On tour box set

All the Elvis you can take

HD_RES

Re: On tour box set

Postby HD_RES » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:00 am

rockinrebel wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:I have a legitimate question here.

Since Ernst has made the decision finally to include complete studio sessions as he has been doing, why
can't he include complete rehearsals such the ones used in Elvis on tour?

I'd rather have the complete rehearsal rather than a heavily edited version of the rehearsals.

I also could ask the same question about complete home recording sessions.

Complete sessions belongs on FTD,not on a Sony release like this.
I dont mind that this isnt complete,and it includes too many For The Good Times takes :?

The Back In Nashville set was particularly sloppy with far too many false starts and studio chatter to stand up to repeated listening.

Yes the studio chatter and FS is cool to hear the first time around….and nice to have but it is a bit annoying hearing it over and over.
So with many tracks I have edited out dialogue and FS for my own listening pleasure.

John

Postby John » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:42 am

HD_RES wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
HD_RES wrote:

Since Ernst has made the decision finally to include complete studio sessions as he has been doing, why

I'd rather have the complete rehearsal rather than a heavily edited version of the rehearsals.

I dont mind that this isnt complete,and it includes too many For The Good Times takes :?

The Back In Nashville set was particularly sloppy with far too many false starts and studio chatter to stand up to repeated listening.

Yes the studio chatter and FS is cool to hear the first time around….and nice to have but it is a bit annoying hearing it over and over.
So with many tracks I have edited out dialogue and FS for my own listening pleasure.

Yes, that's the way to go. If you have the software and the ability to edit these things, then you can make your own tailormade album. I'm happy that all the chat and FS are left in, I'd sooner hear them than not. Personally I don't re-edit these things. It's fine that everything is there. It adds to the story.

Robbo

Postby Robbo » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:08 pm

https://youtu.be/e0EMZKj04J4
WTF. What's with the audio at the 0:42 mark? It's almost as if it's a mistake and the mix that he does on the 0:46 mark to include the Stamps was too early?
Last edited by Robbo on Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:25 pm

John wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
HD_RES wrote:

Yes, that's the way to go. If you have the software and the ability to edit these things, then you can make your own tailormade album. I'm happy that all the chat and FS are left in, I'd sooner hear them than not. Personally I don't re-edit these things. It's fine that everything is there. It adds to the story.

But aren't such things better suited to FTD? I'm talking about a mainstream release here. They could have surely presented the secular masters in a more listenable fashion. Especially when you consider that these tracks didn't really get the showcase they deserved upon their original release.

The piano songs are great performances for example. But the unedited takes with all the breakdowns left in are surely going to sound sloppy to casual buyers and people listening via streaming services. And from a fan's perspective we already have the unedited masters on the Fool FTD.

That's the point I'm trying to make here. You can barely tell the difference between mainstream releases and FTD titles now. The days of carefully sequenced box sets such as Collectors Gold and Platinum are sadly long gone. There just isn't enough creativity shown with the mainstream releases anymore...

John

Postby John » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:56 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
John wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
HD_RES wrote:

But aren't such things better suited to FTD? I'm talking about a mainstream release here. They could have surely presented the secular masters in a more listenable fashion. Especially when you consider that these tracks didn't really get the showcase they deserved upon their original release.

The piano songs are great performances for example. But the unedited takes with all the breakdowns left in are surely going to sound sloppy to casual buyers and people listening via streaming services. And from a fan's perspective we already have the unedited masters on the Fool FTD.

That's the point I'm trying to make here. You can barely tell the difference between mainstream releases and FTD titles now. The days of carefully sequenced box sets such as Collectors Gold and Platinum are sadly long gone. There just isn't enough creativity shown with the mainstream releases anymore...

It's not something I lose sleep over.

Rickeap

Postby Rickeap » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:44 pm

You couldn't release full unedited sessions on a mainstream release.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:20 am

Rickeap wrote:You couldn't release full unedited sessions on a mainstream release.

You could.

John

Postby John » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:07 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
Rickeap wrote:You couldn't release full unedited sessions on a mainstream release.

You could.

I don't think everything that was on the Amiga set is on the EOT box.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:23 am

If I'm buying a mainstream release, I want discs that are properly sequenced and stand up to repeated listening. Yes, I could edit the tracks on my computer, but isn't that the job of Ernst and the team at Sony?

If we already have a collector's label issuing complete sessions and soundboard audio, then surely the purpose of the mainstream titles is to present Elvis in the best way possible.

But I think the producers are losing sight of this, as sadly, the vast majority of mainstream titles have little appeal outside of the core fan base now - and by targeting the same people that buy the FTD releases - the collectors mindset is now applied when these discs are being compiled.

The way that the Essential series was edited and sequenced was ideal for presenting the best of the alternate recordings from a particular period to a mainstream audience - and those discs still stand up to repeated listening today.

If someone really wants to listen to multiple (often incomplete) takes of the same song, then we have FTD to serve that purpose. But with the Back In Nashville set for example - on the first disc in particular - there was an ideal opportunity to present the secular masters in a coherent fashion for the first time - something which would have showcased Elvis' tentative ideas for the folk album, and given some idea of what RCA could, and should have done with these recordings back in 1971 - 72.

We've had this level of creativity from Ernst and the team in the past, with titles like For The Asking and Tomorrow Is A Long Time, but it just isn't there anymore.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:54 pm

rockinrebel wrote:If I'm buying a mainstream release, I want discs that are properly sequenced and stand up to repeated listening. Yes, I could edit the tracks on my computer, but isn't that the job of Ernst and the team at Sony?

If we already have a collector's label issuing complete sessions and soundboard audio, then surely the purpose of the mainstream titles is to present Elvis in the best way possible.

But I think the producers are losing sight of this, as sadly, the vast majority of mainstream titles have little appeal outside of the core fan base now - and by targeting the same people that buy the FTD releases - the collectors mindset is now applied when these discs are being compiled.

The way that the Essential series was edited and sequenced was ideal for presenting the best of the alternate recordings from a particular period to a mainstream audience - and those discs still stand up to repeated listening today.

If someone really wants to listen to multiple (often incomplete) takes of the same song, then we have FTD to serve that purpose. But with the Back In Nashville set for example - on the first disc in particular - there was an ideal opportunity to present the secular masters in a coherent fashion for the first time - something which would have showcased Elvis' tentative ideas for the folk album, and given some idea of what RCA could, and should have done with these recordings back in 1971 - 72.

We've had this level of creativity from Ernst and the team in the past, with titles like For The Asking and Tomorrow Is A Long Time, but it just isn't there anymore.

In my opinion, we have had "properly sequenced" releases over and over again for decades.

I have no interest in albums from Elvis as if he is still alive.

He's been dead since 1977, and I am in collector mode. I just want to obtain previously unreleased performances.

I don't have time for this, at this time in my life. Since sales of physical product is not the same as it was

pre-2000, box sets of sessions in bulk is the way to go. I have ZERO interest in downloading and streaming.

I want the box sets of his whole output. It's about collecting at this point for me. I am long past albums for "listening pleasure".

If I want that, I can go into any one of the millions of albums that have been released up to this point.

Right now, we are bottoming out. Not much of anything interesting has been put out since The boy from Tupelo.

Currently my interest in collecting has been video because with blu-ray's, there has been a real noticeable upgrade
in the movie career of Elvis Presley.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:32 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:If I'm buying a mainstream release, I want discs that are properly sequenced and stand up to repeated listening. Yes, I could edit the tracks on my computer, but isn't that the job of Ernst and the team at Sony?

In my opinion, we have had "properly sequenced" releases over and over again for decades.

I have no interest in albums from Elvis as if he is still alive.

He's been dead since 1977, and I am in collector mode. I just want to obtain previously unreleased performances.

I don't have time for this, at this time in my life. Since sales of physical product is not the same as it was

pre-2000, box sets of sessions in bulk is the way to go. I have ZERO interest in downloading and streaming.

I want the box sets of his whole output. It's about collecting at this point for me. I am long past albums for "listening pleasure".

If I want that, I can go into any one of the millions of albums that have been released up to this point.

Right now, we are bottoming out. Not much of anything interesting has been put out since The boy from Tupelo.

Currently my interest in collecting has been video because with blu-ray's, there has been a real noticeable upgrade
in the movie career of Elvis Presley.

This is an interesting point of view, which I think is shared by many fans. Personally though, I've gone past the point of building an archive that is just going to gather dust on my shelves. So, if I'm not buying an album for 'listening pleasure', then I don't see the point in owning it at all.

I bought a few of the early FTD sessions sets, but I soon realised that I preferred the sequencing on the 7" classic albums - so I stopped collecting them. I might be missing some dialogue and false starts here and there, but such things really don't bother me.

Having everything, just so that you can say that you've got everything, doesn't make any sense to me at all. But I do understand that for many people that's the nature of collecting. However, the demand for every second of previously unissued material - irrespective of its quality - has certainly had an impact on the way mainstream projects are compiled, and for me, not always in a positive way either.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:09 pm

It's not as though I don't like listening pleasure, it's just that I have those albums for that when I want that.
All of Elvis' albums have been released for listening pleasure already, and I have them all.
At this point, I rarely sit and listen to a whole album in a row anyway.
I will seek out a certain song for instance, or a certain performance.
I get in moods where I want to listen to a certain era or session.
Like today for example, I am going to watch the uncut shows he did for the 68 special on DVD.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:10 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:It's not as though I don't like listening pleasure, it's just that I have those albums for that when I want that.
All of Elvis' albums have been released for listening pleasure already, and I have them all.
At this point, I rarely sit and listen to a whole album in a row anyway.
I will seek out a certain song for instance, or a certain performance.
I get in moods where I want to listen to a certain era or session.
Like today for example, I am going to watch the uncut shows he did for the 68 special on DVD.

I understand. I was a fan and became a collector. Then in the golden era of CD boots, and the early days of FTD, I bought everything I could get my hands on. A lot of those titles don't get played anymore though, unless I'm researching a project, and it's fair to say that I've got a lot of discs which are unlikely to get played again.

In recent years, I've got back into collecting vinyl, so my listening habits have changed somewhat - going back to hearing the music as it was originally released - and therefore, listening mainly to the masters.

I agree with the idea of having a personal 'archive' which you can dip into to create playlists or CD compilations, but I think I've got the best of the available out takes and live shows now, and that's enough for me.

You can't go wrong with the '68 stuff though...I'm sure we can all agree on that. Enjoy and have a great Christmas!

Presley2020

Postby Presley2020 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:34 pm

I am currently listening to the Greensboro show from the new On Tour set, and comparing tracks to the Madison release “A Greensboro Revolution.” I do not have the Amiga set, but I do have the Madison releases of three of the shows, and the Triangle release of the Hampton Roads show. The Greensboro show sounds strange on the new set….extremely muffled. On the Madison release, the sound is much less muffled. Perhaps Madison had access to the MGM tape? Definitely sounds like two different sources.

Simon1

Postby Simon1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:29 am

Presley2020 wrote:I am currently listening to the Greensboro show from the new On Tour set, and comparing tracks to the Madison release “A Greensboro Revolution.” I do not have the Amiga set, but I do have the Madison releases of three of the shows, and the Triangle release of the Hampton Roads show. The Greensboro show sounds strange on the new set….extremely muffled. On the Madison release, the sound is much less muffled. Perhaps Madison had access to the MGM tape? Definitely sounds like two different sources.

Heard it all before, often in better quality even, only interested in new unreleased footage from the movie.

Return to “Everything Elvis”