"Million Dollar Quartet" - 1956

All the Elvis you can take

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: "Million Dollar Quartet" - 1956

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:33 am

You got to walk and talk with God to go to Heaven. You’ve got to be so good.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Mister Moon wrote:You got to walk and talk with God to go to Heaven. You’ve got to be so good.

Walking with & talking to someone in order to go to some place is not easy when neither exists...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:51 pm

Colin B wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:You got to walk and talk with God to go to Heaven. You’ve got to be so good.

Walking with & talking to someone in order to go to a place is not easy when neither exists...

Don't tell me. Tell Jerry Lee, who spoke the above quote during the famous "religious discussion" with Sam Phillips in 1958.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Colin B wrote:Walking with & talking to someone in order to go to a place is not easy when neither exists...
Mister Moon wrote:Don't tell me. Tell Jerry Lee, who spoke the above quote during the famous "religious discussion" with Sam Phillips in 1958.

I wasn't aiming the comment at you or Jerry Lee !

Just pointing out a truth for everyone...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Colin B wrote:

Colin B wrote:Walking with & talking to someone in order to go to a place is not easy when neither exists...
Mister Moon wrote:Don't tell me. Tell Jerry Lee, who spoke the above quote during the famous "religious discussion" with Sam Phillips in 1958.

I wasn't aiming the comment at you or Jerry Lee !

Just pointing out a truth for everyone...

Right. It wasn't 1958, but 1957. ;)

Ben

Postby Ben » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:04 am

I listened to the MDQ on Friday. It's priceless stuff.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:44 pm

Ben wrote:I listened to the MDQ on Friday. It's priceless stuff.

It's a landmark recording, no doubt.

It was mind-blowing to listen to it for the first time, after having looked at that photo so often, wondering how it would have been. We listened to it so many times that we even knew the dialogues by heart. And I clearly remember being in the middle of a non-musical conversation with my buddies and hear myself suddenly singing, with a loud nasal voice, "I'm With A Crowd But Oh So Alone". Real crazy stuff. When the complete session was finally made available from first generation tapes, it was like a dream come true.

Somebody, maybe Greil Marcus, said the session wasn't as cataclysmic as we all expected, meaning that no rock and roll (at least in the album's first incarnation) was featured, and they spent almost the entire session singing spirituals and hillbilly music. I feel the opposite it's true. As it is, we are given the opportunity to look at those men's musical roots - roots that were obviously and clearly shared, as they were able to sing all those songs completely unrehearsed. What could have been more cataclysmic than that ?

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:27 pm

65 years ago today.

Jesswade

Postby Jesswade » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Mister Moon wrote:65 years ago today.

What a day.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:40 pm

Jesswade wrote:

What a day.

Yes, it's in my time machine Top Ten.

Jesswade

Postby Jesswade » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Jesswade wrote:

What a day.

I love the moment elvis says that the wrong man been sitting at the piano and jll goes, that's what I've been trying to tell you all along. :D Jerry lee has always been an exceptional artist in my view. I love his music. From his sun days until now. The only one outside Elvis who could sing anything.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:17 pm

Jesswade wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Jesswade wrote:

What a day.

I love the moment elvis says that the wrong man been sitting at the piano and jll goes, that's what I've been trying to tell you all along. :D Jerry lee has always been an exceptional artist in my view. I love his music. From his sun days until now. The only one outside Elvis who could sing anything.

He is an exceptional artist indeed, one-of-a-kind. Like some of his contemporaries, including of course Elvis, he was one of the greatest rock and rollers, but rock and roll alone couldn't hold all of his musical genius. I recently got a copy of Bear Family's 18 CD set which includes all the surviving stuff he did for Sun between 1956 and 1963 and it's a truly astonishing document. He could touch anything, and everything carried his own stamp. But, as you suggest, there's so much great JLL material beyond his Sun days.

I'm glad I saw him in concert in 1985. Not one of his best nights, but just seeing him there and a handful of great flashes was more than worth any price of admission.

Here's the nearly complete footage for that concert (only "Chantiilly Lace" is missing, although we see the intro) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPedo6EAxY

John

Postby John » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:22 pm

Jesswade wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Jesswade wrote:

What a day.

I also like JLL, but I don't think it's true that a) he could sing anything and b) he was the only one. Tom Jones could sing anything.

Jesswade

Postby Jesswade » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:34 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Jesswade wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Jesswade wrote:

What a day.

He is an exceptional artist indeed, one-of-a-kind. Like some of his contemporaries, including of course Elvis, he was one of the greatest rock and rollers, but rock and roll alone couldn't hold all of his musical genius. I recently got a copy of Bear Family's 18 CD set which includes all the surviving stuff he did for Sun between 1956 and 1963 and it's a truly astonishing document. He could touch anything, and everything carried his own stamp. But, as you suggest, there's so much great JLL material beyond his Sun days.

I'm glad I saw him in concert in 1985. Not one of his best nights, but just seeing him there and a handful of great flashes was more than worth any price of admission.

Here's the nearly complete footage for that concert (only "Chantiilly Lace" is missing, although we see the intro) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRPedo6EAxY

I 've seen him live after the last man standing release, well he really looked like an old man, but I'm glad I did, he shuffled out on stage but those fingers still did the job. Look up live version 1983 of me and Bobby Mcgee London, on YouTube. That's what music is all about, singing his heart out, and playing a kick ass piano solo and he damn well knew it. :D

Jesswade

Postby Jesswade » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:42 pm

John wrote:
Jesswade wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Jesswade wrote:

What a day.

I also like JLL, but I don't think it's true that a) he could sing anything and b) he was the only one. Tom Jones could sing anything.

Not the only one there is elvis(nr 1).And with everything I mean gospel, rnr, country, pop. Have to disagree on jll, but you are right about Jones, another exceptional singer although I don't know his music as well as elvis and jll. Another interesting discussion is beginning to unfold here. :D

Return to “Everything Elvis”