The Most likely Unreleased Sun tune to be issued is.....

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Re: The Most likely Unreleased Sun tune to be issued is.....

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 pm

And it's possible that RCA purposely got the rights to both sides at different times.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 am

C'mon folks.

They made me purchase that crappy "Great Performances" album in 1990 just for one track. Later, we discovered a couple more of unreleased tracks inside it, which weren't even specified on the sleeve. But we would have purchased a box-set just for "My Happiness", that's the truth.

Anybody thinks they were going to give us the flipside in the same package ?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:46 am

Mister Moon wrote:C'mon folks.

They made me purchase that crappy "Great Performances" album in 1990 just for one track.
Later, we discovered a couple more of unreleased tracks inside it, which weren't even specified on the sleeve. But we would have purchased a box-set just for "My Happiness", that's the truth.

Which other two were unreleased ?
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:00 am

Colin B wrote:

They made me purchase that crappy "Great Performances" album in 1990 just for one track.
Later, we discovered a couple more of unreleased tracks inside it, which weren't even specified on the sleeve. But we would have purchased a box-set just for "My Happiness", that's the truth.

Which other two were unreleased ?

The binaural movie version of "Treat Me Nice", and the undubbed single version of "Unchained Melody" were unreleased for sure. And I believe "American Trilogy" was also unreleased, and "Memories" was a different edit / mix.

reg

Postby reg » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am

They made me purchase that crappy "Great Performances" album in 1990 just for one track. Later, we discovered a couple more of unreleased tracks inside it, which weren't even specified on the sleeve. But we would have purchased a box-set just for "My Happiness", that's the truth.

How did they make you purchase that cd did they use a gun? :D

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am

reg wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:...They made me purchase that crappy "Great Performances" album in 1990 just for one track...

Some fans are 'completists' & are 'forced' to buy a whole album if there is an unreleased track on it...

... you could say they had a gun to their heads...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

reg

Postby reg » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:37 am

Colin B wrote:
reg wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:...They made me purchase that crappy "Great Performances" album in 1990 just for one track...

Some fans are 'completists' & are 'forced' to buy a whole album if there is an unreleased track on it...

... you could say they had a gun to their heads...

Only the mental ones, :D

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:23 pm

reg wrote:

No one ever put a gun to my head but "i had to buy it" as I was so keen to hear and have "My Happiness" in my collection. If the song had of been on a 70 CD box set amongst previously released material I would still have bought it. That's the whole point.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:45 pm

According to 29 june 1971 internal RCA memo there was no "Tennessee Saturday night". At the moment they were talking about official releases and even Tomorrow night is mentioned with a questionmark???.
It looks RCA don't know what's in the vaults.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:20 pm

I think RCA in the 70's was so clueless about anything Elvis.
Here they dont' even know "tomorrow night" came out on Elvis for everyone.
Note Harbor lights isn't mentioned either, so they were clueless on what they had.

John

Postby John » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 am

colonel snow wrote:According to 29 june 1971 internal RCA memo there was no "Tennessee Saturday night". At the moment they were talking about official releases and even Tomorrow night is mentioned with a questionmark???.
It looks RCA don't know what's in the vaults.

colonel snow

Interesting to see that they didn't really know what they had with regard to the comment about Tomorrow Night.

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:29 am

No 'I Love You Because' either, and it was released on his very first LP.
Then the outake followed not long after this list (two or three years) on A Legendary Performer.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks colonel for sharing this document.

What a damn mess.

**"Tomorrow Night" - Such a glaring omission taking into account that they had not only released it a few years earlier, but also overdubbed it at a session featuring some of the top musicians ever to set foot in a recording studio.

**"I Love You Because" - Of course originally released in 1956 on Elvis' debut album, there seems to always have been some confusion among Victor folks surrounding this track. I remember a letter Steve Sholes sent a UK fan in the early 60s where this song was omitted too when he talked about the tracks they had received from Phillips.

**"Harbor Lights" - It survived the 1959 clean-up because Sholes took that tape box and saved it. It was found in the mid seventies inside a drawer of his office, and of course released in 1976 for the first time.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we are going to hear much more than what's included in the three "A Boy From Tupelo" CDs. There may be the odd discovery, like the live "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" from 2012 (which was pretty much a once in a lifetime lucky strike), but studio-wise, I think... that's the end.

On the other hand, considering all the sloppiness that has accompanied Elvis' Sun tapes since the very moment they were recorded (Phillips erasing entire sessions or misplacing tapes, RCA throwing away tapes despite Sholes having carefully catalogued them, RCA misplacing more tapes, etc.), it's a miracle that we have more than two hours worth of studio material. After all, he saw only five singles released on the label.

The very discovery /survival of the two private acetates is a miracle in itself. We can only hope that the third acetate, the one containing "Casual Love Affair", is discovered (and released) someday.

Amen.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Mister Moon wrote:...The very discovery /survival of the two private acetates is a miracle in itself.
We can only hope that the third acetate, the one containing "Casual Love Affair", is discovered (and released) someday.
Amen.

Before any acetates surfaced, Marion Keisker thought the second one was I'll Never Stand in Your Way/Casual Love Affair.

We all believed that for years !

When it finally surfaced in 1993, the coupling turned out to be I'll Never Stand in Your Way/[It Wouldn't Be the Same] Without You !

Was Marion misremembering the title, or was she confusing the 2nd & 3rd acetates ?

If there was a 3rd one, that means there's another song, apart from Casual Love Affair that remains unreleased !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:40 pm

Colin B wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:...The very discovery /survival of the two private acetates is a miracle in itself.
We can only hope that the third acetate, the one containing "Casual Love Affair", is discovered (and released) someday.
Amen.

Before any acetates surfaced, Marion Keisker thought the second one was I'll Never Stand in Your Way/Casual Love Affair.

We all believed that for years !

When it finally surfaced in 1993, the coupling turned out to be I'll Never Stand in Your Way/[It Wouldn't Be the Same] Without You !

Was Marion misremembering the title, or was she confusing the 2nd & 3rd acetates ?

If there was a 3rd one, that means there's another song, apart from Casual Love Affair that remains unreleased !

"Casual Love Affair" is already mentioned in 1956 articles, just a couple of years after the fact.

My belief is there were three private acetates - the one that surfaced in 1993 would be the second or the third. The other one would contain "Casual Love Affair" and possibly the first / second version of "I'll Never Stand In Your Way".

Return to “Everything Elvis”