On tour box set

All the Elvis you can take

John

Re: On tour box set

Postby John » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:42 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:More likely that its a legacy edition

How right you were. The physical box arrived today. I don't see much excitement about it considering everyone has been waiting 50 years for it.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:38 pm

John wrote:How right you were. The physical box arrived today. I don't see much excitement about it considering everyone has been waiting 50 years for it.

Got mine today too.

Had a quick look at the BluRay disc & it looks fine !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:12 am

Colin B wrote:
John wrote:How right you were. The physical box arrived today. I don't see much excitement about it considering everyone has been waiting 50 years for it.

Got mine today too.

Had a quick look at the BluRay disc & it looks fine !

I'm not going to bother with the blu-ray. I've got Elvis On Tour from way back with the JBG intro, and that's good enough for me. It's not like I watch it much anyway.

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:18 pm

On the first UK Midweek Album Charts the 'On Tour' Boxset has entered at 43 and Elvis' 30 No.1 Hits rises to No.20.

Brian

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:27 am

Unfortunately, after waiting a lifetime for this, at the price it is I can't afford this right now. But I hope the buzz is enough to prompt MGM to do something with the filmed concert footage. An official blu=ray of an entire concert would be preferred rather than a "lost Performances" style compilation. Let people see the master as work in his prime.
I watched EOT regularly, with the JBG intro. It's shown not infrequently on Sky Arts over here, in its JBG original widescreen format too, which is always nice to see. Lets hope the EOT buzz gets going!
"Man, I just work here..."

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:21 am

5DF00AAE-165D-4B77-8934-A6F75F3B15BF.jpeg

So there was no drummer in these concerts!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageImage

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:30 am

Private Presley wrote:5DF00AAE-165D-4B77-8934-A6F75F3B15BF.jpeg

Like in the good ol' days.

It was a "back to roots" experiment.

John

Postby John » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:42 am

Private Presley wrote:5DF00AAE-165D-4B77-8934-A6F75F3B15BF.jpeg

I wonder who was in charge of this release? Hmmmm.......

prostx23

Postby prostx23 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:21 am

Got my set about a week or so ago, I finally had a chance to sit down with headphones and listen to everything. In terms of sound quality, I'm happy with how everything sounds. I'm not an audiophile, and perhaps I'm easy to please, but I have no major quibbles about the sound. If I had any complaints, I'd have liked the drums to be more prominent in the mix. Maybe it was how it was recorded, but sometimes the drums seems way too low in the concert mixes. Speaking of the drums and the drummer.... Packaging and appearance... This is an atractively packaged set. I like the way it looks. very nice... but... I hate the way the discs are stored, however, that's been going on for years, and no amount of complaining about it from fans are likely to change it. The booklet is nice as well. Nice pictures and essay. The credits ommision for Ronnie Tutt, as well as the misspelling of Emory Gordys name is unfortunate. Ronnie does get a namecheck elsewhere in the book, so it seems this was just a sad oversight. I've seen some say (the "other place" and the Steve Hoffman forum) due to these issues they refuse to buy this set. I think that is unfortunate as this is it. Sony isn't going to do a "redo" of On Tour. Some folks who don't pick it up may regret this down the road. I've been hoping for exactly this kind of release since Ernst first discussed it back in 1998 or so. Now it's here, and I'm a very happy guy. The set is not perfect, even without the errors, it never could be to all people. Someone would have something to take issue with. Me, Im going to enjoy it, and be glad that I lived to see this released officially.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:27 am

prostx23 wrote:...This is an atractively packaged set. I like the way it looks. very nice... but... I hate the way the discs are stored, however, that's been going on for years, and no amount of complaining about it from fans are likely to change it.. .

Yes, the way they've done it requires the disc to be gripped & pulled out & touching the playing surface is unavoidable.

They can get round this & they have done on previous releases.

Here's an example from the American Sound 1969 set from 2019:

American Sound 1969 - Packaging - 001.jpg

Having the disc only half covered means it can be withdrawn by inserting a finger in the centre hole, thus avoiding touching the playing surface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

prostx23

Postby prostx23 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:33 am

Colin B wrote:
prostx23 wrote:...This is an atractively packaged set. I like the way it looks. very nice... but... I hate the way the discs are stored, however, that's been going on for years, and no amount of complaining about it from fans are likely to change it.. .

Yes, the way they've done it requires the disc to be gripped & pulled out & touching the playing surface is unavoidable.

They can get round this & they have done on previous releases.

Here's an example from the American Sound 1969 set from 2019:

American Sound 1969 - Packaging - 001.jpg

Having the disc only half covered means it can be withdrawn by inserting a finger in the centre hole, thus avoiding touching the playing surface.

I have that set, and a few more of the Complete Sessions sets, and unless I'm forgetting, I believe they all have the same type of disc holders. I'd sure like an explanation as to why they don't have the same system for the mainstream releases. it's not perfect either, but condsiderably better.

John

Postby John » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:51 pm

Topic author
Jesswade

Postby Jesswade » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:18 am

Finally got around unboxing the set and have a first listen. (Hampton Roads). Love the liner notes from Warren Zanes. Overall the set looks great. For me anyway. Never heard or owned a recording of HR show. So it was first time I heard it, sounds great to me and he was good in April '72. Reading that these 4 shows were filmed, well damn.

Topic author
Jesswade

Postby Jesswade » Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:02 pm

Listened to 2nd disc(Richmond) another first timer for me. Great show, opening pair see see rider and proud Mary hit you in the face. It's over and for the good times exquisitely sung. Southern audience goes crazy over trilogy which is brilliantly played and sung. This show is a gem and is better than HR. For me anyway.

JimmyCool

Re: On Tour box set

Postby JimmyCool » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:14 am

You really take your time.... :D

Return to “Everything Elvis”