Trivia Quiz - No.947 - Solved

Pit your wits against the quiz master

Topic author
Colin B

Re: Trivia Quiz - No.947 - Disputed

Postby Colin B » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:49 pm

HillbillyCat wrote:Hmm... The man with the glasses next to Elvis and the envelope look familiar. In April I posted another photo in the "Rarely Seen Photos" thread that was taken on August 12, 1956, but Elvis is wearing a different (brighter) jacket and the drums look different too:

I'm still confused, if his jacket is different & the drums are different, how can the pics all come from 12th August, 1956, in New Orleans ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:42 am

Colin B wrote:
HillbillyCat wrote:Hmm... The man with the glasses next to Elvis and the envelope look familiar. In April I posted another photo in the "Rarely Seen Photos" thread that was taken on August 12, 1956, but Elvis is wearing a different (brighter) jacket and the drums look different too:

I'm still confused, if his jacket is different & the drums are different, how can the pics all come from 12th August, 1956, in New Orleans ?

Elvis played two shows that day - 4:00 PM and 8:15 PM, hence the different suits

During those shows, he was given the key to the city, and probably they did that at each one of the shows, and took care each time that the giveaway was being inmortalised, hence the two different photos (and no guitar in one of the pics).

As for the drums, one of them is clearly DJ Fontana's, and the other must be have belonged to the drummer in the Al Dvorin Orchestra, who backed some of the opening acts.

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:29 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Elvis played two shows that day - 4:00 PM and 8:15 PM, hence the different suits

During those shows, he was given the key to the city, and probably they did that at each one of the shows, and took care each time that the giveaway was being inmortalised, hence the two different photos (and no guitar in one of the pics).

As for the drums, one of them is clearly DJ Fontana's, and the other must be have belonged to the drummer in the Al Dvorin Orchestra, who backed some of the opening acts.

That's exactly what struck me as a bit odd about the whole thing: Why did they do something like this twice? Maybe they wanted to impress the respective audience - even at the risk that someone who attended both concerts might find it ridiculous to give someone a key he already owns? :lol: On elvisconcerts.com you can find a concert review of the newspaper "The Times-Picayune". Unfortunately it is not clear from it that this ceremony was held twice: "He was also presented with a key to the city and a scroll bearing more than 5000 signatures of youthful New Orleanians who would wish him luck..." It comes as a bit of a surprise that reporter Pen Wilson did not use this to make another derogatory comment in his already scathing review... :roll:

Topic author
Colin B

Re: Trivia Quiz - No.947 - Solved

Postby Colin B » Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:52 pm

Thanks to Private Presley, Mister Moon & HillbillyCat for all the info !
Well done Jupiter for getting it right all along !
And apologies for my misunderstandings !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Jupiter

Re: Trivia Quiz - No.947 - Solved

Postby Jupiter » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:13 pm

Everything o.k. Colin.B.
And let us be happy that we have such good people like Private Presley, Mister Moon & HillbillyCat in this forum.

Jupiter

Return to “The Trivia Quiz”