I gotta know

Topic author
colonel snow

I gotta know

Postby colonel snow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Deleted due to doubts about the information.

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John

Re: I gotta know

Postby John » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:01 pm

I remember hearing this and Elvis' version at the same time. I was sitting on a wall in Nairobi town centre listening to my transistor radio and the DJ played both versions. I've always liked Cliff's version.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:17 pm

Elvis' version is sensational. That interplay with Gordon Stoker on the bridges and Ray Walker on the verses is just priceless. And the master was take 2 - the first take was just a very short false start, with no vocals.

I discovered Cliff's original shortly after having heard Elvis' version, and for many years I thought it was Richard who was doing a cover.

By the way, I'm no Richard fan, or fan of any European rocker for that matter, but the original of "I Gotta Know", the mono version, is a great recording. Here's the 1960 Spanish EP that introduced me to it :

Cliff EP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:38 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Elvis' version is sensational. That interplay with Gordon Stoker on the bridges and Ray Walker on the verses is just priceless. And the master was take 2 - the first take was just a very short false start, with no vocals.

The harmony is terrific.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:08 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Elvis' version is sensational. That interplay with Gordon Stoker on the bridges and Ray Walker on the verses is just priceless. And the master was take 2 - the first take was just a very short false start, with no vocals.

The harmony is terrific.

Yes it is. A wonderful recording. And that was a b-side.

I just have listened to it once again, with headphones, and there are so many cool details here and there, starting with Boots Randolph subtle punctuations on the right channel. During the fade-out, sung entirely by The Jordanaires, Elvis mischievously sneaks a "gotta know, gotta know" line sung as a bassman :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhLPppPNkAI

Something about Cliff Richard's original - as I mentioned above, I've always liked the original mono version, which has a more natural delivery from both Richard and The Shadows, and that almost skiffle-like feel. By comparison, the stereo version is too contrived, and in places sounds like a bad outtake. But listening again to both recordings by Richard, I have realized that the mono version starts, like Elvis' cover, with the line "get up in the morning", while the stereo one has "wake up in the morning", so I guess Elvis must have heard that one, unless he was strictly working from sheet music, which I doubt.

YouTube uploaders seem to favour the stereo one, but I have found this aveerage sounding upload of the mono reccrding, which after all is the original :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNFUKvUFh2g

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Not that keen on this song. Like Mister Moon, i always thought Cliffs was a cover from Elvis.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:15 pm

Shoo-be-doo-be-dah-dah...

Return to “First In Line G-L”