Status of Elvis Sessions IV by JAT Productions

All the Elvis you can take

Yin Yang

Re: Status of Elvis Sessions IV by JAT Productions

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:21 pm

Does anybody know what happened to the RCA-Victor paperwork that once upon a time Ger Ryff planned to publish in a book but was stopped by RCA-Victor for infringing the RCA-Victor copyright?

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:21 am

DarylR wrote:
kevanbudd wrote:
DarylR wrote:
As far as other things we located, we did locate an acetate of the stereo masters from "Follow That Dream," an acetate from the February 1967 "Clambake" sessions where you can hear someone (possibly Jeffrey Alexander and definitely not Elvis) singing guide vocals on some of the songs where Elvis added his vocal later.

Daryl R

HI Daryl, another very interesting update,thank you.

Could you tell us the condition of the audio (if you have it) on the `Follow that dream` Stereo masters acetate?

Does it contain all song masters recorded?

Kevan Budd.

The quality of the acetate recording is really great. There's some pops and crackles that I am sure could be cleaned up. Nothing really noticeable about it. Yes, I do have it and I just listened to it about a minute ago. It runs 13 minutes and 39 seconds. 6 songs. Just the masters. Order of the songs on the acetate is:

1. Angel
2. Follow That Dream
3. What A Wonderful Life
4. I'm Not The Marrying Kind
5. Sound Advice
6. A Whistling Tune (with Ray Walker's whistling overdub)

Daryl R

That's truly great news Daryl that should cause quite a stir, Thanks again for sharing.

Is it possible to post a short sample or two?

Will you consider a deal with FTD/SONY for these long lost gems?

Kevan Budd.

Topic author
DarylR

Postby DarylR » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:20 pm

kevanbudd wrote:
DarylR wrote:
kevanbudd wrote:
DarylR wrote:
As far as other things we located, we did locate an acetate of the stereo masters from "Follow That Dream," an acetate from the February 1967 "Clambake" sessions where you can hear someone (possibly Jeffrey Alexander and definitely not Elvis) singing guide vocals on some of the songs where Elvis added his vocal later.

Daryl R

HI Daryl, another very interesting update,thank you.

Could you tell us the condition of the audio (if you have it) on the `Follow that dream` Stereo masters acetate?

Does it contain all song masters recorded?

Kevan Budd.

The quality of the acetate recording is really great. There's some pops and crackles that I am sure could be cleaned up. Nothing really noticeable about it. Yes, I do have it and I just listened to it about a minute ago. It runs 13 minutes and 39 seconds. 6 songs. Just the masters. Order of the songs on the acetate is:

1. Angel
2. Follow That Dream
3. What A Wonderful Life
4. I'm Not The Marrying Kind
5. Sound Advice
6. A Whistling Tune (with Ray Walker's whistling overdub)

Daryl R

That's truly great news Daryl that should cause quite a stir, Thanks again for sharing.

Is it possible to post a short sample or two?

Will you consider a deal with FTD/SONY for these long lost gems?

Kevan Budd.

I've been open to a deal for them and I'm pretty sure Joe is. I've asked Ernst about them before in an email and he seemed moderately interested. The deal would have to be approved by both Joe and I, as we shared the cost of acquiring the recording. No, I unfortunately cannot post a sample. Joe would probably kill me. I can only assume that the reason why Ernst was only moderately interested is because he is holding out hope that a tape source with the stereo masters will one day surface. Several years back, I helped facilitate a deal between Joe and Ernst for the two shows featured on the FTD release, "The On Stage Season," which I still think is the best non-multi-track concert release by FTD. Basically, in an email to Ernst, I asked him why he hadn't put out those two shows up to that point on FTD, knowing that Joe had told me about having the recordings of both shows in phenomenal quality. I can't remember exactly what he told me at the time (I still have the emails somewhere) but I told him that Joe has both shows in great quality and is open to making a deal for both shows. If I remember correctly from what Joe told me back then, he had to send the tapes to New York at the time. I never did get credited in that FTD release, though. Oh, well.

I went back yesterday after listening to the acetate recording and listened to it again and took some notes. As I mentioned, the acetate recording file is 13 minutes and 39 seconds. The reason I went back is because I just wanted to check and see if the masters on the acetate were edited / faded in any way compared to the monaural versions. This is what I came up with. I may be off by a second or two on these but here goes:

0:00-0:02 silence
0:03-2:45 Angel (2:42)
2:46-2:51 gap between tracks
2:52-4:33 Follow That Dream (1:41)
4:35-4:39 gap between tracks
4:40-7:10 What A Wonderful Life (2:30)
7:11-7:17 gap between tracks
7:18-9:10 I'm Not The Marrying Kind (1:52)
9:11-9:12 gap between songs
9:13-10:59 Sound Advice (1:46)
11:00-11:06 gap between songs
11:07-13:29 A Whistling Tune (2:22)
13:30-13:39 silence

After I went back and listened to it, I did notice some distortion (heavier crackling and popping) towards the end of "A Whistling Tune." That's probably the worst spot on the entire acetate. It's only in the last 5-10 seconds or so. I still think it can be cleaned up.

Daryl R

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:28 pm

Reading about these FTD tracks I notice on the acetates:
1) What a wonderful life is longer on the acetate (2:40) comparing the master (2:28);

2) I’m not the marrying kind is shorter on the acetate (1:40) comparing the master (1:52).

Maybe a longer fade out (# 1) or edited (# 2)? I think basicly the recorded masters are on these acetates.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg1935

Postby Greg1935 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:03 pm

I do have some interesting and unpublished material that might be valuable for the project. I'm happy to share it.

If someone know the right person, he can contact me at: eppreservationsociety@gmail.com

Topic author
DarylR

Postby DarylR » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:24 pm

Greg1935 wrote:I do have some interesting and unpublished material that might be valuable for the project. I'm happy to share it.

If someone know the right person, he can contact me at: eppreservationsociety@gmail.com

Greg1935, I just emailed you and also sent you a PM.

sitdown revamped

Postby sitdown revamped » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Well, just add a decent recording of the Sun-Version of Tiger Man, Only You, Rock Around The Clock, and Fools Hall Of Fame and whatever got lost from the 50's tours and the 61 Concerts in Memphis and call it a day ;-)

Leigh

Postby Leigh » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:16 pm

Great thread, look forward to more updates.

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:12 pm

Leigh wrote:Great thread, look forward to more updates.

So am I. Thanks for providing details and clarification. This will be an essential purchase for many.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:55 pm

When I look to the number of described photographs it’s a photo-book for me.
Personally I’m more interested in the history of a recording session: documents – (rejected) demos – background information etc. The book must reveal new information (not available on the web!)
For newbies it seems to be a great book (recommended) but for me I doubt.

colonel snow

bluehawaii

Postby bluehawaii » Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 pm

colonel snow wrote:When I look to the number of described photographs it’s a photo-book for me.
Personally I’m more interested in the history of a recording session: documents – (rejected) demos – background information etc. The book must reveal new information (not available on the web!)
For newbies it seems to be a great book (recommended) but for me I doubt.

colonel snow

I totally agree but I doubt they'd put all these pictures into just one book.

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:23 pm

I understand all described photo’s will not be included but personallly I don’t care about any included photo. I’m not a photo collector. As I stated I hope it’s not a photobook but I doubt.

The details of the scoring sessions for movies could be interesting when track numbers/ titles are mentioned (no details about the musicians!). I know it's book about Elvis' recordings but this is yet a part of his musical career.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:00 pm

Anything known about a cancelled recording session on 20 august 1966 or is it just a rumour in the newpaper not based on facts? It’s known Elvis broke with Radio Recorders around this time.
I like to read in the book about these kind of news / information.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:19 pm

colonel snow wrote:Anything known about a cancelled recording session on 20 august 1966 or is it just a rumour in the newpaper not based on facts? It’s known Elvis broke with Radio Recorders around this time.
I like to read in the book about these kind of news / information.

colonel snow

Not heard anything about this.

kevanbudd

Postby kevanbudd » Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:15 am

I would very much welcome the complete studio session photos included, but can skip the TV show etc pictures - which have had their own separate projects, hopefully keeping size and costs down.

Kevan Budd.

Return to “Everything Elvis”