TCBCast Podcast Thread

All the Elvis you can take

Suspicious Minds

Re: TCBCast Podcast Thread

Postby Suspicious Minds » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:16 pm

New episodes

TCBCast 063: Red Dead Rio Seco

Apr 23, 2019
A different kind of role, a different kind of man! Justin & Gurdip commemorate the 50th anniversary of Elvis' 1969 western Charro! Justin brings Harry Whittington's novelization of the story to compare while Gurdip bemoans the film that could have been. Keeping with the western theme, Justin's trivia questions are all cowboy-related, and his Song of the Week is Marty Robbin's signature epic cowboy ballad (with a surprising Elvis "cover"), while Gurdip lets the good times roll with a 50s pop hit from a couple of Elvis' contemporaries.

TCBCast 062: LaVern Baker

Apr 16, 2019
TCBCast's full topic discussions are back on schedule with a full deep-dive into the life and music of one of Elvis' influences and contemporaries: LaVern Baker. Justin & Gurdip weave in and out of hits like Tweedle Dee and Jim Dandy to lesser-known tracks with Elvis connections such as Hey Memphis and Shake a Hand. For Song of the Week, Justin picks a once-thought-lost alternate movie title song, while Gurdip pulls a bouncy ballad from the King Creole soundtrack.

*****Please note: This episode features a section featuring historical recordings that include explicit language.****

TCBCast 061: We Got Stung

Apr 9, 2019
On this episode of TCBCast, Justin & Gurdip talk Shazam and Captain Marvel Jr's influence on Elvis, the prospect of Tom Hanks as Colonel Parker in Baz Luhrmann's Elvis biopic, Gurdip thinks Mexico is a city, and for Song of the Week, Gurdip gets stung by a great 50s hit and Justin tackles one of the few rock'n'roll hits by Elvis influence Roy Hamilton

Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 pm

I’ve been listening to a view portions of these podcasts. It’s a great idea that a younger generation Elvis fans used modern techniques to communicate about Elvis. What I’ve heard they give personal opinions about recording sessions – movies etc. I’ve not noticed in the portions I’ve been listening they revealed new – unknown information / played unreleased takes etc.
It takes too much time for me to listen the full podcast(s).

colonel snow

trevorelvis

Postby trevorelvis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:54 am

Justin feel free to give it a plug in my group

Trev

Check out my Elvis Facebook Group www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

And the page https://www.facebook.com/elvispresleyhi ... archingon/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

To those who understand an explanation is not needed. To those who don't understand an explanation is not possible. :D

trevorelvis

Postby trevorelvis » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 am

It’s superb btw

Check out my Elvis Facebook Group www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

And the page https://www.facebook.com/elvispresleyhi ... archingon/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/tcbelvis

To those who understand an explanation is not needed. To those who don't understand an explanation is not possible. :D

Topic author
JustinGausman

Postby JustinGausman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:12 pm

colonel snow wrote:I’ve been listening to a view portions of these podcasts. It’s a great idea that a younger generation Elvis fans used modern techniques to communicate about Elvis. What I’ve heard they give personal opinions about recording sessions – movies etc. I’ve not noticed in the portions I’ve been listening they revealed new – unknown information / played unreleased takes etc.

colonel snow

Hey colonel snow, sorry I'm only just now getting around to responding. I've been very sporadic on my Phoenix visits... far less than I should be! Gurdip & I have never touted ourselves as having access to any new, unknown or unreleased information, takes or content, so I am not sure where you may have gotten that expectation. Our intended audience is, generally speaking, fans who are newer to Elvis, who are seeking to learn more about what is already known. Ideally, Elvis fans with a few years under their belt, a few albums owned and maybe some books read, but wanting to really start learning about the history behind it all. Longtime Elvis fans likely won't learn a whole lot new, but are always welcome to come along for the ride!

At best we're an information aggregate with an emphasis on providing commentary and analysis. Very rarely have we had the opportunity to provide new information, in fact it has surprised me that two or three times we actually have had the opportunity to break some news or provide exciting new insights.

For instance, with the help of the moises.ai separation technology, we believe we have found evidence of Johnny Cash's voice on the earliest sections of the Million Dollar Quartet, particularly on "Softly and Tenderly"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF4UMI5QBQw

Trev, I will definitely be checking out your Facebook group, sorry I missed that as well! I am sorry to hear that SuspiciousMinds has been MIA from Phoenix as he seemed to enjoy the show.

John

Postby John » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:59 pm

JustinGausman wrote:
colonel snow wrote:I’ve been listening to a view portions of these podcasts. It’s a great idea that a younger generation Elvis fans used modern techniques to communicate about Elvis. What I’ve heard they give personal opinions about recording sessions – movies etc. I’ve not noticed in the portions I’ve been listening they revealed new – unknown information / played unreleased takes etc.

colonel snow

Hey colonel snow, sorry I'm only just now getting around to responding. I've been very sporadic on my Phoenix visits... far less than I should be! Gurdip & I have never touted ourselves as having access to any new, unknown or unreleased information, takes or content, so I am not sure where you may have gotten that expectation. Our intended audience is, generally speaking, fans who are newer to Elvis, who are seeking to learn more about what is already known. Ideally, Elvis fans with a few years under their belt, a few albums owned and maybe some books read, but wanting to really start learning about the history behind it all. Longtime Elvis fans likely won't learn a whole lot new, but are always welcome to come along for the ride!

At best we're an information aggregate with an emphasis on providing commentary and analysis. Very rarely have we had the opportunity to provide new information, in fact it has surprised me that two or three times we actually have had the opportunity to break some news or provide exciting new insights.

For instance, with the help of the moises.ai separation technology, we believe we have found evidence of Johnny Cash's voice on the earliest sections of the Million Dollar Quartet, particularly on "Softly and Tenderly"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF4UMI5QBQw

Trev, I will definitely be checking out your Facebook group, sorry I missed that as well! I am sorry to hear that SuspiciousMinds has been MIA from Phoenix as he seemed to enjoy the show.

Thanks for that, very interesting. I think you may have a point there about Johnny.

As for Suspicious Minds, his last private post was rather cryptic, his health was very poor, and I fear we may not see him again, sadly.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:33 pm

John wrote:I got halfway through whilst out in the car this morning. Enjoyed it, went to start listening again after my appointment and got an ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT message.
My car may not be an Elvis fan.

Should have bought a Cadillac !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:I got halfway through whilst out in the car this morning. Enjoyed it, went to start listening again after my appointment and got an ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT message.

Should have bought a Cadillac !

It's taken you over two years to respond to my post. You got nothing better to do?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:19 pm

John wrote:I got halfway through whilst out in the car this morning.
Enjoyed it, went to start listening again after my appointment and got an ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT message.
Colin B wrote:Should have bought a Cadillac !
John wrote:It's taken you over two years to respond to my post.
You got nothing better to do?

Probably not.

But the thread was made 'current' again yesterday...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
JustinGausman

Postby JustinGausman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:42 pm

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:I got halfway through whilst out in the car this morning.
Enjoyed it, went to start listening again after my appointment and got an ENGINE SYSTEMS FAULT message.
Colin B wrote:Should have bought a Cadillac !
John wrote:It's taken you over two years to respond to my post.
You got nothing better to do?

Probably not.

But the thread was made 'current' again yesterday...

:lol: Sorry fellas! This one's on me. I came in to respond to post an update, and then got distracted catching up on stuff I missed in this thread and elsewhere on the forum. So here's that update:

I'm happy to report the show is still going strong, we're now up to 107 episodes released, with a full schedule of topics for the foreseeable future! Our 2nd year was chock full of far-ranging topics. Lots of movies, albums, sessions, influences and miscellaneous topics covered. Our most fun topics were the ones covering oddball corners of the Elvis fandom, like an episode on Elvis-themed novelty songs, and the Hidden Mysteries Graceland video game. The meat and potatoes of our show, the Song of the Week segment, is up to 167 Elvis songs covered so far!

And we have been especially proud to welcome guests from other rock'n'roll history or Elvis related projects, including Jaime Kay from the Jungle Room podcast, Nate Wilcox from Let it Roll, Andrew Hickey from A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs, and now this week and next, Andrew Shoemaker from Jailhouse Talk, with a planned crossover between us and the guys over at A Little More Conversation: The Elvis Podcast in April.

It's been really exciting to watch the audience for the show grow organically, we haven't done any marketing other than word of mouth. Like I mentioned earlier, our primary target is either new Elvis fans or fans with a few years under their belt looking to go deeper, but we're thrilled to have more longtime fans on board too... older fans especially tend to have the best war stories. Looking forward to the rest of 2020 and beyond!

John Coctostan

Postby John Coctostan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:57 am

Just read that Jaime Kay, sometimes guest on the TCBCast, has passed away.
My thoughts & prayers go out to Jaime, her family and friends.

John Coctostan

Postby John Coctostan » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:00 am

It would be remiss of me to not mention the wonderful Country Music series currently running on the TCBCast......the knowledge and production values are top shelf.

Kudos to Justin & Garrett Cash.
\
https://tcbcast.libsyn.com/

John

Postby John » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:05 am

John Coctostan wrote:Just read that Jaime Kay, sometimes guest on the TCBCast, has passed away.
My thoughts & prayers go out to Jaime, her family and friends.

Sorry to hear that. R.I.P. Jaime Kay.

Topic author
JustinGausman

Postby JustinGausman » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:08 pm

John Coctostan wrote:It would be remiss of me to not mention the wonderful Country Music series currently running on the TCBCast......the knowledge and production values are top shelf.

\

I only extremely rarely hop in on the Phoenix forum nowadays but was surprised to see a recent bump re: Jaime Kay and the country series. Thank you, John, for your kind comments on both fronts. Garrett will be happy to hear you enjoyed it. Jaime Kay (aka the Jungle Room Lady) was a very sweet woman with a hell of a sense of humor and is sorely missed.

John Coctostan

Postby John Coctostan » Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:54 am

JustinGausman wrote:
John Coctostan wrote:It would be remiss of me to not mention the wonderful Country Music series currently running on the TCBCast......the knowledge and production values are top shelf.

\

I only extremely rarely hop in on the Phoenix forum nowadays but was surprised to see a recent bump re: Jaime Kay and the country series. Thank you, John, for your kind comments on both fronts. Garrett will be happy to hear you enjoyed it. Jaime Kay (aka the Jungle Room Lady) was a very sweet woman with a hell of a sense of humor and is sorely missed.

You're welcome Justin......I'm just listening to the final episode.....I really hope the listeners appreciate both the time involved in researching and presenting something like this, as well as how professional the presentation is as a whole.

I cannot express strongly enough what a treat this series has been.

Thank you, Justin & Garrett.

Return to “Everything Elvis”