Elvis And Kathy Gabriel from 1957.

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Elvis And Kathy Gabriel from 1957.

Postby cadillac-elvis » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 am

I just put 2 and 2 together.

Kathy Gabriel was Miss Ohio 1957 and won the Miss USA pageant.

Elvis was so lucky.....she is just gorgeous.

I had seen the picture of her and Elvis for years, and I had also seen the video
clip of her on TV with Groucho Marx.
But, I didn't know they were the same person til now.

Apparently they went on several dates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2aARtH-a8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mountain Mist

Re: Elvis And Kathy Gabriel from 1957.

Postby Mountain Mist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 am

Goodness, Kathy is very pretty.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:40 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:I just put 2 and 2 together.

I had seen the picture of her and Elvis for years, and I had also seen the video

The photo was taken December 27, 1957 in Graceland.

Contrarily to what's usually thought, Kathy Gabriel never won the "Miss USA" pageant. She did indeed win the 1957 "Miss Ohio" title.

Elvis and Kathy had previously met at least once. That was backstage at the Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, prior to the show he gave on Friday, November 23, 1956.

Here's Elvis with Marlyne Miller (left) and Kathy. Image taken by local photographer Lew Allen :

561123 b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Mountain Mist wrote:Goodness, Kathy is very pretty.

Breathtakingly so on the Groucho Marx video (which I have seen before).

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Here's again the photo seen in the opening post, but in corrected black and white and better resolution :

571227 - Kathy Gabriel Graceland -.jpeg

Hard Rocker

Postby Hard Rocker » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 am

But where have we seen the lady at 2:17 before?!!!

She was the president of an Elvis fan-club if I recall. Is she in This Is Elvis or something like that? I recognised her right away.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:11 am

STEVE MORSE wrote:
Mountain Mist wrote:Goodness, Kathy is very pretty.

Breathtakingly so on the Groucho Marx video (which I have seen before).

I think that she is one of the most beautiful women Elvis had dated, as her goodness shines through, too, she was also a happy soul, and natural.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:59 am

Mister Moon wrote:

Contrarily to what's usually thought, Kathy Gabriel never won the "Miss USA" pageant. She did indeed win the 1957 "Miss Ohio" title.

Elvis and Kathy had previously met at least once. That was backstage at the Arena in Cleveland, Ohio, prior to the show he gave on Friday, November 23, 1956.

Here's Elvis with Marlyne Miller (left) and Kathy. Image taken by local photographer Lew Allen :

561123 b.jpg

Mr. Moon, I don't doubt you, but in the video she says she was in the Miss Universe contest.
The way it usually works is ...the winner of Miss USA represents the USA in the Miss Universe contest.
The only thing I can think of is , is that if the winner couldn't fulfill her obligation, then the 1st runner up
gets to go. Was she first runner up? Something doesn't make sense.

Ed A

Postby Ed A » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 pm

From Wikipedia: 1957 Miss USA contest.

At the end of the pageant, Mary Leona Gage of Maryland was declared the winner and was crowned by the outgoing titleholder, Miss Universe 1956 Carol Morris, of Iowa. The following day, rumors about Gage's past and current circumstances began to circulate, and an investigation was launched by pageant organisers.
It was discovered that Gage had lied about her age (she was 18, not 21 as she had claimed), and her mother-in-law confirmed she was also twice-married and the mother of two young children, both of which were violations of multiple eligibility rules, meaning Gage was immediately disqualified.[1][2]
The title and the associated prize package automatically passed to the 1st runner-up, Charlotte Sheffield of Utah. The other three finalists were moved one place, and the highest-scoring semi-finalist, Kathryn Gabriel of Ohio, become the 4th runner-up. Unfortunately, by the time the scandal broke publicly, the Miss Universe preliminary judging had already taken place, with Gage chosen as a semi-finalist, and allowed to participate pending the results of the investigation. It was too late for Sheffield to compete, and it would be the only time the United States has not been represented at the Miss Universe pageant.[1]
Later that year, Sheffield was sent to London as the USA contestant for Miss World 1957, but she failed to place.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:06 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

561123 b.jpg

Mr. Moon, I don't doubt you, but in the video she says she was in the Miss Universe contest.
The way it usually works is ...the winner of Miss USA represents the USA in the Miss Universe contest.
The only thing I can think of is , is that if the winner couldn't fulfill her obligation, then the 1st runner up

She says she was in the Miss Universe contest, but she is twisting the truth a little bit.

Here's how it goes.

Sometime in 1957, Kathy Gabriel (under the name "Kathryn Gabriel") won the "Miss Ohio USA" contest. The winner of this contest went to the "Miss USA" contest as did the winners from the other states' contests. The winner of the "Miss USA" contest then went to the "Miss Universe" contest.

A brief clarification here - the "Miss Ohio USA" contest was different to the "Miss Ohio" one - the latter led to the "Miss America" contest. The former, as noted, to the "Miss USA" contest.

On Wednesday, July 17, 1957 the "Miss USA" contest was held in Long Beach, California. As noted by Ed A in the above post, Gabriel was 4th runner-up.

Two days later, July 19, and at the same location, the "Miss Universe" contest was held, but the USA were not represented because of the above mentioned problems.

Gabriel was probably there, but as part of the audience, not as a contestant.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:33 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

561123 b.jpg

She says she was in the Miss Universe contest, but she is twisting the truth a little bit.

Here's how it goes.

Sometime in 1957, Kathy Gabriel (under the name "Kathryn Gabriel") won the "Miss Ohio USA" contest. The winner of this contest went to the "Miss USA" contest as did the winners from the other states' contests. The winner of the "Miss USA" contest then went to the "Miss Universe" contest.

A brief clarification here - the "Miss Ohio USA" contest was different to the "Miss Ohio" one - the latter led to the "Miss America" contest. The former, as noted, to the "Miss USA" contest.

On Wednesday, July 17, 1957 the "Miss USA" contest was held in Long Beach, California. As noted by Ed A in the above post, Gabriel was 4th runner-up.

Two days later, July 19, and at the same location, the "Miss Universe" contest was held, but the USA were not represented because of the above mentioned problems.

Mr Moon. thanks for your details on this. I have yet another theory because
I don't want to believe that Kathy was liar.
Perhaps at the opening of the show, they had all the 50, miss USA state winners parade on the stage during a production number of some sort,and
then she wouldn't be lying. Because she said, "this is the bathing suit I wore at the Miss Universe pageant".
I don't think she'd be wearing a bathing suit in the audience.
And yet she could still be a part of the show without being a contestant being a in production type number.
I think that makes the most sense.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

561123 b.jpg

Here's how it goes.

Mr Moon. thanks for your details on this. I have yet another theory because
I don't want to believe that Kathy was liar.
Perhaps at the opening of the show, they had all the 50, miss USA state winners parade on the stage during a production number of some sort,and
then she wouldn't be lying. Because she said, "this is the bathing suit I wore at the Miss Universe pageant".
I don't think she'd be wearing a bathing suit in the audience.
And yet she could still be a part of the show without being a contestant being a in production type number.
I think that makes the most sense.

This could be a good explanation.

I wasn't suggesting she was a liar, but given that both contests were held at the same location within 48 hours, I was thinking that it all might have been organised and promoted as one big event, rather than two.

Of course, it was two separate contests, so maybe she wore the bathing suit at the "Miss USA" contest, and then she said that to make it look more fancy, but not being completely untrue.

But I can imagine a scenario like the one you described too.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:56 pm

It turns out the July 1957 events in Long Beach lasted over one week.

Here's a very detailed account :

http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/9699/mc57.htm

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:44 am

1956 Nov 23 Cleveland_ Marlyne Miller_ Kathy Gabriel01.jpg

1956 Nov 23 Cleveland_ Marlyne Miller_ Kathy Gabriel03.jpg
ImageImage

Bobrasil121

Postby Bobrasil121 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:51 pm

B
Mister Moon wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Just to clarify things guys. I know because Kathy was my sister. True, Kathy was miss Ohio and did not win the miss USA pageant, however, several of the judges told her afterwards she had the contest won but when asked by the moderator who the most important person in her life was, she answered her modeling agent instead of her mother. This knocked her down to fifth place. She was moved up to fourth after the disqualification of Leona Gage.
She was in the miss universe pageant because all miss USA contestants were in it, I guess they did this because there just weren't enough foreign contestants. She didn't lie.
She went to work at the Tropicana in Las Vegas where she became friends with Elvis. Those pictures were taken during her and her roommates trip to Graceland where they helped the Presley family celebrate their first Christmas at Graceland.
Kathy often said Elvis and the Presley family were the most polite, friendliest people she ever met. She and Elvis would get on his motorcycle and ride over to west Memphis, where no one would bother them, and play pinball just like two teenagers. She had lots of Elvis stories.

561123 b.jpg

Here's how it goes.

Return to “Everything Elvis”