Topic author
Mountain Mist

Linda Thompson - "A Little Thing Called Life"

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am

Linda Thompson:

One night, after his second performance, Elvis went
to his dressing room, and I went to mine. Having both changed, we came out
hand in hand to where the stairs went down to the main part of our suite. We
stood there for a beat, and then descended in step with each other.

Immediately, the whispers rose up: “Oh my God, there he is.”

“Oh my God, isn’t he gorgeous?”

“Oh, man, that’s his girlfriend. She’s pretty.”

“No, I think she’s too skinny.”

“No, I think she’s pretty.”

All of these little rumblings were audible as we cruised down the stairs
together. When we were sure all of our guests were looking up at us, we smiled
in unison, revealing that both of us had blacked out our two front teeth with
eyebrow pencil.

As if nothing out of the ordinary was happening, we glided up to the first
group of guests and shook hands all around with the widest grins plastered on our faces.

“So nice to meet you,” we said, natural as could be, trying to keep from
laughing as we watched them do a double take but try to keep their cool in front
of us.

laughing as we watched them do a double take but try to keep their cool in front
of us.

They weren’t sure if, because we were from Tennessee, that’s how we did
it, taking our teeth out when it was time to relax. It was so funny to see people’s
reactions, and so we really played it up, walking around the room and meeting
everyone.

“This is my girlfriend,” Elvis said.

“Hi, I was Miss Tennessee,” I said, smiling, blacked-out teeth on full
display.

Some people laughed, but others were afraid to laugh, which was even
funnier.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Hi Jim, it's Jamie at the police impound, they picked up your car again, lately they've been driving it more than you have."

Scooby

Re: Linda Thompson - "A Little Thing Called Life"

Postby Scooby » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Oh my God! How I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall that day. That is until Elvis told someone to kill that fly on the wall. :lol:

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:03 am

Mountain Mist wrote:Linda Thompson:

One night, after his second performance, Elvis went
to his dressing room, and I went to mine. Having both changed, we came out
hand in hand to where the stairs went down to the main part of our suite. We
stood there for a beat, and then descended in step with each other.

Immediately, the whispers rose up: “Oh my God, there he is.”

“Oh my God, isn’t he gorgeous?”

“Oh, man, that’s his girlfriend. She’s pretty.”

“No, I think she’s too skinny.”

“No, I think she’s pretty.”

All of these little rumblings were audible as we cruised down the stairs
together. When we were sure all of our guests were looking up at us, we smiled
in unison, revealing that both of us had blacked out our two front teeth with
eyebrow pencil.

As if nothing out of the ordinary was happening, we glided up to the first
group of guests and shook hands all around with the widest grins plastered on our faces.

of us.

of us.

They weren’t sure if, because we were from Tennessee, that’s how we did
it, taking our teeth out when it was time to relax. It was so funny to see people’s
reactions, and so we really played it up, walking around the room and meeting
everyone.

“This is my girlfriend,” Elvis said.

“Hi, I was Miss Tennessee,” I said, smiling, blacked-out teeth on full
display.

Some people laughed, but others were afraid to laugh, which was even
funnier.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I recall hearing that teeth black-out story before, but so long ago. Thanks for posting it.

Elvis was such a practical joker. Always trying to do something to keep from getting bored and having some fun.

Topic author
Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:11 am

You are welcome, cadillac-elvis.

It is a funny story.

Bits of darkened paper on the teeth, when everyone sits down for a family dinner, works just as well, lol

(Not that I and my co-conspirators would know ;) ) LOL LOL
"Hi Jim, it's Jamie at the police impound, they picked up your car again, lately they've been driving it more than you have."

Topic author
Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:49 am

LINDA THOMPSON-----part of a 1978 Interview
on Stanley Segal Show

Q: Who else came into the inner circle, that came to Graceland? What kind of people that he would beckon like the King?

A: Elvis was not very much into the show business crowd. He didn’t have many friends in show business; he liked George Hamilton a lot. He came to the funeral. Ann-Margret too. She also came to the funeral. In fact, Elvis and Ann were in love back when they did Viva Las Vegas.

Q: You look very much like her.

A: Thank you, She is a very nice lady and a nice person to look like. He also expressed regret that he had not married her. He thought that if she had given up her career and became his wife they could have been very happy.

Q: Did he actually propose to Ann-Margret?

A: I don’t know if he actually proposed to her. I know they talked about marriage and she was willing to give up her career. She wanted to get married.

John

Postby John » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:[b]

A: I don’t know if he actually proposed to her. I know they talked about marriage and she was willing to give up her career. She wanted to get married.

I'll believe it only when it comes from Ann-Margret's lips.

Topic author
Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:41 pm

John wrote:

I agree.

Topic author
Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:59 am

LINDA THOMPSON INTERVIEW---part of a 1978 interview on the Stanley Segal Show

Q: Were they good guys, these guys around him? You get the impression they are like goons protecting him, beating people up, etc?
A: That’s one of the reasons why he got rid of Sonny and Red West.
Q: They beat up people?
A: Yes. They hit people and Elvis had about six lawsuits against them in three years.
Q: Did Elvis encourage it?
A: No, that’s why he fired them. Of course he didn’t encourage it. He said he really couldn’t tolerate this; the fans are not trying to hurt me, they just want to get to me. He said, you don’t strike out at them and try to hit them, you talk to them.
Q: His secretary has written a book. A lot of people say she was not Elvis’ secretary.
A: No, she was Vernon Presley’s secretary. Mr. Presley handled all Elvis’ business affairs and he had secretaries.
Q: So she is misrepresenting herself.
A: Yes, in a way I think so. Mr. Presley thinks so. She worked for him for about 12 years. She knew a lot about the business end and not about the personal end of Elvis’ life.
Q: You have not capitalized on Elvis’ death?
A: No, I wouldn’t. I have no intention of ever doing it. I certainly didn’t when he was alive and I won’t do it now. The only thing is I want people to know what a remarkable man he was, and it’s not fair to say all these harsh things about him after his passing. It doesn’t matter what he did in his personal life, what he contributed to this world is far greater than anyone else in the music industry. I think he was the entertainer of all entertainers. He really was the King. Apart from being a fine, fine man he really was a wonderful human being, a very kind heart and a tender soul. A good man.
Q: Linda, you don’t think you are covering up?
A: No, I know I am not. I loved him very much but we had lots of arguments and there times when I hated him.
Q: You just don’t want to be known as Elvis Presley’s girlfriend, right?
A: That is one reason why I broke up with him in December. I did feel like an appendage of someone else. That was not his fault and it was not mine. People don’t even realise your existence.
Q: Do you think he knew you loved him?
A: Oh sure.
Q: How do you know?
A: I know. I always proved it to him. I was with Elvis more than any other woman ever was. I went on all the tours with him and was with him day and night. I never left him, I catered to his needs. I wanted to do that and I don’t regret having done that. I don’t think I would ever want to do it again for anybody else but I was willing to do it for him. He really needed someone to cater to him.
Q: Than you, Linda.
A: Thank you.

(Taking Care of Elvis April/May 1978 issue)

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:02 pm

John wrote:

I believe, from what I can gather, the reason the relationship didn't work out in the end is because Ann wouldn't give up her career just to be with someone.

That said, they were most certainly well into each other, in love.

But Ann is a very out right person and wouldn't allow anyone to dominate her, certainly not the way Elvis did with Priscilla. So in that sense, the relationship would never have worked out. Elvis knew that he wouldn't be able to do to Ann what he did to Priscilla who was a much weaker person than Ann.

With these reasons i doubt marriage was even discussed. It may have crossed his or her minds, but as for proposing, I doubt it.

Topic author
Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:
John wrote:

I believe, from what I can gather, the reason the relationship didn't work out in the end is because Ann wouldn't give up her career just to be with someone.

That said, they were most certainly well into each other, in love.

But Ann is a very out right person and wouldn't allow anyone to dominate her, certainly not the way Elvis did with Priscilla. So in that sense, the relationship would never have worked out. Elvis knew that he wouldn't be able to do to Ann what he did to Priscilla who was a much weaker person than Ann.

With these reasons i doubt marriage was even discussed. It may have crossed his or her minds, but as for proposing, I doubt it.

The chemistry between Ann and Elvis was apparently still palatable in later years, and those around them felt every bit of it.

Perhaps it was a very sad situation with timing and opportunity as my observation (which means nothing) is that Ann still loves Elvis to this day.

Scooby

Postby Scooby » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:58 pm

John wrote:

Ann Margaret did once say in a interview for a radio tribute show that Elvis did propose to her but she told him "look me in my eyes and tell me that you don't love that girl Priscilla" but he couldn't so she told him goodbye and that was the end of their romance.

John

Postby John » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Scooby wrote:
John wrote:

Ann Margaret did once say in a interview for a radio tribute show that Elvis did propose to her but she told him "look me in my eyes and tell me that you don't love that girl Priscilla" but he couldn't so she told him goodbye and that was the end of their romance.

Interesting, never heard that one before, and I'm somewhat surprised she'd say it.

TonyS

Postby TonyS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:41 pm

John wrote:
Scooby wrote:
John wrote:

Interesting, never heard that one before, and I'm somewhat surprised she'd say it.

I'm not convinced she did say it, I'd like a source for that interview..
www.memphismansion.com
What a great place to visit, it really is.

Scooby

Postby Scooby » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:16 am

TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
Scooby wrote:
John wrote:

It was part of a birthday tribute show that aired across America in the early to mid 90s. I believe it was called The Elvis Story or something like that.

John

Postby John » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 am

Scooby wrote:
TonyS wrote:
John wrote:
Scooby wrote:
John wrote:

It was part of a birthday tribute show that aired across America in the early to mid 90s. I believe it was called The Elvis Story or something like that.

It would be nice to hear it. Hopefully someday we'll stumble across it.

Return to “Everything Elvis”