Topic author
elvistcb73

Elvis Louisiana Hayride 1955

Postby elvistcb73 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:46 am

I wondered if anyone has any footage from this peformance

Yin Yang

Re: Elvis Louisiana Hayride 1955

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:47 pm

I wonder if anyone knows of a list of all Elvis' performances with songs he sang.
Contents of this weekly radio show seems to be a great mystery, even after almost 70 years.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:14 pm

Yin Yang wrote:I wonder if anyone knows of a list of all Elvis' performances with songs he sang.
Contents of this weekly radio show seems to be a great mystery, even after almost 70 years.

I used to have some stuff about a 14-year-old girl in the 50s, who used to secretly listen to the Hayride broadcasts when under her bed covers !

She made a written dated note of each song & performer in a notepad.

Turned out her notes were the only surviving physical record of what was broadcast !

Can't find any of it now...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

colonel snow

Postby colonel snow » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:25 pm

5 march 1955 evening - Louisiana Hayride
From the notes of a listener these songs were performed:
Tweedle dee – Little Mama – Money honey – Shake rattle and roll

Released on CD A boy from Tupelo (different order of songs!!)
Tweedle dee – Money honey – Hearts of stone – Shake rattle and roll – Little Mama – You're a heartbreaker

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DarylR

Postby DarylR » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:54 am

Colin B wrote:I used to have some stuff about a 14-year-old girl in the 50s, who used to secretly listen to the Hayride broadcasts when under her bed covers !

Joyce Railsback was her name. Joe Tunzi published a list of these in his "Sessions II" book many years ago. Some of the actual diary entries, such as the one colonelsnow posted can be seen in another book published by Tunzi that he did with Joey Kent, the owner of the Louisiana Hayride name. At some point, Kent got either possession or a chance to see Railsback's diary pages and he took notes on the diary. If I remember correctly, he sent his notes on the diary to both Tunzi and Ernst Jorgensen. Somewhere, I have a copy of his notes that describe the diary and lists the songs with the dates.

DarylR

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am

Colin B wrote:I used to have some stuff about a 14-year-old girl in the 50s, who used to secretly listen to the Hayride broadcasts when under her bed covers !
DarylR wrote:Joyce Railsback was her name. Joe Tunzi published a list of these in his "Sessions II" book many years ago. Some of the actual diary entries, such as the one colonelsnow posted can be seen in another book published by Tunzi that he did with Joey Kent, the owner of the Louisiana Hayride name. At some point, Kent got either possession or a chance to see Railsback's diary pages and he took notes on the diary. If I remember correctly, he sent his notes on the diary to both Tunzi and Ernst Jorgensen. Somewhere, I have a copy of his notes that describe the diary and lists the songs with the dates.

Thanks for the info !

Must have read about Joyce Railsback in Joe Tunzi's Sessions II - can't check it out as I've got Sessions III in the bookcase
with previous issues up in the attic somewhere !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

martin018

Postby martin018 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:53 pm

I have the Louisiana Hayride book that Tunzi.
It came with a cd of Hayride tracks and the book had many of Joyce Railsbacks notes.

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:28 pm

What is the most frustrating thing is that only about 20 Elvis performances exist on audio from nearly 2 years of him being on the radio while
Hank Williams and other artists have 100+ surviving audio of their performances and they were years before Elvis.

John

Postby John » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:50 pm

martin018 wrote:I have the Louisiana Hayride book that Tunzi.
It came with a cd of Hayride tracks and the book had many of Joyce Railsbacks notes.

I have it too but some of those notes are not easy to read.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:41 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:What is the most frustrating thing is that only about 20 Elvis performances exist on audio from nearly 2 years of him being on the radio while
Hank Williams and other artists have 100+ surviving audio of their performances and they were years before Elvis.

It's odd, isn't it ?

Maybe they felt he wasn't 'country' enough to make recordings & preserve them.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:28 am

Colin B wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:What is the most frustrating thing is that only about 20 Elvis performances exist on audio from nearly 2 years of him being on the radio while

It's odd, isn't it ?

or that he was a flash in the pan.

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:36 am

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:

It's odd, isn't it ?

or that he was a flash in the pan.

Or perhaps the colonel bought all the tapes later on and burned them lol along with The Pied Piper of Cleveland because elvis mentioned he had just recorded Tiger Man at sun and Parker didn't want us to know... :lol:

No, serious now, it's such a shame so few were recorded. Perhaps they were but haven't surfaced yet. History in the making they just didn't know at the time
"Man, I just work here..."

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:07 am

Weird almost no recordings surfaced. A major fault of his manager not to record these performances.
Rumour has it Gary Pepper recorded all shows but destroyed the tapes when Elvis died because he did not want anybody to make money off these.
As a friend respect, as a fan what a stupid thing to do.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:17 am

Yin Yang wrote:Weird almost no recordings surfaced. A major fault of his manager not to record these performances.
Rumour has it Gary Pepper recorded all shows but destroyed the tapes when Elvis died because he did not want anybody to make money off these.

If Gary Pepper recorded all the shows, surely there were other fans who also did it ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:38 am

Yin Yang wrote:Weird almost no recordings surfaced. A major fault of his manager not to record these performances.

Just because they haven't surfaced yet doesn't mean they aren't out there. I am an archivist for a comedy show and many people have been found to be sitting on rare footage and not even know it. Sometimes they know they have it but don't think it's valuable, or want too much money and over value it. But mostly we find stuff in attics and garages lol.

Maybe not so in this case but there is always hope.
"Man, I just work here..."

Return to “Everything Elvis”