Unreleased ELVIS at PHOENIX

All the Elvis you can take

Mister Moon

Re: Question about 1958-59 "Such A Night"

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Pacer wrote:Wow....isn't there a brand new song on it (complete and in good quality) where Elvis is singing something like "won't you send me your picture "????????

I've yet to listen to these uploads, but that sounds like Little Richard's "Send Me Some Lovin'", b-side of "Lucille" in 1957.

The song was also covered by Buddy Holly, Otis Redding, John Lennon, and others.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:59 pm

This is different. Actually injects some very country like singing here ( what he rarely did).
But the guitar tape is even more mighty impressive.
Last edited by Pacer on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:08 pm

Keith wrote:Thank you Juan Luis for the downloads - Amazing, just amazing!

It appears that Ernst listed this tape (Side B Army (Guitar Reel) (reversed to play) (Max Tres 15.0 & imput -5.0).wav) in his book A Life In Music (page 117), but then later discounted it as not being Elvis singing on it. Well, it certainly sounds to be Elvis singing to me!

He Knows Just What I Need
Cool Water
His Hand In Mine
Young Love
Return To Me
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Stand By Me
Just A Closer Walk With thee
Take My Hand, Precious Lord
Oh, Lonesome Me

Also, the tape you have (Side B Army (Piano Reel) (Max Tres 15.00 Imput -5.0).wav) seems to continue on from where Reel 1 finishes, with 'Send Me Some Lovin'.

Keith

The piano song that I hear is "send me some lovin".(apology, Mr. Moon)...but it is not the version already released....but a different one, slower

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm

This is so freakin' awesome and means so much to me....
Beautiful Songs (unreleased too!!!!!!)....singing with Elvis in his prime.....

No soundboard ever could give me even 10% of the pleasure and excitement These Tapes from germany, provided by juan, are Giving me.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Juan or anybody else.....please retitle this thread into"unreleased songs ...first time on Phoenix...mystery of lost tape solved "or something.
Because this is really spectacular......unlike the laughable "mystery solved" threads on the other forum where the topic isn't at all spectacular...just hyperbole.

Please retitle it...

Tulsa Mclean

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you "Juan Luis" for sharing, very cool! 8-).

Have you contacted Ernst Jorgensen about you having the original tape and share it with him?. Maybe those FTD engineers could do some work to have this in better Audio Fidelity on the bad parts.
Last edited by Tulsa Mclean on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Juan this is amazing stuff. Thank you so much. Where did you aquire these recordings?

Johnny2523

Postby Johnny2523 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:39 pm

spectecular juan luis.. ''Like A Baby'' while short is awesome

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:47 pm

Tulsa Mclean wrote:Thank you "Juan Luis" for sharing, very cool! 8-).

Have you contacted Ernst Jorgensen about you having the original tape and share it with him?. Maybe those FTD engineers could do some work to have this in better Audio Fidelity on the bad parts.

The Guitar tape especially is in way better sound that most what rca or Ftd did put out so far.

Like a baby, ...thats fuckin 'blues......not that watered down and in bad voice renditions live from 1972 or 1976.
Man, that Elvis in 1958 and 1959 blows the late one out of the water.

Hopefully I am not the only one excited...
I mean ,he sings here songs we never heard before from him.(fuck Elvis on tour or 1977 in concert)...often the lead vocal....plays guitar and that in a sound which is on par with the guitar tapes released from the....in a marvelous voice with phrasing that are out of this world.
Listen to his hand in mine....when he goes operatic..or the dirty low down bluesy like a baby.

Ps:on some songs it is clearly Elvis on guitar.....but on the last one (oh lonesome me) i have my doubts.....doesn't sound like his usual limited guitar playing. (Who is that awful high voice on "stand by me".....not so great..but the other songs are cool. )
Are you lonesome tonight complete with the complete spoken bridge...fabulous.
"I can't help it "with an unreleased never heard verse ( I guess rca spliced it to the short version on platinum).

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:43 pm

I still need listen to these tapes thoroughly but I'm almost speechless so far.

The unheard tape has many priceless highlights. We get to hear Elvis singing a bit of "Return To Me", a song Dean Martin recorded for Capitol in January 1958 that would reach number 4 in "The Billboard" 's Hot 100 later that same year.

We also have a rendition of "Her Hand In Mine", a telling lyric change, perhaps - I hate playing amateur psychologist, sorry.

And a mention to legendary Nashville steel guitar player Jerry Byrd, and to Jerry Lee Lewis.

Looking forward to listen in detail to all three uploads.

Thanks a million, Juan Luis. You are a cool guy.

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:20 pm

I will be looking how carpenter on the other forum put it down or try to put it under the rug so nobody takes notice of this amazing find , this time he can't present this again like his own find like he did with the footage of the interview on the train from 1958 ("a friend send me... "and than erasing all posts were it was written that it was found on phoenix).
Given his insubstantial "mystery solved "threads about minor things like a photo and his daydreaming what they meant and blow them up like something really special....he must getting green inside because of envy.
If he found this, not Juan, he would have presented this tape like he discovered Elvis himself in 1954.
It won't be even a sticky there, cause it's not from carpenter (like the boring one from him with a pic with Pat Boone,that stayed there for months as a sticky) Pathetic, if this won't be a sticky there and telling.
Enough of that.

Ps: I don't know why Ernst Joergensen didn't recognise Elvis here as the singer if he heard the tape like he claimed.
It's so obvious on most tracks (on some, like "oh lonesome me" somebody else might have the lead part ...but on most it's clearly Elvis singing not only the lead but also singing alone...like on those beautiful versions of "his hand in mine"(yes,several complete versions ). I really don't understand that he didn't recognized Elvis.
Kudos again for Juan Luis.
Others would only have sold it to the bootleggers first and made a bootleg from it.(which may happen).

The new piano rendition of "send me some lovin'" sounds even more passionate and better sung than the one released before on ftd.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:06 pm

OMG - what a way to wake up, my heart is singing, lol.

Thanks Juan.

:D :D :D

Wow.

:D :D :D Elvis' voice is crystal clear, he is happy, there is so much beautiful tone and timbre to his voice, goodness, makes one's heart clench, all live and relaxed and spectacular.

Elvis is singing "Danny Boy" as I am writing :D :D :D

Tulsa Mclean

Postby Tulsa Mclean » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Hopefully Juan Luis makes a deal with FTD. This way they could make a special FTD 2/3 cd release and called it: The Complete Germany Home Recordings! 8-).
Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:10 pm

OMG Juan - I know what I am doing today, lol lol lol lol

Fabulous, I am laughing with pleasure, thank you.

merry77

Postby merry77 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm

I have only just quickly browsed through the files. But man this is great!
Juan Thank you so much.

Did you guys also spot that short piece of "Working on the building" During He knows just what I need?

TonyS) where is that loving you that you mentioned which was edited? Can't find that yet.
Last edited by merry77 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Elvis”