HEAR Elvis on WOWO radio NOW !

All the Elvis you can take

Greg1935

Re: HEAR Elvis on WOWO radio NOW !

Postby Greg1935 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:04 pm

John wrote:
Greg1935 wrote:Anthony's restoration is much better than the MRS artificial sound. And that was my initial reaction, that's not because of any agenda.

I and Keith had nothing to lose, so I put the whole recording online before the MRS release.

Mine and Keith's proper physical release of the recording which we first originally found and obtained hasn't come to reality. It's sad for me but I will live.

If you'd like to somehow financially thank us (since we got and are not getting anything in that matter) for our work, research and bringing this new recording to the lighht, or for my previous discoveries I've shared online, here is our mutual PayPal adress for this:

grzesiekboro@poczta.onet.pl

Thanks for any reward!

I will keep searching.

Greg, thanks for what you and Keith did, but I have to say I put you in touch with someone who would have done the right thing by you weeks ago. I think this shows the dangers of oversharing with people in the Elvis world.

Yup, keep searching, and good luck.

The agreement was made a long ago and somehow the producer lost his interest. I was pushing the release all the time.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:56 am

I'm guessing that Sony were offered the tape and decided that it wasnt commercially viable, or that it would need to be part of a larger project sometime in the future.

The pre orders for the overpriced, cheap looking MRS release will be flying in as we speak, and yet Sony could have done the same thing, more tastefully and at a cheaper price.

A missed opportunity...

John

Postby John » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:06 am

rockinrebel wrote:I'm guessing that Sony were offered the tape and decided that it wasnt commercially viable, or that it would need to be part of a larger project sometime in the future.

The pre orders for the overpriced, cheap looking MRS release will be flying in as we speak, and yet Sony could have done the same thing, more tastefully and at a cheaper price.

A missed opportunity...

It wasn't viable for Sony to do it.

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am

John wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:I'm guessing that Sony were offered the tape and decided that it wasnt commercially viable, or that it would need to be part of a larger project sometime in the future.

A missed opportunity...

This is what we are told, but why?

What was stopping them from doing exactly what MRS have just done?

I'm not getting the impression that people were asking silly money for this recording. Rather, just looking for the best way to make it available to the fans.

Sony can press 3 disc sets which retail for as little as £5 (The Real Elvis series for example). So, even if we discount the vinyl, a budget priced CD release was surely a possibility.

John

Postby John » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:30 am

rockinrebel wrote:
John wrote:

A missed opportunity...

I'm not getting the impression that people were asking silly money for this recording. Rather, just looking for the best way to make it available to the fans.

Sony can press 3 disc sets which retail for as little as £5 (The Real Elvis series for example). So, even if we discount the vinyl, a budget priced CD release was surely a possibility.

It wasn't worth their while. Sony is a big corporation. Something like would have to jump through several hoops to get the green light, and to release it on its own, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have had much, if any, commercial value. If they could have attached it to a larger project, and maybe they will in time, it could have happened, but as it stands, it's not worth it.

Have you heard the recording? Seriously, it's not enough to get Sony excited about Elvis. It's not enough to get me excited about Elvis.

MRS, or other small companies can turn this around quickly and cater to the market more easily. Sony is too big and clunky to do something like this.

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:54 am

Was it a Wav file in the first place or just an MP3 podcast that they had.?
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Keith

Postby Keith » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:39 pm

skabillyrebels wrote:Was it a Wav file in the first place or just an MP3 podcast that they had.?

The tape was stored on an old computer at WOWO in 128 MP3 format only. The actual tape is in the possession of Ron Ross' family but they let WOWO transfer it in 2016 for use in the 90th Anniversary broadcast.

Keith

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 pm

Cheers Keith,
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

rockinrebel

Postby rockinrebel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:01 pm

John wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
John wrote:

A missed opportunity...

It wasn't worth their while. Sony is a big corporation. Something like would have to jump through several hoops to get the green light, and to release it on its own, I'm pretty sure wouldn't have had much, if any, commercial value. If they could have attached it to a larger project, and maybe they will in time, it could have happened, but as it stands, it's not worth it.

Have you heard the recording? Seriously, it's not enough to get Sony excited about Elvis. It's not enough to get me excited about Elvis.

MRS, or other small companies can turn this around quickly and cater to the market more easily. Sony is too big and clunky to do something like this.

Again, we are often told this, and yet it is not unusual for large record companies to put out limited, niche market products. Record Store Day releases spring to mind, for example.

Yes, I've heard the recording, and whilst I find it very insightful, I agree that it has limited appeal outside of the fan base. However, given recent mainstream sales, that fan base doesn't appear to be much bigger than the core FTD audience now.

Therefore, despite the limitations of the recording, sales would most likely have been comparable, and depending on the price, possibly better to those of MRS.

Let's say 5,000 people are prepared to pay £30 each for this recording on 7" vinyl. If it was half the price - which is pretty much the going rate for mainstream releases of this kind now, or it was available on CD for less than £10, would that not have made it even more appealing to collectors?

Then factor in Sony's production costs as opposed to those of MRS. For me that seems viable, but perhaps they are only interested in selling us expensive box sets and CD / book projects now...

Topic author
Nolan Truth

Postby Nolan Truth » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm

Nolan is here, with the truth!

Return to “Everything Elvis”