Is the bluray better than DVD for the TV specials?

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Is the bluray better than DVD for the TV specials?

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:59 am

I have been outspoken on the benefits and obvious video upgrades concerning Elvis' movies from DVD to Bluray.

But I have read that because the TV specials were captured using video tape an upgrade for those on bluray is
a pipe dream.

Can anyone verify for sure if this is true or not?

Does anyone notice a difference between the DVD and bluray for the 68 special and the Aloha special?

epa747

Re: Is the bluray better than DVD for the TV specials?

Postby epa747 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:I have been outspoken on the benefits and obvious video upgrades concerning Elvis' movies from DVD to Bluray.

But I have read that because the TV specials were captured using video tape an upgrade for those on bluray is
a pipe dream.

Does anyone notice a difference between the DVD and bluray for the 68 special and the Aloha special?

I only went for the 68 Comeback boxset blu-ray . The 50th anniversary set. I saw no difference, I was sorry I got rid of the DVD set. Took up a lot less room and was easier to find the discs I wanted. Did not go for Aloha as I was not a big fan of that show

LJM

Postby LJM » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 pm

epa747 wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I have been outspoken on the benefits and obvious video upgrades concerning Elvis' movies from DVD to Bluray.

a pipe dream.

I only went for the 68 Comeback boxset blu-ray . The 50th anniversary set. I saw no difference, I was sorry I got rid of the DVD set. Took up a lot less room and was easier to find the discs I wanted. Did not go for Aloha as I was not a big fan of that show

Sorry to disagree but the bluray is definitely better quality than the dvds for the 68 Special and Aloha. The only issue with the 68 set is a bluish halo around Elvis in some segments but overall definition is significantly improved over the dvd. I cannot go back to the dvds after watching the blurays. That being said the improvement isn't as strong as it is with the movie blurays and that's probably partly due to the limitations of videotape.

TheKingForever

Postby TheKingForever » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 pm

The bluray of the tv shows is slighty better compared to the dvds but many wont even notice the improvment.
I lended the blurays and to me its just not worth it to upgrade.
As mentioned by others also my favorite Aloha version is the Ultimate Experience splitscreen version,it just look much better
compared to the old 4:3 format.(unless anyone watch on a 25 year old crt 4:3 tv)

epa747

Postby epa747 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 pm

LJM wrote:
epa747 wrote:

a pipe dream.

Sorry to disagree but the bluray is definitely better quality than the dvds for the 68 Special and Aloha. The only issue with the 68 set is a bluish halo around Elvisin some segments but overall definition is significantly improved over the dvd. I cannot go back to the dvds after watching the blurays. That being said the improvement isn't as strong as it is with the movie blurays and that's probably partly due to the limitations of videotape.

Yes and that's enough of a turn-off to me. Picture isn't as natural. I just don't see the overall improvement as you do and certainly not worth the cost of springing for that big box. Maybe the TV makes a difference. I'm using a 65 inch Sony, 2021 model. I like the movies upgraded in blu-ray, some more than others, I think the best one is Viva Las Vegas. For fans of Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry is amazing!

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:05 pm

epa747 wrote:
LJM wrote:
epa747 wrote:

a pipe dream.

Sorry to disagree but the bluray is definitely better quality than the dvds for the 68 Special and Aloha. The only issue with the 68 set is a bluish halo around Elvisin some segments but overall definition is significantly improved over the dvd. I cannot go back to the dvds after watching the blurays. That being said the improvement isn't as strong as it is with the movie blurays and that's probably partly due to the limitations of videotape.

Yes and that's enough of a turn-off to me. Picture isn't as natural. I just don't see the overall improvement as you do and certainly not worth the cost of springing for that big box. Maybe the TV makes a difference. I'm using a 65 inch Sony, 2021 model. I like the movies upgraded in blu-ray, some more than others, I think the best one is Viva Las Vegas. For fans of Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry is amazing!

Yes, that other variable perhaps is the TV the person is using. I have a nice Sony Bravia 4K TV with upscaling technology.

but, I am thinking the dollars spent is not worth the tiny extra quality I might get.

but all the movies I have bought are clearly worth the money in the great improvement bluray has over DVD.

Thanks all for your input.

TheKingForever

Postby TheKingForever » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:43 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
epa747 wrote:
LJM wrote:
epa747 wrote:

a pipe dream.

Yes, that other variable perhaps is the TV the person is using. I have a nice Sony Bravia 4K TV with upscaling technology.

but, I am thinking the dollars spent is not worth the tiny extra quality I might get.

but all the movies I have bought are clearly worth the money in the great improvement bluray has over DVD.

Thanks all for your input.

Yes the movies is a completely different story.
Every fan that loves Elvis movies should invest in a good bluray player and buy movies on the bluray format.
I dont own any DVD titles anymore as the quality simply isnt good enough.

Return to “Everything Elvis”