Kurt Russell as Elvis

All the Elvis you can take

John

Re: Kurt Russell as Elvis

Postby John » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Pacer wrote:They made an soundtrack album with that awful ronnie mc dowell vocals?

Ronnie was an OK singer.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:21 pm

I saw the movie at the cinema in 1979 (maybe 1980), and I liked it a lot. I haven't seen it since then.

A good friend of mine went to see the movie several times, and in one of those occasions she managed to sneak a small cassette recorder just to catch the scene where "Elvis" sings "My Happiness". I remember she lent me the tape as a small treasure.

Those were very innocent, but very exciting, times.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:23 pm

John wrote:
Pacer wrote:They made an soundtrack album with that awful ronnie mc dowell vocals?

Ronnie was an OK singer.

Maybe as a singer...if he hadn`t tried elvis.
a thin voice, no balls on the 50`s songs.....his voice cracks on the rocking stuff and especially on the high notes...
i was and am very disappointed when hearing him on those movies (also on "elvis and me".....really bad, ok...in terms of elvis impersonators there is always room to the bottom.....but i don`t consider him "OK" in terms of mimicking elvis. Hell, i heard better frank sinatra impersonators...and he is not easy to mimmick.....with that distinctive voice.....)
its not only that he doesnt`t sound like elvis...i could live with that....but his limitations with his voals shows in those two movies, a few examples excluded....my happiness is quite well sung actually..
but on all uptempo and rock songs he fails miserably in my ears and sounds amateurish to me...sorry for sounding harsh...but thats my honest opinion.

John

Postby John » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:06 pm

Pacer wrote:
John wrote:

Ronnie was an OK singer.

a thin voice, no balls on the 50`s songs.....his voice cracks on the rocking stuff and especially on the high notes...
i was and am very disappointed when hearing him on those movies (also on "elvis and me".....really bad, ok...in terms of elvis impersonators there is always room to the bottom.....but i don`t consider him "OK" in terms of mimicking elvis. Hell, i heard better frank sinatra impersonators...and he is not easy to mimmick.....with that distinctive voice.....)
its not only that he doesnt`t sound like elvis...i could live with that....but his limitations with his voals shows in those two movies, a few examples excluded....my happiness is quite well sung actually..
but on all uptempo and rock songs he fails miserably in my ears and sounds amateurish to me...sorry for sounding harsh...but thats my honest opinion.

You're entitled. I still think he's fine. I'd never buy any of his records, but then I'd never buy any Willie Nelson either, or Pavarotti.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 pm

I heard once a version of "blue christmas" by him on youtub with millie perkins (and the jordanaires?) Sitting on chairs.....it was a very good version,relaxed

Gut when i heard him on that elvis movie with curt Russel(besides my happiness) on elvis and me and on the early 90s elvis series......no thanks....
Really bad on the rock n roll songs that ronnie....
A complete mismatch.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Image

From the Jarvis estate. Felton's souvenirs (I would like to share), from the Elvis film with Kurt Russell that Felton Jarvis produced (music)..including autograph made to Felton that shows Kurt was sure at least, the music was good! ....plus a load of stills, jacket, soundtrack album, and a script. I will post these if there is interest.
This type purchasing/acquiring thing "opened the door" for the excellent Elvis materials most here have witnessed me sharing! One never knows what sill awaiting to be "discovered". :)

Wonderful Juan, thank you, what you share, as you do, brings joy.

:D

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:49 pm

Pacer wrote:
John wrote:

Ronnie was an OK singer.

You should produce and or mix music, Pacer.

Your listening skills have me going back and listening to the music you refer to (which I enjoy doing), and then I hear what you have pointed out, doing so for me, gives more detail to the music, which brings it even more alive, so it is more enjoyable.

I agree, for Ronnie to imitate Elvis' voice range from baritone to tenor, Ronnie did not have the low range of baritone to imitate,as Elvis.

I don't know, if, thus far, after all these years, if anyone can imitate Elvis' voice.

Is there anyone?

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Sandi Miller was also on set. Sandi said that they all went out to dinner with Kurt, and that Kurt was very down to earth and fun to be around.

I think that one can see and feel Kurt's humour, as Elvis, in the film, and that is one of the reasons why I think that Kurt's portrayal of Elvis worked so well, as Kurt could naturally capture Elvis' humour, Kurt lifted the movie. I recall saying to myself, my usual when watching a film like this, "This is not Elvis I am going to not like this", yet, Kurt, although nothing like Elvis, to me, portrayed Elvis as Kurt, better than anyone else ever has.

John

Postby John » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:
Pacer wrote:
John wrote:

Ronnie was an OK singer.

Your listening skills have me going back and listening to the music you refer to (which I enjoy doing), and then I hear what you have pointed out, doing so for me, gives more detail to the music, which brings it even more alive, so it is more enjoyable.

I agree, for Ronnie to imitate Elvis' voice range from baritone to tenor, Ronnie did not have the low range of baritone to imitate,as Elvis.

I don't know, if, thus far, after all these years, if anyone can imitate Elvis' voice.

Is there anyone?

I’m not into these imps, so I’m not familiar with them, but I think Orion was as close as you could get.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 pm

John wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:
Pacer wrote:
John wrote:

Ronnie was an OK singer.

Is there anyone?

I’m not into these imps, so I’m not familiar with them, but I think Orion was as close as you could get.

I'm not either, I guess my comment, although I placed a question mark, really should have been rhetorical, although, really, what I said is valid. There is not anyone, not even Orion (Orion's life was sad) as his voice, to me, sounded like a tenor's.

The singer needs so many variables.

Thanks, John.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:57 pm

I thought Orion has the voice of the 70's Elvis down pretty good.
Check out a song called, "Born". Really nice.

Vince Everett has the 50's sound down pretty well.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:16 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought Orion has the voice of the 70's Elvis down pretty good.

Thanks, Cadillac-Elvis.

I listened, and for me, Orion's voice does not have the depth, the base notes, as his voice is not as strong as Elvis', Orion, to me, cannot sustain the note. Orion does not have the breathing nor the tone, the timing, either. (This, of course, is only my point of view, and fun for me to listen for the differences).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev9vNJT3bwM

Elvis:

There is depth, Elvis' voice has so much unreleased power, that his voice surrounds the listener, and always, when he sings tenderly, his voice caresses, and also, Elvis voice is also rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWF66JZbtXU

Of course Orion's version above is live, and Elvis' version is not; however, Elvis' voice to me, live, was similar to a studio recording.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:I thought Orion has the voice of the 70's Elvis down pretty good.

And in my opinion, effortlessly. As if he naturally sang like that. For those that do not know, it was Felton Jarvis that discovered and produced him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-969AVY0I

Topic author
Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 pm

[quote="Mountain Mist"][/quote]

Wonderful Juan, thank you, what you share, as you do, brings joy.

Thank you.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:51 pm

And some samples:

Return to “Everything Elvis”