Elvis on the Roy Orbison Show

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
shanebrown

Re: Elvis on the Roy Orbison Show

Postby shanebrown » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:47 am

Graeme wrote:Every song in the 68 Special, except the ones written for the special, come from Elvis' career, except is seems Tiger Man, unless he did record it as a proposed second single.

Baby What You want Me To Do did not come from earlier in Elvis's career, and neither did some of the songs from the dressing room sessions.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:55 am

shanebrown wrote:
Graeme wrote:Every song in the 68 Special, except the ones written for the special, come from Elvis' career, except is seems Tiger Man, unless he did record it as a proposed second single.

Baby What You want Me To Do did not come from earlier in Elvis's career, and neither did some of the songs from the dressing room sessions.

But as noted earlier by me, it was his sort of current favorite.

He had been singing it at home for a while, and I believe was slated to be recorded in a canceled 1967 session.

He sang it I think 6 times during the special tapings. Over kill to me, but he dug it.

Topic author
shanebrown

Postby shanebrown » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:59 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
shanebrown wrote:

He had been singing it at home for a while, and I believe was slated to be recorded in a canceled 1967 session.

He sang it I think 6 times during the special tapings. Over kill to me, but he dug it.

Perhaps Tiger Man was his current favorite too? And what about Up Above My Head and Saved? Neither of those are from the Elvis back-catalogue either. So now we've gone from every song except Tiger Man to every song except Tiger Man, Baby What You Want Me To Do, Saved, and Up Above My Head!

But the point I was making has been rather missed. Interviewees and Elvis on stage are not reliable sources in many occasions. Elvis spoke about the demo from 1953 being released by Sam Phillips. He said in 1977 that Trying to Get To You was recorded eighteen years earlier. The Softly as I Leave You story is bunkum. We can't take as evidence a jokey comment made by Elvis on stage given that kind of track record. And the three examples I have just given were not even presented as remotely jokey.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:46 am

shanebrown wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
shanebrown wrote:

Perhaps Tiger Man was his current favorite too? And what about Up Above My Head and Saved? Neither of those are from the Elvis back-catalogue either. So now we've gone from every song except Tiger Man to every song except Tiger Man, Baby What You Want Me To Do, Saved, and Up Above My Head!

But the point I was making has been rather missed. Interviewees and Elvis on stage are not reliable sources in many occasions. Elvis spoke about the demo from 1953 being released by Sam Phillips. He said in 1977 that Trying to Get To You was recorded eighteen years earlier. The Softly as I Leave You story is bunkum. We can't take as evidence a jokey comment made by Elvis on stage given that kind of track record. And the three examples I have just given were not even presented as remotely jokey.

The context we were talking about from the 68 special was what was released as the rehearsal tapes. Neither, "saved" nor "up above my head" were in this context. They were sung as production numbers and not part of the stuff he would sing off the top of his head as he did in the dressing room rehearsals. big difference.
yes, we know Elvis' memory about his career were not spot on, but you can take something from his comments.
He may not have recorded "trying to get to you" 18 years earlier, but he did record it, and he remembered that.
So, you can't just erase everything a person says, because there is little truths in there, if you look for them.
Sam phillips may not have released "my happiness", but Elvis did state he went in there and recorded a record, which is true.
I don't think he made up the story about "softy", he just relayed the fake story as it was told to him.
And when he talked about "tiger man" he was not "jokey" at all.
And Elvis could be spot on when he did remember something, such as the time he recalled singing "Til I waltz again with you"
at the school talent show.
or when he said he sang "old shep" at the talent show when he was about 10. He may have forgotten what place he placed, but
it's not a fabricated thing.....he did participate in that show, and we don't have a tape of it, but I am fairly confident he did in fact
sing, "old shep"
Since there is not tape or wire recording of it, do you want to challenge it, and go on record as saying the whole story is fake? Your call.

Graeme
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Graeme » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:24 am

shanebrown wrote:

Yes it did. It was a song he'd "got into" and it was scheduled to be recorded the year before at what became the abandoned / cancelled / shelved recording session. See respective thread for more info and thanks to colonel snow.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:43 am

shanebrown wrote:

Baby What You want Me To Do is a song he did mess around with at home during the 60s and before 1968. According to one source, can't remember who, but he and Ann Margaret used to sing it together at home when she would visit him at parties or whatever - apparently, she used to wiggle all over the floor while singing it with him. That might be in the Memphis Mafia book. Just because the song wasn't officially released doesn't mean he didn't know it and liked it and fooled around with it. And in this case, we know he did fool around with it privately. When it came to the 68 dress rehearsals he thought decided to fool around with it there - all makes perfect sense to me.

So that song does go back a long time before 1968, and he probably loved it when it was first released by Jimmy Reed in 1959.

And the songs mentioned by cadillac-elvis in the dressing room rehearsals did come from earlier in his career "Blue Moon", "Blue Moon Of Kentucky", "When It Rains It Really Pours" and "I Got A Woman" those are all Sun related tracks, which could probably explain why "Tiger Man" all of the sudden popped into his head - a long distance memory from the past when Binder suggested to go back to his roots. It's obviously a song he remembered from somewhere otherwise he wouldn't have done it.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
shanebrown wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
shanebrown wrote:

The context we were talking about from the 68 special was what was released as the rehearsal tapes. Neither, "saved" nor "up above my head" were in this context. They were sung as production numbers and not part of the stuff he would sing off the top of his head as he did in the dressing room rehearsals. big difference.
yes, we know Elvis' memory about his career were not spot on, but you can take something from his comments.
He may not have recorded "trying to get to you" 18 years earlier, but he did record it, and he remembered that.
So, you can't just erase everything a person says, because there is little truths in there, if you look for them.
Sam phillips may not have released "my happiness", but Elvis did state he went in there and recorded a record, which is true.
I don't think he made up the story about "softy", he just relayed the fake story as it was told to him.
And when he talked about "tiger man" he was not "jokey" at all.
And Elvis could be spot on when he did remember something, such as the time he recalled singing "Til I waltz again with you"
at the school talent show.
or when he said he sang "old shep" at the talent show when he was about 10. He may have forgotten what place he placed, but
it's not a fabricated thing.....he did participate in that show, and we don't have a tape of it, but I am fairly confident he did in fact
sing, "old shep"
Since there is not tape or wire recording of it, do you want to challenge it, and go on record as saying the whole story is fake? Your call.

And that's the key to all this.

He may not have been spot on with dates and times but those things you talk about here did happen.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:06 pm

John wrote:...what are your thoughts on the Chuck Berry session?

To 'warm up' before a 'proper' recording session, Elvis & the band ran through every Chuck Berry
song they could remember in a light-hearted, informal & care-free manner.

When they'd quite finished, the engineer turned the recording equipment on...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Colin B wrote:

His remark that 'not too many people heard it' could mean they considered recording it for his 2nd single,
played around with it in the studio, but never committed it to tape.

Or they might even have recorded it, rejected it, & re-used the tape.

Or the recorded tape could be still be around somewhere.

Unless a recording surfaces, I'm doubtful the real truth will ever be known.

Any of those is plausible. And again, the real truth may never be known.

I think the only possibility lies in that Sam made an acetate off of tape and played it for a DJ for an opinion.

Isn't that how the first version of the slow version of "i'm left your right she's gone" was first discovered and bootlegged?

Really, why would sam make a disc of that version? Did a memphis Dj actually play it over the air?

John

Postby John » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Colin B wrote:

To 'warm up' before a 'proper' recording session, Elvis & the band ran through every Chuck Berry
song they could remember in a light-hearted, informal & care-free manner.

So you say, but I reckon the tapes exist... I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Colin B wrote:To 'warm up' before a 'proper' recording session, Elvis & the band ran through every Chuck Berry song they could remember in a light-hearted,
informal & care-free manner.
John wrote:So you say, but I reckon the tapes exist... I'm sure I read it somewhere.

Well, you did ask for my thoughts on it.

It would be great if such a recording surfaced...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
shanebrown

Postby shanebrown » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:To 'warm up' before a 'proper' recording session, Elvis & the band ran through every Chuck Berry song they could remember in a light-hearted,
John wrote:So you say, but I reckon the tapes exist... I'm sure I read it somewhere.

I have a feeling John was being a tad sarcastic given the comments in the thread about something being true because someone had read that it was?

John

Postby John » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 pm

shanebrown wrote:
Colin B wrote:

I have a feeling John was being a tad sarcastic given the comments in the thread about something being true because someone had read that it was?

Sarcastic? Moi? Now you've dragged me away from your book. Just moving onto the World's Fair chapter.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:49 pm

shanebrown wrote:I have a feeling John was being a tad sarcastic given the comments in the thread about something being true because someone had read that it was?
John wrote:Sarcastic? Moi? Now you've dragged me away from your book. Just moving onto the World's Fair chapter.

The words 'John' & 'sarcastic' should never go together...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
shanebrown

Postby shanebrown » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 am

John wrote:
shanebrown wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Sarcastic? Moi? Now you've dragged me away from your book. Just moving onto the World's Fair chapter.

You got that far and still reading? lol

Return to “Everything Elvis”