THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: THE SEARCHER - I've seen it and I liked it, but . . .

Postby Jukebox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 am

I had posted earlier --
If my memory serves me correctly the only songs they played in their entirety
without any interruptions from voice-overs were "Hurt" and "If I Can Dream".

~ Now I recall that "Crawfish" was also shown in its entirety in Part One.
I suppose the producers wanted the unfamiliar viewers to see a different side of Elvis other than the already well-known "Jailhouse Rock Elvis".

DarylR wrote:How much input did Ernst have as far as the voice over interviews?

Ernst did several short voice-overs throughout the documentary, but I don't remember exactly how many.

KEV wrote:Was any of the MEMPHIS BOYS interview ... REG YOUNG,BOBBY WOOD,CHIPS himself?.

No... not to my recollection.

KEV wrote:... hope this doc gives him the respect over all for his music.

I believe it will. Perhaps there'll be a moderate-to-respectable surge in sales of Elvis' music this year once the documentary starts showing on HBO.
Hopefully it'll be shown numerous times this year.

DarylR wrote:Do they mention the Charles Boyer album, "Where Does Love Go" in the film?

I don't think so... not that I recall.
I'm happy to be an Elvis fan! 8-)

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 am

TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:OK - Relax now - Priscilla is 'promoting' the documentary:

- Priscilla Promotes 'The Searcher'

Yeah, thanks.
I stopped reading right here:
"Presley has produced the movie, which is all about the rock and roller’s final recording session at Graceland’s jungle room."

Something that needs to be pointed-out in that article from the link --

Despite this ongoing battle (with drugs), the star didn’t let it affect his music, which director of the documentary, Thom Zimny, was keen to point out. He said: ‘When I was looking at certain tracks [from] the very end of his life, I still have this feeling that there was a man who was connecting to the music and that this story has been told one way.'

Zimny was referring to the tracks recorded at Graceland, but in the documentary it was pointed out by the voice-over
that the drugs certainly did affect and hinder Elvis' abilities on stage in a detrimental way many times during his final years.
Last edited by Jukebox on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KEV

Postby KEV » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 am

Thank you for your time and answers.
Keep the FAITH MIKE :!: :!:

KEV

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 am

Jukebox wrote:
TonyS wrote:

Yeah, thanks.
"Presley has produced the movie, which is all about the rock and roller’s final recording session at Graceland’s jungle room."

Despite this ongoing battle (with drugs), the star didn’t let it affect his music, which director of the documentary, Thom Zimny, was keen to point out. He said: ‘When I was looking at certain tracks [from] the very end of his life, I still have this feeling that there was a man who was connecting to the music and that this story has been told one way.'

Zimny was referring to the tracks recorded at Graceland, but in the documentary it was pointed out by the voice-over
that the drugs certainly did affect and hinder Elvis' abilities on stage in a detrimental way many times during his final years.

I have to ask who provided that voice-over and for what context was it meant to represent ? I had the impression that the doc was going to finish up with the Jungle room recording sessions of February , 1976.

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:35 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:
Jukebox wrote:
TonyS wrote:

Yeah, thanks.

I have to ask who provided that voice-over and for what context was it meant to represent? I had the impression that the doc was going to finish up with the Jungle room recording sessions of February, 1976.

I wish I could say for sure who the narrator was at the time of the above comments (near the end of the documentary), but I don't remember. Maybe it was Jerry Schilling or Thom Zimny or someone else. Whoever it was, the statement was accurate.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:52 am

thanks Jukebox,
Was any of the performance footage from the 70s complete?
Like Burning Love and Separate Ways from OT rehersals?

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Hey Jukebox...
Just want to say thanks for all your trouble on this, it's appreciated.
The title of this post is just about how I think I'll feel when I get to see it.
I'll like it... but... ;)

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

HD_RES wrote:thanks Jukebox,

Ya' know, the more I think about it, "Separate Ways" (mock rehearsal version) might have been complete. They used a lot of different home-movie footage pieced together of Elvis & Priscilla during that song. While it was playing I leaned over to my brother to remind him that Red West wrote it.

"Burning Love" was an outtake also from the mock rehearsal. Immediately after the song Elvis takes a sip of water from his personal glass-bottle and then jokingly states that he accidentally bumped his mouth (teeth) on the edge of the bottle.

KEV

Postby KEV » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:17 pm

This DOC"s were made for the WORLD and not just fans ... i write this as a fellow fan (Hellow) as i have read some strange things like if loads of NEW footage is not to be used etc than its another DOC and we will have to wait another 10 years to see if some one else will get it right.

The STORY and the MUSIC is what needs to be right or near as.

Wonder if there will be a BOOK to go along with this?.
Keep the FAITH MIKE :!: :!:

KEV

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Of great significance...

The focus of the documentary by the producers was to attempt to give an honest overview and evaluation of Elvis' musical career.
They clearly wanted the viewers to know that Elvis' artistic decline in the mid-1960s was not due to lack of talent, but due to some awkward/poor decision-making by him and his manager Colonel Tom Parker. One thing they made clear near the beginning of Part 2 (1960) was that Elvis was now in uncharted territory concerning what direction a rock-n-roller's career should take in order to keep him on top after being away in the military for almost 2 years.

They also wanted the viewers to know that his decline in the mid-1970s wasn't from lack of talent on his part. Therefore, I feel that they did the right thing by letting it be known that Elvis' addiction to prescription medication played a major role in his personal outlook & unconventional decision-making during the last few years of his life.

gerry

Postby gerry » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:00 pm

Well in 1977. April 21 st. I think less than 4 months till Elvis passed.

Elvis was legitimately back In the top ten uk singles with new material. And imo giving an inspired performance again.

So yeah the talent was still there.

But I will repeat does this film demo strate that Elvis was back to his absolute peak as an entertaner and artistic brilliance health- in every respect as brilliant as he ever was.

Im talking about the short window of time AFTER. the 68 Special. Im talking about just few months from Aug 1969. Through Jan / Feb 70 when Elvis was literally back.

The world seems to think after the ^
68 Special it was down hill white jumpsuits and drugz etc.

it would be a shame if this film doesnt address this.

Elvis was dynamic dynamite live performer AUG 69 through to Feb 70 perhaps just a liitle less during. TTWII .

But there iz no footage from there I wS hoping they would use the 8mm of 69 and the great feb 70 8mm even if just short clips.

I was hoping that they addresses this short period and did it justice to show Elvis was back .

Future generations may never know about those epic live performances.

Yes the film is about the life but there remainz this idea that vegas Elvis was like some El is impersonTer.

When truth is he was back to his best albeit shortlived.

Johnny2523

Postby Johnny2523 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Jukebox wrote:
HD_RES wrote:thanks Jukebox,

Ya' know, the more I think about it, "Separate Ways" (mock rehearsal version) might have been complete. They used a lot of different home-movie footage pieced together of Elvis & Priscilla during that song. While it was playing I leaned over to my brother to remind him that Red West wrote it.

"Burning Love" was an outtake also from the mock rehearsal. Immediately after the song Elvis takes a sip of water from his personal glass-bottle and then jokingly states that he accidentally bumped his mouth (teeth) on the edge of the bottle.

Was there more to see of separate ways footage then we saw in elvis on tour? (That only showed the first part of the song) ?

Topic author
Jukebox
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jukebox » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 pm

gerry wrote:... does this film demonstrate that Elvis was back to his absolute peak as an entertainer and artistic brilliance health- in every respect as brilliant as he ever was? ... I'm talking about the short window of time AFTER the 68 Special. I'm talking about just few months from Aug 1969 through Jan/Feb '70 when Elvis was literally back.

Yes.

Johnny2523 wrote:Was there more to see of "separate ways" footage then we saw in elvis on tour?

Maybe a little bit.

John

Postby John » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:16 pm

Hey Jukebox, thanks for going to all that trouble of sharing your thoughts with us. Much appreciated.

gerry

Postby gerry » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:19 am

Thankyou

Return to “Everything Elvis”