Pat Boone recalls 1955 Brooklyn High School rock concert with Elvis.... who?

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Private Presley

Pat Boone recalls 1955 Brooklyn High School rock concert with Elvis.... who?

Postby Private Presley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 pm

ImageImage

Colin B

Re: Pat Boone recalls 1955 Brooklyn High School rock concert with Elvis.... who?

Postby Colin B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Private Presley wrote:https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/02/6c984b606a5172/headliner-pat-boone-recalls-1955-brooklyn-high-school-rock-concert-with-elvis-who.html

I've virtually given up hope of ever seeing the Pied Piper footage.

Interesting that this article confirms that Elvis was lip-syncing, though...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: Pat Boone recalls 1955 Brooklyn High School rock concert with Elvis.... who?

Postby TonyS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Colin B wrote:
Private Presley wrote:https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/g66l-2019/02/6c984b606a5172/headliner-pat-boone-recalls-1955-brooklyn-high-school-rock-concert-with-elvis-who.html

But no mention of him 'doing' Mystery Train.
From memory I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:06 pm

TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Well, we will never know for sure. Trying to remember someone's set list 60+ years later, especially when it's not your set list, in this case Pat Boone trying to remember Elvis', is probably not going to be accurate, or even anyone else who was there.

The thing is we will never know unless the footage is found. Otherwise we can only rely on people's memories, it's the only evidence we have.

Yes, i've read he did "Mystery Train". In fact i've read that he was filmed doing 5 of his Sun tracks but only one of them was used in the final edit of the movie, and that was apparently "Blue Moon Of Kentucky". Can't remember where I read all this but definitely read it somewhere.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

John

Postby John » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Well, we will never know for sure. Trying to remember someone's set list 60+ years later, especially when it's not your set list, in this case Pat Boone trying to remember Elvis', is probably not going to be accurate, or even anyone else who was there.

The thing is we will never know unless the footage is found. Otherwise we can only rely on people's memories, it's the only evidence we have.

Yes, i've read he did "Mystery Train". In fact i've read that he was filmed doing 5 of his Sun tracks but only one of them was used in the final edit of the movie, and that was apparently "Blue Moon Of Kentucky". Can't remember where I read all this but definitely read it somewhere.

Yes, I did too.

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:43 pm

I contacted Bill Randle's family around 2005, in the hope of digging a little deeper into the famous `movie short`.
His family put me in touch with who I was told was their legal representative and a friend of Bills, who's name I don't recall from memory, but who they said would be better able to help me with my questions.
So I put in the call and What came out of the call seemed interesting, Bill had made a short list of what was claimed to have been filmed, for the short - the list was said to contain the following 3 filming sections.

1. Footage of Bill's day to day Disc Jockey activities - no Elvis.
2. Brooklyn High - footage of the show with Elvis.
3. St Michael's hall - footage of the show with Elvis.

I was also given details of Cheque (check) stubs, detailing payments by Bill to members of the film crew and band members - I did not get details of the Elvis part on this, but I was further informed by the family representative that Bill stated he had handed his copy of the footage to a local TV station and that Bill went back many years later to try and recover the film, but was told it had been cut up for use (just a couple of minutes were claimed to have been shown) and then discarded.

Kevan Budd.
Last edited by kevanbudd on Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm

I Think the footage will eventually turn up,Thank to kevan's post (did you ever mentioned this somewhere before, kevan?)I am convinced...question is....will we be alive to see it?

I am just wondering why he lend the original copy to a tv station and only after years (!!)tried to get it back from the TV station.
But ok, if it happened before elvis got famous..than it fits. Rumours had it that the colonel prevent further showing after elvis got famous.

Also I seem to remember that bill stated in the years before his death that he had a copy of that film (no mention of a lending to a TV station) ...i did read this.
Why should bill have claimed that he still had a copy?

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm

kevanbudd wrote:I contacted Bill Randel's family around 2005, in the hope of digging a little deeper into the famous `movie short`.
His family put me in touch with who I was told was their legal representative and a friend of Bills, who's name I don't recall from memory, but who they said would be better able to help me with my questions.
So I put in the call and What came out of the call seemed interesting, Bill had made a short list of what was claimed to have been filmed, for the short - the list was said to contain the following 3 filming sections.

I was also given details of Cheque (check) stubs, detailing payments by Bill to members of the film crew and band members - I did not get details of the Elvis part on this, but I was further informed by the family representative that Bill stated he had lent his copy of the footage to a local TV station and that Bill went back many years later to try and recover the film, but was told it had been cut up for use and discarded, I believe it was mentioned just a couple of minutes were claimed to have been shown.

Kevan Budd.

Thanks Kevan. Nice info.

What does it mean by "cut up for use and discarded"?
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

John

Postby John » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
kevanbudd wrote:I contacted Bill Randel's family around 2005, in the hope of digging a little deeper into the famous `movie short`.

I was also given details of Cheque (check) stubs, detailing payments by Bill to members of the film crew and band members - I did not get details of the Elvis part on this, but I was further informed by the family representative that Bill stated he had lent his copy of the footage to a local TV station and that Bill went back many years later to try and recover the film, but was told it had been cut up for use and discarded, I believe it was mentioned just a couple of minutes were claimed to have been shown.

Kevan Budd.

Thanks Kevan. Nice info.

They cut the film up to show just a part of it then threw it away.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm

They edited the raw material for their showing and after televising their cut they dumped the material....that is what it means.
Edit:John was faster.damn him.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 pm

John wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:

Kevan Budd.

Thanks Kevan. Nice info.

They cut the film up to show just a part of it then threw it away.

That's what i thought but the scenario doesn't make sense.

The only time Bill lent the footage elsewhere (as the legend goes) was in 1956 when reportedly snippets of it were shown on US TV. So that must be what's being talked about in Kevans post that Bill told his representative. Why would they threw away someone else's film that they paid for that wasn't theirs?

It's also said that Bill did show an edit of it for the pupils at the school were the concert was held in 1956.

Topic author
Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 am

Thanks for the additional info, Kevan!
ImageImage

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Pacer wrote:I Think the footage will eventually turn up,Thank to kevan's post (did you ever mentioned this somewhere before, kevan?)I am convinced...question is....will we be alive to see it?

I am just wondering why he lend the original copy to a tv station and only after years (!!)tried to get it back from the TV station.
But ok, if it happened before elvis got famous..than it fits. Rumours had it that the colonel prevent further showing after elvis got famous.

Also I seem to remember that bill stated in the years before his death that he had a copy of that film (no mention of a lending to a TV station) ...i did read this.
Why should bill have claimed that he still had a copy?

Bill Randle changed his account many times.

As he reckoned he owned the 'rights' to the footage, he often made exaggerated claims about it in order to bump up its value.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Whats the point of pushing up the price if you can't deliver?

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Pacer wrote:Whats the point of pushing up the price if you can't deliver?

Believe it or not, there are people in this world that thrive of the drama of wasting other people's time.
It's all a life game to them.

Return to “Everything Elvis”