On tour box set

All the Elvis you can take

scottwalker

Re: On tour box set

Postby scottwalker » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:03 pm

HD_RES wrote:
scottwalker wrote:Listened to some tracks from all of the 4 concerts (its available on the internet already).

What a huge disappointment. While the Aloha From Hawaii from Matt Ross-Spang is a delight to hear, this EOT isn't my cup of tea. Ive compared it to the Amiga box, the difference is huge, in favor of the Amiga set.

The Amiga set was a big disappointment to me and not to mention the high price due to a huge book that I dont care much for.
At least Hampton is complete and in stereo for the first time ever on the new OT set.
Not a big fan of Matt Ross-Spang previously work…..a bit of hit&miss.
I havent heard this one yet(will tomorrow) but Aloha have never been a good Elvis show IMO,no mix can change that.

The mix is way better on the Amiga set, and that in mono. Ive been living without the 3 unreleased tracks and a incomplete “ Lawdy Miss Clawdy” for years, so that doesn’t make up for the bad mix on the Legacy set. On a side-note, there are also technical problems with Elvis’ mic during “I Got A Woman” from Hampton Roads.

So, the delay isn’t that of a letdown anymore. I could live without this Legacy set, and continue to enjoy the Amiga set, where you can perfectly hear Mr. Tutt’s great drumming. The mix as a whole on the Legacy set is a disaster.

John

Postby John » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:09 pm

scottwalker wrote:
HD_RES wrote:
scottwalker wrote:Listened to some tracks from all of the 4 concerts (its available on the internet already).

What a huge disappointment. While the Aloha From Hawaii from Matt Ross-Spang is a delight to hear, this EOT isn't my cup of tea. Ive compared it to the Amiga box, the difference is huge, in favor of the Amiga set.

The Amiga set was a big disappointment to me and not to mention the high price due to a huge book that I dont care much for.
At least Hampton is complete and in stereo for the first time ever on the new OT set.
I havent heard this one yet(will tomorrow) but Aloha have never been a good Elvis show IMO,no mix can change that.

The mix is way better on the Amiga set, and that in mono. Ive been living without the 3 unreleased tracks and a incomplete “ Lawdy Miss Clawdy” for years, so that doesn’t make up for the bad mix on the Legacy set. On a side-note, there are also technical problems with Elvis’ mic during “I Got A Woman” from Hampton Roads.

So, the delay isn’t that of a letdown anymore. I could live without this Legacy set, and continue to enjoy the Amiga set, where you can perfectly hear Mr. Tutt’s great drumming. The mix as a whole on the Legacy set is a disaster.

We should get them to recall the whole thing and burn it, along with the tapes so that it can never be heard again.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:30 pm

John wrote:We should get them to recall the whole thing and burn it, along with the tapes so that it can never be heard again.

Philistine !
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:05 am

John wrote:
scottwalker wrote:
HD_RES wrote:

We should get them to recall the whole thing and burn it, along with the tapes so that it can never be heard again.

Don’t cry, its listenable. But there are mono-soundboard recordings from the FTD catalog, that sounds better.

HD_RES

Postby HD_RES » Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:10 am

scottwalker wrote:
HD_RES wrote:

The mix is way better on the Amiga set, and that in mono.

After listening a bit I must say that I dont agree with you at all.
Is it perfect or the best sounding Elvis concert,no but its more than good enough imo
As for mono sound I must say that I have always disliked that sound format A LOT.
Its the main reason I dont care for soundboards or most of the 68 Comeback recordings.
Listening to mono recordings with headphones is simply a awful experience.
But it doesnt matter what you or I think but rather what the general fans think and from posts on Facebook and FECC most seems very happy with the overall sound&mix.

John

Postby John » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:07 pm

scottwalker wrote:
HD_RES wrote:

I ordered the CD set from Amazon, so I wasn't going to listen to this till I received it in January. However, I got an mp3 free download from Amazon this morning. I've very quickly dipped into half a dozen tracks, and they sound great. Amiga? Pah!

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:36 pm

I have finished listening to all of the four concerts. Compared them to previous releases.

The sound is muffled and dull. Elvis’ voice is too far in the mix. The difference, San Antonio, from Close-Up and this Legacy set is minimal. The bass drum is so dominant, on all four, it sounds like a contemporary dance event. The snare-drum on Greensboro is barely audible. If it wasn’t for the bassdrum, you wonder if Tutt was actually there on stage.

The sound on the Amiga set is crystal clear, with Elvis voice nicely upfront.

More and more negative comments ive read on the internet. And then to think we have to wait so long for an official release.

Elvis On Tour from Sony Legacy? Pah!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:50 pm

I've been listening to the concerts this week using a mobile phone, streaming via Amazon Music, through a £39 Bluetooth speaker, in an unfurnshed glass conservatory with a concrete floor and bare plaster walls. So not exactly the ideal listening conditions.

I don't recognise any of the problems that other people have described, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the music. Not for the first time, it seems to me that some Elvis fans are more interested in dissecting the mix and the mastering than enjoying the performance.

John

Postby John » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:26 pm

Richard wrote:I've been listening to the concerts this week using a mobile phone, streaming via Amazon Music, through a £39 Bluetooth speaker, in an unfurnshed glass conservatory with a concrete floor and bare plaster walls. So not exactly the ideal listening conditions.

I don't recognise any of the problems that other people have described, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the music. Not for the first time, it seems to me that some Elvis fans are more interested in dissecting the mix and the mastering than enjoying the performance.

Yeah, 'cause everybody's an expert these days. Sod 'em.

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:24 am

John wrote:
Richard wrote:I've been listening to the concerts this week using a mobile phone, streaming via Amazon Music, through a £39 Bluetooth speaker, in an unfurnshed glass conservatory with a concrete floor and bare plaster walls. So not exactly the ideal listening conditions.

Yeah, 'cause everybody's an expert these days. Sod 'em.

No need to be an expert. All you need is two ears. That simple.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:56 pm

For your ears.

02 See See Rider [With Well, Now intro] 03 I Got A Woman - Amen[WithFull Vocal]
www.mediafire.com/file/bn7m4h7iaw7rzm7/ ... ro.7z/file

Live at Hampton Roads Coliseum, Hampton Roads, VA - April 9, 1972
Repaired vocal damage.03 I Got A Woman Amen
www.mediafire.com/file/lhz351cqws9uu5h/ ... 5D.7z/file
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

elvis-fan

Postby elvis-fan » Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:54 am

HD_RES wrote:But it doesnt matter what you or I think but rather what the general fans think and from posts on Facebook and FECC most seems very happy with the overall sound&mix.

Of course we are... because the reality is the mixes are fine and a significant improvement over anything we've had to date. When I get the new set in the new year, I'll use my Amiga CD's for coasters...

Stevenson

Postby Stevenson » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:59 am

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I guess it works both ways and for the music, too.
Have listened to some of the songs, no complaints here.
Sad to witness bashing of a release that was waited for long time.

HillbillyCat

Postby HillbillyCat » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:54 am

Stevenson wrote:"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I guess it works both ways and for the music, too.
Have listened to some of the songs, no complaints here.
Sad to witness bashing of a release that was waited for long time.

This could be the main reason why some are disappointed. The expectations built up over decades were possibly too great. But one have to be honest - and I think even Ernst and Co. would agree with me on this - it's not the best they could have done: Apparently, the disputes with the rights holder of the film meant that not all possible audio sources could be used (particularly related to the problem with Hampton Roads' "I Got A Woman"). And that's really a shame. In addition, what Stevenson implied at the beginning of his posting really applies: It's hard to argue about taste. If anyone is happy with the Amiga box (or any other older release) then so be it. If others are completely satisfied with the new release, then that's fine too. Pointing out objective weaknesses of a new release is absolutely legitimate - but it's also no reason for condemn it completely - just like there's no reason to throw the old release in the trash (if that's what anyone intend to do, just send it to me instead :lol:).

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:58 am

elvis-fan wrote:
HD_RES wrote:But it doesnt matter what you or I think but rather what the general fans think and from posts on Facebook and FECC most seems very happy with the overall sound&mix.

Of course we are... because the reality is the mixes are fine and a significant improvement over anything we've had to date. When I get the new set in the new year, I'll use my Amiga CD's for coasters...

Reality? No. Opinion, yes. The delay for release was the first letdown in the first place. Second, as icing on the cake, the rather disappointing result of the sound/mix. Official, doesn't automatically means, it's good in every way.

Therefore , I've cancelled my order for the Legacy set. The Amiga set represents the EOT material well, as well as the material has been known for years, so an official release does not really make it spectacular, apart from the disappointing sound.

Return to “Everything Elvis”