, Elvis did not appear on the Roy Orbison show. Did you play those youtube clips?

Yes, I did play the clips. But really, it doesn't confirm anything. Yes, he could have mentioned that Elvis appeared on his show but for the interview it wasn't necessary as he was only saying that he had his own TV show. But as I stated earlier, he's said it elsewhere, from what I've read.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

John wrote:Such as?
Mojo Filter wrote:A lot of it is in this thread.
John wrote:I don't see anything conflicting other than your own comments. For me there is no doubt for now, Elvis did not appear on the Roy Orbison show.
Did you play those youtube clips?
Mojo Filter wrote:Yes, I did play the clips. But really, it doesn't confirm anything. Yes, he could have mentioned that Elvis appeared on his show but for the interview it wasn't necessary as he was only saying that he had his own TV show. But as I stated earlier, he's said it elsewhere, from what I've read.

The balance of the evidence suggests Elvis never appeared on Roy's show.

Even if the article, where Roy makes the claim, turns up, it still doesn't mean it's true !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am

Mojo Filter wrote:
John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
John wrote:

Such as?

Yes, I did play the clips. But really, it doesn't confirm anything. Yes, he could have mentioned that Elvis appeared on his show but for the interview it wasn't necessary as he was only saying that he had his own TV show. But as I stated earlier, he's said it elsewhere, from what I've read.

You can lead a horse to water ......

Return to “Everything Elvis”