John

Re: The Sayaka Alessandra Appreciation Topic X

Postby John » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:33 am

Mountain Mist wrote:
John wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:
STEVE MORSE wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:Hi Steve,

Besides your very true description of Sayaka's tone and voice, I was wondering if you were also looking for the adjective of "a groove".

Sayaka has such a good groove going.

She is a talented musician.

Oh, I see - it's not an expression I would normally use. ;)

I think we would all love a Q&A session with her. She doesn't appear to be particularly ambitious musically - maybe she's just content with what she's doing, which is quite refreshing. Just my supposition, of course.

Hi Steve,

I thought that "groove" (groovy) was from the 1970's or so; however, (I love Facebook for this) the session musicians, from the 1970's, use this terminology up until today, when referring to really good musicians. I like the term, for me, it is all encompassing and a fun term used by professional musicians.

I would like to suggest that perhaps Sayaka may be trying to build her audience to make her living from Youtube.

The reason I say this, there is a gardening Youtube channel I watch, (plus there are many others) the couple on this channel make enough money to live very nicely, together, at home, with their children, while humbly and jokingly, planning for capital investments in the future. Good on them.

You can get her to sing happy birthday for you for $15.

https://www.fiverr.com/sayalessandra/si ... XweK6xAf7U

We should all put some money towards Sayaka singing Happy Birthday, to you and Colin, for all the work on the site. ;)

Nice thought, thank you. Trouble is, you don't know when my birthday is.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 am

:D

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:31 am

Mountain Mist wrote:We should all put some money towards Sayaka singing Happy Birthday, to you and Colin, for all the work on the site. ;)
John wrote:Nice thought, thank you.
Trouble is, you don't know when my birthday is.

That is a nice thought !

Thanks !

I stopped having 'birthdays' a few years back...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:42 am

Colin B wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:We should all put some money towards Sayaka singing Happy Birthday, to you and Colin, for all the work on the site. ;)

That is a nice thought !

Thanks !

We take great pleasure in celebrating all birthdays in my family. They are always joyous occasions. Even during lockdown we have done it via Zoom and videos. Even my late mum who reached the age of 90 always loved these occasions.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:23 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:

That is a nice thought !

Thanks !

We take great pleasure in celebrating all birthdays in my family. They are always joyous occasions. Even during lockdown we have done it via Zoom and videos. Even my late mum who reached the age of 90 always loved these occasions.

It is a great idea to dial the clock back (ignore getting older), plus, a great idea to celebrate.

A happy non Birthday celebration :D lol ;)

Cheers :D

John

Postby John » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Nigella parody by Sayaka Alessandra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeqMVcDiPCk

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Miss the singing & playing...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:15 am

John wrote:Nigella parody by Sayaka Alessandra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeqMVcDiPCk

Sayaka, is so funny. I was laughing while watching.

A wonderful, talented, parody.

Thanks, John.

John

Postby John » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:26 pm

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Thanks John. I would bet we already had this one somewhere in this thread, but I will not complain at all.

Steve, have you seen this one ? ;)

John

Postby John » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:18 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks John. I would bet we already had this one somewhere in this thread, but I will not complain at all.

I wasn't sure, it was quicker to post it.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:54 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Yes - this has to be one of the best videos she's made. Ironically, it's not a 50s song, the era she seems to relate to the most.

I dig "in The Summertime". It's a great song, and it brings memories of one of the first albums I owned - a late 70s compilation of 60s and 70s classics. Check out this amazing track listing - and "Twist And Shout" is the live version at the Star-Club, a real stunner :

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Explosion-60/release/4399554

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukWaX13FBlc

John

Postby John » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Yes - this has to be one of the best videos she's made. Ironically, it's not a 50s song, the era she seems to relate to the most.

I dig "in The Summertime". It's a great song, and it brings memories of one of the first albums I owned - a late 70s compilation of 60s and 70s classics. Check out this amazing track listing - and "Twist And Shout" is the live version at the Star-Club, a real stunner :

Great compilation on that album. I've got them all except the Tommy James and the Status Quo ones. I've never even heard of that one.

I bought the In The Summertime single in 1970. Mungo Jerry was the first band I ever saw live at the local Top Rank the same year. The jug band music was great, but nearly every song was the same - ch ch-ch, ch ch-ch, although at different tempos, with Jerry Dorsey stamping his foot on the floor and whoever it was blowing into the huge bottle. It was great stuff.

This was on the B side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeb269bvLc

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:33 pm

John wrote:Great compilation on that album. I've got them all except the Tommy James and the Status Quo ones. I've never even heard of that one.

I bought the In The Summertime single in 1970. Mungo Jerry was the first band I ever saw live at the local Top Rank the same year. The jug band music was great, but nearly every song was the same - ch ch-ch, ch ch-ch, although at different tempos, with Jerry Dorsey stamping his foot on the floor and whoever it was blowing into the huge bottle. It was great stuff.

This was on the B side:

Wow, not bad for a B side. Dorsey is playing a kazoo. The Lovin' Spoonful were also on the jug band kick. I have most of their stuff and they were really great too.

Regarding those tracks by Status Quo and Tommy James & The Shondells, you should look for them on YouTube. They are great. I'm not much of Status Quo fan, but "Gerdundula" (not "Gerundula", as that LP wrongly lists) is a cool recording, I think. Looking through YT, there are two versions of this track by Status Quo. They are basically the same recording, but the single version is less produced and a bit shorter. The album version is the one on my album. Same for the Shondells' track, but reversed. The one on the album is shorter and there is a longer one available (see below). I really dig its hypnotic quality :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpGEeneO-t0

John

Postby John » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:Great compilation on that album. I've got them all except the Tommy James and the Status Quo ones. I've never even heard of that one.

This was on the B side:

Wow, not bad for a B side. Dorsey is playing a kazoo. The Lovin' Spoonful were also on the jug band kick. I have most of their stuff and they were really great too.

Regarding those tracks by Status Quo and Tommy James & The Shondells, you should look for them on YouTube. They are great. I'm not much of Status Quo fan, but "Gerdundula" (not "Gerundula", as that LP wrongly lists) is a cool recording, I think. Looking through YT, there are two versions of this track by Status Quo. They are basically the same recording, but the single version is less produced and a bit shorter. The album version is the one on my album. Same for the Shondells' track, but reversed. The one on the album is shorter and there is a longer one available (see below). I really dig its hypnotic quality :

I did look up the Quo one. It was OK. I'm not that into Tommy James.

I also saw Quo about 15 years ago at the Henley Festival. They were past their best by then, but still rocking. I've got some photos taken from a distance, somewhere. Sitting directly in front of me was John Madejski (local entrepreneur) and Cilla Black.

Back in 1975/6 I worked for Coca-Cola in Reading and one of the telesales girls said her brother (or might have been brother in law) had asked her to go and work for him as he was starting up a magazine to sell cars. It was called Thames Valley Trader, which became Auto Trader. She didn't think it was such a good idea. How wrong can you be?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Madejski

Return to “Off Topic”