Elvis tapes in private hands

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Luuk

Elvis tapes in private hands

Postby Luuk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:21 pm

In the past 38 years several (private) recordings surfaced because these were found when searching through the drawers at Graceland and others were in private hands of sound-engineer or former friends.
Is it known if there are still tapes in private hands?

Graeme
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: Elvis tapes in private hands

Postby Graeme » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Yes.
There's the Sun era stuff, including the Southern Maid Doughnuts commercial from the first Hayride Broadcast.

I'll let others pitch in and add to the list.

Graeme
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Graeme » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Did you mean recordings as in audio only and further more if so did you mean of just songs?

Topic author
Luuk

Postby Luuk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Live recordings recorded for or from radio, home recordings, studio tapes, what ever there could be.
Some rehearsal tapes were handed over to RCA by former friends or sound engeneers. The Million Dollar Quartet recordings were found in the vast amount of tapes Shelby Singleton got when he acquired Sun Records and later another copy (?) in Elvis' home.
I can imagine former friends took tapes or acetates with or without Elvis' knowledge.

Graeme
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Graeme » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:04 pm

I understand, watch out in the coming months for a possible surprise in the form of footage.

Jim Brown died in June this year aged 81 I believe. Jim and Maxine toured with Elvis in 1955 and were good friends.
8mm footage is in the hands of a private collector showing Elvis in Jims swimming pool in 1955. Ernst was given a single frame to use as a photo in The Boy From Tupelo.
I'm guessing up in Jims attic there might be a little bit more.

Return to “Everything Elvis”