Marion Keisker - "From Sun to Blue Yonder" - 1957

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Mister Moon

Marion Keisker - "From Sun to Blue Yonder" - 1957

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:22 pm

BB 570916 -.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: Marion Keisker - "From Sun to Blue Yonder" - 1957

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:50 pm

About to leave Germany for good, Sergeant Elvis Presley appears humbled and happy to meet Captain Marion Keisker, in Friedberg - Tuesday, March 1, 1960.

What a beautiful image !

600301 Friedberg Marion.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luuk

Postby Luuk » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Marion was the organizer while Sam was the creative force. She kept track of the musicians and contacted them for sessions. She kept a log of the sessions, paid the musicians and was contact person for the pressing plants and distributors.

How come for Elvis' Sun sessions we do not know for sure on which date(s) recording(s) took place if logs were kept?
Same with the missing tapes. For other artists there are loads and loads of tapes with unreleased songs and/or outtakes, while there is nothing on Elvis. Even the ones RCA Victor received are missing!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Luuk wrote:Marion was the organizer while Sam was the creative force. She kept track of the musicians and contacted them for sessions. She kept a log of the sessions, paid the musicians and was contact person for the pressing plants and distributors.

How come for Elvis' Sun sessions we do not know for sure on which date(s) recording(s) took place if logs were kept?
Same with the missing tapes. For other artists there are loads and loads of tapes with unreleased songs and/or outtakes, while there is nothing on Elvis. Even the ones RCA Victor received are missing!

I don't think a log was kept at Sun, at least during the early years, when Marion was working there.

From what I understand, she had notebooks where she kept track of payments made to musicians and similar data, but it was not an "official" log of the real sessions that took place at the studio, just an overall "guide".

Given the informal way of working at Sun, everytime Phillips released a record he registered "ghost" sessions with the American Federation of Musicians, giving dates and session personnel that were simply false, as later research has proven (not every musician working at the studio was under the AFM, so Phillips declared AFM-registered personnel only, for example).

But several early Memphis Recording Service recordings by the likes of Howlin' Wolf survived thanks to Marion's retrieving acetates thrown by Phillips in the garbage can.

Regarding missing Elvis tapes, while I do share your frustration, we have to admit that a whole lot has survived, although probably much more has gone away forever. But that's the general situation applying to other artists who recorded at Sun during 1954 and 1955. For example, some Carl Perkins outtakes are available from those years, but there are many more from 1957. Same for Johnny Cash. And for Jerry Lee Lewis alone, who was there between 1956 and 1963, a 18 CD set has been recently released by Bear Family, with over 600 tracks and almost 24 hours of recordings.

Thanks, Luuk !

Juan Luis

Postby Juan Luis » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:33 pm

I love your topics Mister Moon. Thanks!

John

Postby John » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:24 am

Mister Moon wrote:About to leave Germany for good, Sergeant Elvis Presley appears humbled and happy to meet Captain Marion Keisker, in Friedberg - Tuesday, March 1, 1960.

What a beautiful image !

You still don't sound like anyone Elvis, but they are all now trying to sound like you.

600301 Friedberg Marion.jpg

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:03 pm

When Sgt. Elvis Presley met Captain Marion (Keisker) MacInnes on March 1, 1960, Elvis told her, 'I don't know whether to kiss you or salute!' She responded, 'In that order'. She was reprimanded by an army captain for over-familiarity with a noncom. Elvis defended her and said, .."we wouldn't be having a press conference if it weren't for this lady".
ImageImage

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:50 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I love your topics Mister Moon. Thanks!

Thank you very much, Juan Luis. I do my very best. ;)

Alexander

Postby Alexander » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:52 pm

Luuk wrote:Marion was the organizer while Sam was the creative force. She kept track of the musicians and contacted them for sessions. She kept a log of the sessions, paid the musicians and was contact person for the pressing plants and distributors.

True, although ABFT shows us quite a lot of material has survived all those decades. That even the RCA Victor tapes are missing is not that surprising since some nut head decided to clear and destroy the vaults in 1959. I'd like to think that most of the Sun material has survived because it was not handed over to RCA or there was no involvement of the record company (live recordings). The Sun era is better documented if it comes to outtakes than 1956!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:09 pm

Anyone who has ever read a Sun sessions discography knows that the exact, or even approximate, recording dates for many of the sessions are unknown. This is especially true of the early years of the label, when Marion was working there.

If she had "kept a log of the sessions" that would not be the case.

Marion's job at Sun was not to note every single detail about the studio so researchers from decades later could know everything in detail. As I said above, she had notebooks where she kept track of payments to musicians, and other everyday events at the label, not necessarily session dates.

Sun archaeology has drawn from many sources over more than half a century of research. What we have now is a giant puzzle constructed from hundreds of interviews, half-erased tape box labels, haphazard paperwork, and so on.

One example that comes to mind is the exact date of Jerry Lee Lewis' first session at Sun: Wednesday, November 14, 1956. How do we know that date, when most of the dates for Lewis' early Sun sessions are only partially known ? Thanks to the receipt kept by Roland Janes, the guitar player for the date. He was paid fifteen dollars, too.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:15 am

Marion at the Sun desk, 1956 or 1957.

Behind her, Sun publicity photos of Johnny Cash, Warren Smith and Roy Orbison.

Marion.jpg

I can't resist posting again a high-quality photo I posted recently. Please note that Marion wears virtually the same hair style as in the above photo. Also, as we know the time the artists in the publicity photos started recording for the label (Smith and Orbison saw their first Sun releases in April and May 1956, respectively), we can safely assume that those two images are very near in time :

Sam Elvis Marion.jpg

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:56 pm

it was a press conference on March 1, 1960 and yet all we have is just one photo of Elvis with Marion. Maybe those reporters and photographers did not know who she was.
ImageImage

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 pm

Here's an ultra-cool find - the photo of Marion at her desk in uncropped form and much better quality, which allows us to see two more publicity shots behind her - one of Carl Perkins (right) and one I can't identify. Also, we get to see cool Sun stationery inside the typewriter. And dig those acetates at top left !

Great stuff !

Marion desk uncropped.jpg

John

Postby John » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:26 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Here's an ultra-cool find - the photo of Marion at her desk in uncropped form and much better quality, which allows us to see two more publicity shots behind her - one of Carl Perkins (right) and one I can't identify. Also, we get to see cool Sun stationery inside the typewriter. And dig those acetates at top left !

Great stuff !

Where did you find it?

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:36 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Here's an ultra-cool find - the photo of Marion at her desk in uncropped form and much better quality, which allows us to see two more publicity shots behind her - one of Carl Perkins (right) and one I can't identify. Also, we get to see cool Sun stationery inside the typewriter. And dig those acetates at top left !

Great stuff !

Where did you find it?

There's an auction site with items from Marion's personal collection. I don't know about the authenticity of the other items, so I'm reluctant to post them, but this photo is truly outstanding. The back side of the photo is also interesting, because it gives us the name of the photographer, Lloyd Shearer, and the date, 1956 (it had to be obviously from either 1956 or 1957, but now we know for sure). There's even a mention of "Ger Rijj" (sic) :

Marion desk uncropped b.jpg

Return to “Everything Elvis”