Early morning rain

Topic author
colonel snow

Early morning rain

Postby colonel snow » Sun May 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
colonel snow

Re: Early morning rain

Postby colonel snow » Sun May 05, 2019 3:05 pm

More in the next post.

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suspicious Minds

Re: Early morning rain

Postby Suspicious Minds » Tue May 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Lightfoot released ‘Early Morning Rain’ on his 1966 debut album Lightfoot!

In an interview Lightfoot tells the story behind the song:

GORDON LIGHTFOOT: Extended Interview
Written By Matt Fink
January 1, 2008

What was the inspiration for “Early Morning Rain?”

It sort of took me back to Westlake. I got homesick out there a few times, and I remember I was going out to the airport, and it was a rainy day, and there was a place you could watch the approach of the airplanes. They were actually coming in where I was standing, and I could see them leaving on the other runway right over on the other side. And I was inspired right there with that imagery of an airplane climbing off into overcast, and then I recreated that around 1964, about five years later. So that was an image that stayed there for five years, and all of a sudden it emerged in one afternoon when I was babysitting my five-month-old first child. And I said, “I’ll put him over here in his crib, and I’ll write myself a tune.” I have done that a few times (laughs). And that’s what came out, and I said, “That’s fine, and I’ll send that off to the guys in New York and see what they say.” And they called me right back and said, “Geez, Gordon. This one is great! It’s a lot better than the other 19 you sent us three months ago, because none of them were any good.” I was starting to catch on. That was right around the time I started listening to Bob Dylan, and I started getting a more direct approach, getting away from the love songs and getting a little more down to earth. Or up in the sky, whichever.

Source: https://americansongwriter.com/2008/01/ ... interview/

Here’s a clip of the original:

https://youtu.be/1pqttl9aWm0
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Return to “First In Line A-F”