The Most likely Unreleased Sun tune to be issued is.....

All the Elvis you can take

Colin B

Re: The Most likely Unreleased Sun tune to be issued is.....

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:56 pm

Mister Moon wrote:...The very discovery /survival of the two private acetates is a miracle in itself.
We can only hope that the third acetate, the one containing "Casual Love Affair", is discovered (and released) someday.
Amen.
Colin B wrote:Before any acetates surfaced, Marion Keisker thought the second one was I'll Never Stand in Your Way/Casual Love Affair.
We all believed that for years !
When it finally surfaced in 1993, the coupling turned out to be I'll Never Stand in Your Way/[It Wouldn't Be the Same] Without You !
Was Marion misremembering the title, or was she confusing the 2nd & 3rd acetates ?
If there was a 3rd one, that means there's another song, apart from Casual Love Affair that remains unreleased !
Mister Moon wrote:"Casual Love Affair" is already mentioned in 1956 articles, just a couple of years after the fact.

My belief is there were three private acetates - the one that surfaced in 1993 would be the second or the third.
The other one would contain "Casual Love Affair" and possibly the first / second version of "I'll Never Stand In Your Way".

Yes it was & Marion was the source !

Can't think why he would cut the same song on two different acetates !

The 'missing' song could be 'Tiger Man', 'Rag Mop' or 'Tennessee Saturday Night' !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Colin B wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:...The very discovery /survival of the two private acetates is a miracle in itself.
We can only hope that the third acetate, the one containing "Casual Love Affair", is discovered (and released) someday.
Amen.
Colin B wrote:Before any acetates surfaced, Marion Keisker thought the second one was I'll Never Stand in Your Way/Casual Love Affair.
When it finally surfaced in 1993, the coupling turned out to be I'll Never Stand in Your Way/[It Wouldn't Be the Same] Without You !
Was Marion misremembering the title, or was she confusing the 2nd & 3rd acetates ?
If there was a 3rd one, that means there's another song, apart from Casual Love Affair that remains unreleased !
Mister Moon wrote:"Casual Love Affair" is already mentioned in 1956 articles, just a couple of years after the fact.

My belief is there were three private acetates - the one that surfaced in 1993 would be the second or the third.
The other one would contain "Casual Love Affair" and possibly the first / second version of "I'll Never Stand In Your Way".

The 'missing' song could be 'Tiger Man', 'Rag Mop' or 'Tennessee Saturday Night' !

We need to search the Graceland mansion from top to bottom starting in the attic. Fingers crossed. Elvis may have kept the third acetate. Lol
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:04 pm

Colin B wrote:
Amen.

Are we sure Marion was the source ?

Here's a clipping from 1956 I have had for some time, and never posted. I hadn't read it in a while.

According to this clipping, the Presley family still retained the second acetate in 1956, while living at the Audubon house. That disc did contain "I'll Never Stand In Your Way" and "Casual Love Affair".

This is part of a series of five articles published in October 1956 by "The Vancouver Sun" as written by journalist Evelyn Caldwell under the pseudonym of "Penny Wise".

She traveled to Memphis and met Elvis and his entourage and family, including Gladys. The newspaper published five articles by her on October 3,4, 5 and 6, with the final one being published on October 9, and being the one containing this info.

561009 - 02 - 02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:16 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Are we sure Marion was the source ?
Here's a clipping from 1956 I have had for some time, and never posted. I hadn't read it in a while.
According to this clipping, the Presley family still retained the second acetate in 1956, while living at the Audubon house.
That disc did contain "I'll Never Stand In Your Way" and "Casual Love Affair".
This is part of a series of five articles published in October 1956 by "The Vancouver Sun" as written by journalist Evelyn Caldwell under the pseudonym of "Penny Wise".
She traveled to Memphis and met Elvis and his entourage and family, including Gladys.
The newspaper published five articles by her on October 3,4, 5 and 6, with the final one being published on October 9, and being the one containing this info.

Here's what I think.

Gladys might well have told the journalist that she had 'the 2nd acetate' at home.

The journalist knew the titles attributed to that disc because Marion had already made them public !

She then quoted the song titles in her piece.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Colin B wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Are we sure Marion was the source ?
According to this clipping, the Presley family still retained the second acetate in 1956, while living at the Audubon house.
That disc did contain "I'll Never Stand In Your Way" and "Casual Love Affair".
She traveled to Memphis and met Elvis and his entourage and family, including Gladys.
The newspaper published five articles by her on October 3,4, 5 and 6, with the final one being published on October 9, and being the one containing this info.

Here's what I think.

Gladys might well have told the journalist that she had 'the 2nd acetate' at home.

The journalist knew the titles attributed to that disc because Marion had already made them public !

She then quoted the song titles in her piece.

Where did Marion made them public ?

I think "Memphis Press-Scimitar" journalist Robert Johnson was the first one to mention those two titles.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:25 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Where did Marion made them public ?

I think "Memphis Press-Scimitar" journalist Robert Johnson was the first one to mention those two titles.

But he must have gotten them from Marion !

If the info about the two sides of the 2nd acetate came from someone who actually had it, they wouldn't be wrong, would they ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:28 pm

Another possibility is that they did in fact acetate his version of "without you".

Since he sang "cold cold icey fingers" in school, he may have attempted that one as well at Sun.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Colin B wrote:

But he must have gotten them from Marion !

If the info about the two sides of the 2nd acetate came from someone who actually had it, they wouldn't be wrong, would they ?

Johnson was friends with Phillips and Elvis. He didn't need Marion, he could have actually listened to the acetate, as the above clipping implies.

Was Marion interviewed in 1956 ?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Well, whoever it was - they got one of them wrong !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Johnson was friends with Phillips and Elvis. He didn't need Marion, he could have actually listened to the acetate, as the above clipping implies.

Was Marion interviewed in 1956 ?

It would have to have been through Elvis, because neither Sam nor Marion would have had a copy !

If he actually listened to it, we'd have the correct titles.

Not sure when she was first interviewed, but it was pretty early on.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:05 pm

My point is, the acetate the Presleys kept at home in 1956 and the one they discovered in the 90s must be different artifacts.

Why couldn't Elvis have recorded "I'll Never Stand In Your Way" twice ?

If the world was a fair place, we would have the answer to these mysteries, and the "A Boy From Tupelo" FTD set would have contained six CDs - and there would be no "Guadalajara" alternate takes.

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:23 pm

Mister Moon wrote:My point is, the acetate the Presleys kept at home in 1956 and the one they discovered in the 90s must be different artifacts.

If the world was a fair place, we would have the answer to these mysteries, and the "A Boy From Tupelo" FTD set would have contained six CDs - and there would be no "Guadalajara" alternate takes.

Sorry, but I don't believe Elvis recorded the song twice either.
Same artifact.
And with my earlier thread on the whole "Ed Leek" story, in which me & several others
poked some huge holes in the so-called "story" I believe that both acetates
in 1956 were still at home with Elvis at Audubon.
My belief is the first one was just taken out of the house by either fans or
one of his cousins as a souvenir.
The second may have been taken as well and eventually made into the hands of a collector.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:24 pm

Mister Moon wrote:My point is, the acetate the Presleys kept at home in 1956 and the one they discovered in the 90s must be different artifacts.

Just imagine it being a six CD set....
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:09 pm

So, what do you all think about this article written nearly 40 years ago.
Notice the way in which he states these things. Not speculation.....long before
the "my happiness" disc was discovered he states it exists, and in the same sentence, "as does a Sun tape of...."

I have been reading these types of articles for decades and watching as RCA has slowly been releasing this stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:15 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:So, what do you all think about this article written nearly 40 years ago.
Notice the way in which he states these things. Not speculation.....long before
the "my happiness" disc was discovered he states it exists, and in the same sentence, "as does a Sun tape of...."

I have been reading these types of articles for decades and watching as RCA has slowly been releasing this stuff.

Where is this from ?

That summer 1954 acetate could certainly be filed under "fiction".

Return to “Everything Elvis”