Priscilla (Sofia Coppola film)

All the Elvis you can take

davrid

Re: Priscilla (Sofia Coppola film)

Postby davrid » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:17 pm

If you'd taken the time to look around, you'd have seen that this is a trouble free forum. As for standards of grammar and writing, you must appreciate that there are people here with differing educational standards, different levels of the command of the English language, quite a few whose first language is not English.

As a barrister, I'm sure you've encountered many clients who have difficulties expressing themselves properly, so a little less judgement would be appreciated.

It's been my misfortune to encounter three barristers in the last five years. One of them could barely understand the case in front of her, never mind formulate a robust case on behalf of her client.

It doesn't take a barrister to gobble up and spit out fatuous and puerile responses, just common sense.

Anyway, stick around, but please let's have less of a judgemental attitude.[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I apologise if the tone of my post was perceived as contrary to the standards and ideals of these Boards. However, I, and surely no one, can allow such ridiculous and inflammatory accusations to be posted without contest. To claim Elvis tried to rape Priscilla, or indeed anyone, when such a statement is not supported by any sources, including Priscilla herself, not even the risible film, is disingenuous and belittles and dismisses the terror and suffering of the many many victims of sexual assault I have represented, in addition, to those falsely accused of the one of the most serious crimes in English, Scottish and, indeed, US State and Federal jurisdictions - albeit that spousal rape did not exist in any primary legal jurisdiction until the 90s. I suggest it is invariably and ineffably better - and more conducive to the aims and policies of this site - to educate oneself prior to espousing on a topic of which the poster has absolutely no understanding whatsoever.

I am sorry for your experience with barristers. Although upholding professional standards is the primary role of the Bar Council and Faculty of Advocates, sometimes these standards, sadly, are not acheived but as with all careers, there is a 'learning and experience curve', but inevitably, there will be instances of the 'wrong person in the wrong career', hence why the profession has such a high early-carrer drop-out rate.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:25 pm

davrid wrote:...Count me out of this forum if "Scottwalker's" post is an example of the standard of debate
(and indeed grammar and writing)...

No member's post can be 'an example of the standard of debate' on this forum.

We all have our own views & we encourage posts which reflect the differences in order to spark discussion.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:11 pm

''One part of "Elvis and Me" that's been the subject of much controversy is where Priscilla describes an instance in 1972 where Elvis, as she put it in her memoir, "forcefully made love to me." She's since altered this recollection as being about rough but consensual sex rather than something worse. "Priscilla" avoids getting too graphic with the scene, but the film's version nonetheless leans towards a harsher assessment of the book's description, staging it as if Elvis is attempting to assault Priscilla before she stops him.''

https://www.looper.com/1422324/priscill ... rue-story/

davrid

Postby davrid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:46 pm

scottwalker wrote:''One part of "Elvis and Me" that's been the subject of much controversy is where Priscilla describes an instance in 1972 where Elvis, as she put it in her memoir, "forcefully made love to me." She's since altered this recollection as being about rough but consensual sex rather than something worse. "Priscilla" avoids getting too graphic with the scene, but the film's version nonetheless leans towards a harsher assessment of the book's description, staging it as if Elvis is attempting to assault Priscilla before she stops him.''

I am no fan of Priscilla's, indeed, I detest her egotistical narrative of victim, then saviour; she is manipulative, motivated by fame, attention and money, even to the extent of trying to sue her own daughter and granddaughter, as indeed post-divorce, she sued Elvis for intrinsic fraud. However, in fairness to her, she has not altered anything at all concerning this incident, the one you egregiously described as 'attempted rape'. At no time has she said the sex was non-consensual; no time that it was 'forcible'; indeed, if she used the term 'rough', which I have never seen from any primary source, then it fully reinforces the comments in her book of "... forcefully made love to me". She has changed absolutely nothing.

I do not understand what your agenda has been regarding this. Possibly, your original wording was simply poorly constructed. But to be very very clear: Elvis did not try to 'rape' Priscilla - as I explained previously, the modern meaning of 'rape' is purely a legal device that has since entered the vernacular - she has never claimed anything remotely of the kind. As I also said, as someone who works almost daily with victims of sexual assault, and those accused maliciously and/or wrongfully, your fantastical narrative diminishes the pain and suffering of real victims.

John

Postby John » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:39 pm

davrid wrote:
scottwalker wrote:''One part of "Elvis and Me" that's been the subject of much controversy is where Priscilla describes an instance in 1972 where Elvis, as she put it in her memoir, "forcefully made love to me." She's since altered this recollection as being about rough but consensual sex rather than something worse. "Priscilla" avoids getting too graphic with the scene, but the film's version nonetheless leans towards a harsher assessment of the book's description, staging it as if Elvis is attempting to assault Priscilla before she stops him.''

I am no fan of Priscilla's, indeed, I detest her egotistical narrative of victim, then saviour; she is manipulative, motivated by fame, attention and money, even to the extent of trying to sue her own daughter and granddaughter, as indeed post-divorce, she sued Elvis for intrinsic fraud. However, in fairness to her, she has not altered anything at all concerning this incident, the one you egregiously described as 'attempted rape'. At no time has she said the sex was non-consensual; no time that it was 'forcible'; indeed, if she used the term 'rough', which I have never seen from any primary source, then it fully reinforces the comments in her book of "... forcefully made love to me". She has changed absolutely nothing.

I do not understand what your agenda has been regarding this. Possibly, your original wording was simply poorly constructed. But to be very very clear: Elvis did not try to 'rape' Priscilla - as I explained previously, the modern meaning of 'rape' is purely a legal device that has since entered the vernacular - she has never claimed anything remotely of the kind. As I also said, as someone who works almost daily with victims of sexual assault, and those accused maliciously and/or wrongfully, your fantastical narrative diminishes the pain and suffering of real victims.

I don't believe that scottwalker has an agenda, and maybe, MAYBE, his original wording was simple poorly constructed, as you suggest, or maybe it wasn't. He was just trying to convey what he got from the film, and maybe, MAYBE, he misinterpreted it. I haven't seen the film and I don't intend do.

Take it from me though, he's been a member here for nearly three years and is not a troublemaker.

However, I think you've made your point, and presented your credentials, so can we move on now please? After all, this is not a court of law.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:51 pm

I'm guessing that this is the same "Davrid" who posted a handful of times on FECC, and then disappeared after getting into a heated exchange with the first person who disagreed with him.

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:48 pm

davrid wrote:

First of all, I have no agenda in Priscilla's favor. She is one of the most disliked people in Presley history. The only thing she's done right is open up Graceland. What Priscilla did after the divorce, many would have done the same. The film is only about Elvis and Priscilla's relationship (1959 - 1972). I can't blame her for even leaving Elvis Presley.

Again, the film suggests that Elvis didn't approach sex in the most romantic way. She held off the boat. So you too, DAVRID, cannot possibly know what happened, and what would have happened if Priscilla did not make it clear that she did not like Elvis' approach.

The work you do in daily life doesn't interest me one bit, so your so-called professional chatter leaves me completely cold and certainly makes 0.0% impression. Who cares?

For the second time, go to the FECC forum, where you can act as the running boy of psychopath Carpenter.

John

Postby John » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:29 pm

I think we'll leave it there. Thank you all.

Yin Yang

Postby Yin Yang » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:59 pm

For people interested and living in The Netherlands or spending a holiday in The Netherlands, this movie will be in selected theaters from January 4, 2024 onwards.

https://www.cineart.nl/films/priscilla? ... Os#tickets

Topic author
Nigel77

Postby Nigel77 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:44 am

My review of the film is now on EIN: https://www.elvisinfonet.com/Spotlight- ... ppola.html

AndresVanKujik

Postby AndresVanKujik » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:41 am

I won't join in the debate about the films content as I haven't seen it and have absolutely no intention to. I find Priscilla to be an annoying footnote in the Elvis story. My personal opinion is that she has exploited him more than anybody. Let's not forget she was his EX wife at the time he died. She was no longer a Presley. Her behaviour toward her grandchildren in recent times has been disgusting.
"Man, I just work here..."

scottwalker

Postby scottwalker » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:20 am

AndresVanKujik wrote:I won't join in the debate about the films content as I haven't seen it and have absolutely no intention to. I find Priscilla to be an annoying footnote in the Elvis story. My personal opinion is that she has exploited him more than anybody. Let's not forget she was his EX wife at the time he died. She was no longer a Presley. Her behaviour toward her grandchildren in recent times has been disgusting.

You are the umpteenth person who uses the film to express your own opinion about Priscilla in general. Which has nothing to do with the film itself. So.......your comment adds zero comma zero.

Let it be clear that I am not at all in favor of how Priscilla acted after Elvis' death, other than just opening up Graceland. The hassle with grandchildren, etc.

I largely believe what happened in the marriage between Elvis and Priscilla and also before that (1959 - 1966), which was made into a film by Coppola. And that's the point. The film. The relationship between Elvis and Priscilla. It was actually already known that Elvis had his whims.

You yourself say that you have not seen the film... why this comment? But of course, just vent about something that is not relevant.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:00 pm

Wasn't sure where to put this, so it's here.

I wasn't up-to-date on the dispute between Priscilla & her grandchildren, short of knowing it had been resolved somehow.

What happened to the accusation about a forged signature on Lisa Marie's will ?

Did Priscilla get a pay off in the agreed resolution ?

Asked 'Bard' the AI chat site & got the answers:

The Presley Estate Dispute [Bard].JPG

So there we have it.

Priscilla wasn't happy about being secretly removed, in 2016, as co-trustee of the estate, but got happier when the $1,400,000 [£1,094,646]
out-of-court payout to her was agreed.
This left granddaughter Riley Keogh as sole trustee.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:24 pm

Colin B wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this, so it's here.

I wasn't up-to-date on the dispute between Priscilla & her grandchildren, short of knowing it had been resolved somehow.

What happened to the accusation about a forged signature on Lisa Marie's will ?

Did Priscilla get a pay off in the agreed resolution ?

Asked 'Bard' the AI chat site & got the answers:

The Presley Estate Dispute [Bard].JPG
So there we have it.

Priscilla wasn't happy about being secretly removed, in 2016, as co-trustee of the estate, but got happier when the $1,400,000 [£1,094,646]
out-of-court payout to her was agreed.
This left granddaughter Riley Keogh as sole trustee.

Families, eh?

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:41 pm

John wrote:Families, eh?

We get to pick our friends, but 'families' come with the territory...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “Everything Elvis”