THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

All the Elvis you can take

cadillac-elvis

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:09 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
DarylR wrote:During the pre-show, the intermission between films, and the post show, was there any mention by any of the people involved with the film (Priscilla, Thom Zimny, Jerry Schilling, etc.) of when we might see a home video / DVD / BluRay release? Also was there any talk of an extended cut of the film being released to home video or possible bonus features found on the home video release? I know Priscilla mentioned at SXSW that initially they wanted to make the film 6 hours long. I presume she mentioned this only because I have a gut feeling that there will be an extended version released to home video / BluRay / DVD.

I sure wish I had thought to ask that, DarylR. Nobody mentioned anything about a possible DVD in the future, but of course that doesn't mean there won't be a DVD release.

After seeing this, I personally do feel that Elvis' life & career deserved at least a 6-hour documentary.
As it was, Part 1 covered 1935 thru the end of 1959. Part 2 covered early 1960 thru 1976, but of course the docu. does mention Elvis' death.
The voice-over described Elvis as dying "during a break in his tour"... as if the June shows and the coming August shows were part of the same tour.

I would've preferred an even more in-depth documentary . . .

Part 1 - Two hours ~ 1935 -thru- 1959
Part 2 - Two hours ~ 1960 -thru- 1968
Part 3 - Two hours ~ 1969 -thru- 1977

Bonus DVD disc... Part 4 - Two hours ~ August 16, 1977 -thru- August 16, 2017

Now that would rival what was done for the Beatles 1995 Anthology television and subsequent dvd productions. Bring it On !

Walter did you miss "the definitive Elvis", which was a 6 part DVD set, longer than 6 hours if I recall correctly.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:14 am

My Dream documentary would go like this.

Part one---childhood up to late 1955.
Part two---Stardom. 1955-1958.
Part three--The army years.
Part four---Elvis is back up to about 1963.
Part five---the movie years. to about 1967.
Part six---the comeback years....1967 thru 1969.
Part seven--the concert years.....1970 to 1976.
Part eight---the final years.....

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:17 am

Wouldn't 'Part eight' be the final months ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:21 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
DarylR wrote:During the pre-show, the intermission between films, and the post show, was there any mention by any of the people involved with the film (Priscilla, Thom Zimny, Jerry Schilling, etc.) of when we might see a home video / DVD / BluRay release? Also was there any talk of an extended cut of the film being released to home video or possible bonus features found on the home video release? I know Priscilla mentioned at SXSW that initially they wanted to make the film 6 hours long. I presume she mentioned this only because I have a gut feeling that there will be an extended version released to home video / BluRay / DVD.

I sure wish I had thought to ask that, DarylR. Nobody mentioned anything about a possible DVD in the future, but of course that doesn't mean there won't be a DVD release.

After seeing this, I personally do feel that Elvis' life & career deserved at least a 6-hour documentary.
As it was, Part 1 covered 1935 thru the end of 1959. Part 2 covered early 1960 thru 1976, but of course the docu. does mention Elvis' death.
The voice-over described Elvis as dying "during a break in his tour"... as if the June shows and the coming August shows were part of the same tour.

Now that would rival what was done for the Beatles 1995 Anthology television and subsequent dvd productions. Bring it On !

Walter did you miss "the definitive Elvis", which was a 6 part DVD set, longer than 6 hours if I recall correctly.

Thanks. Never touched that one, mate. When it was on release i recall reading the reviews and mostly on the negative side, regarding the lack of footage they were allowed only so much and snippets of songs. This wasn't backed by the Estate, was it ?

a mess of Polk salad

Postby a mess of Polk salad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:38 am

Jukebox wrote:

It does seem strange that no footage from the main Aloha show was utilised...that said the rehearsal performances are very good especially FEVER - WHAT NOW MY LOVE and HOUND DOG - and indeed STEAMROLLER BLUES - pretty stunning in fact ...

Regarding 1969 photos there are many stunning on stage photos available , shame if none were used !

a mess of Polk salad

Postby a mess of Polk salad » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:47 am

Jukebox wrote:
a mess of Polk salad wrote:Please how good regarding picture quality was the Elvis & Frank Sinatra "Welcome Home Elvis" footage?
Had it been cleaned up?

Well, we saw it on a big theater screen, so I was able to see all of the imperfections in the film. It might look a little better from a DVD source.

One important thing to know about a lot of the Elvis television film footage:
In some segments it was as if they were deliberately trying to make the '68 Comeback footage, and the '73 Aloha footage look old and dated as if the viewer is looking back in history. Therefore, I think there'll be a lot of disappointed fans not getting certain footage in pristine condition.

I think the strangest decision they made was not including any footage at all from the main Aloha satellite concert! What they did include was all from the rehearsal show, but they were passing it off as the Aloha From Hawaii via Satellite show. I find that bizarre.

a mess of Polk salad wrote:Please are there any photos from 1969 , press conference, on stage etc...? Thank you

Strangely enough, they used one 1969 press conference photo to pass it off as a 1968 press conference photo to discuss the then upcoming production of the NBC-TV Special. Of course, I noticed right away that his sideburns were too big for early '68. However, for those not knowing much about Elvis' career, it'll do.

Probably will look better on TV screens ...shame more 1969 on stage pics not used ...And regarding ALOHA think the rehearsal footage is good enough with many standout performances but would have liked an attempt to show it in best quality ...that said I gotta watch it first !

KEV

Postby KEV » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:52 am

Yer man ROY should not have been past over,he was the boys hero and we all know the pictures and footgage from MEMPHIS 1969 that could be used.

With/if the dvd etc comes out what EDITIED will we get ie,new footage and pictures on other singers,james burton,etc thats left of on the TV version?.

Time will tell.

Was any of the MEMPHIS BOYS interview ... REG YOUNG,BOBBY WOOD,CHIPS himself?.
Keep the FAITH MIKE :!: :!:

KEV

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:06 pm

OK - Relax now - Priscilla is 'promoting' the documentary:

- Priscilla Promotes 'The Searcher'
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Colin B wrote:OK - Relax now - Priscilla is 'promoting' the documentary:

Yeah, thanks.
I stopped reading right here:

Presley has produced the movie, which is all about the rock and roller’s final recording session at Graceland’s jungle room.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:28 pm

TonyS wrote:...I stopped reading right here:

Presley has produced the movie, which is all about the rock and roller’s final recording session at Graceland’s jungle room.

Odd why they should think that...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:52 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
WalterHaleJnr wrote:
Jukebox wrote:

Thanks. Never touched that one, mate. When it was on release i recall reading the reviews and mostly on the negative side, regarding the lack of footage they were allowed only so much and snippets of songs. This wasn't backed by the Estate, was it ?

It was not backed by the estate, and that makes zero difference to me anyway.
I don't think most documentaries use a lot of unreleased footage, since they are just trying to tell a story.
Does it look like this one has a ton of unreleased footage? no. Or Elvis by the presleys? No.
They spinkle enough in there to make it work.

The Definitive set being so long, covers much more details and stories within, than any other Elvis documentary.

KEV

Postby KEV » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Will non fans buy DVD?

how many countrys have HBO?

All i know is i miss the boy,hope this doc gives him the respect over all for his music.

KEV

DarylR

Postby DarylR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 pm

Do they mention the Charles Boyer album, "Where Does Love Go" in the film?

KEV

Postby KEV » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:18 pm

KEV

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Colin B wrote:OK - Relax now - Priscilla is 'promoting' the documentary:

and here

https://soundcloud.com/the-baystar-dude ... roundtable

Return to “Everything Elvis”