Mojo Filter

Re: When The Beatles Met Elvis

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:15 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
TonyS wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
TonyS wrote:Anyhow, talking of things that 'sound the same'... how about these two?

Both are James Burton. I can identify the second one ("Blue Suede Shoes", from "In Person"), but not the top one. Maybe some obscure instrumental ?

I Got A Feeling - Ricky Nelson
Blue Suede Shoes, In Person - Elvis Presley

James didn't even realise himself !
TRUE.

Did you play him both solos together ? That's interesting.

I didn't realise it was Ricky. I've got all his Verve / Imperial stuff, but I haven't listened to it in a long time.

I was watching some old Ricky TV shows on YouTube yesterday and watched a 1958 show where he sings "I Got A Feeling". It's the first time I've seen Burton playing a Rickenbacker guitar. Cool. It's surprised me because I always thought it was a 60s made guitar. When did they first come out? I'll have to check it out.

There's also footage of him playing a Gretsch. This is one of his first collaborations with Nelson, and one of the best solos he ever played :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoybeJv2irQ

It seems that Rickenbacker founded in 1931 making Hawaiian Steel guitars. Then they made regular guitars in the late 50s but didn't become real popular until the Beatles started using them, Lennon being the first then George followed and from there on.

Here's James with his Rickenbacker:

4909_jamesburtonjameskirklandrickenbackeradpicture_110689999599_1.jpg

autograph01.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Return to “Everything Elvis”