Pieces of my life

Topic author
colonel snow

Pieces of my life

Postby colonel snow » Tue May 07, 2019 3:42 pm

deleted - due to doubts about this post

colonel snow
Last edited by colonel snow on Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Suspicious Minds

Re: Pieces of my life

Postby Suspicious Minds » Wed May 15, 2019 6:29 am

Thank you.

The song was written by Troy Seals, who also wrote Honky Tonk Angel. I can’t find any recording info either. Is it possible that he recorded the song, but that it wasn’t released? Or did he just write the song, and didn’t record it?

Charlie Rich recorded his version in September 1974, it was released on his album The Silver Fox in November 1974.

https://youtu.be/RwBQOu_R0zk

Interestingly, Johnny Darrell recorded his version earlier than Charlie Rich, in June 1974, but it was released later, on his 1975 album Waterglass Full Of Whiskey.

https://youtu.be/t8B2TpFD1Y4

A bit more about Troy Seals:

Troy Seals
INDUCTION YEAR: 1988

Birth Name: Troy Edward Seals
Birth Date: 11-16-1938
Place of Birth: Bighill, Kentucky
Troy Seals was among the predominant songwriters of Nashville's 1970s and '80s, scoring dozens of hits including "Lost in the Fifties Tonight (In the Still of the Night)," "Seven Spanish Angels," "Don't Take It Away" and "Maybe Your Baby's Got the Blues." His first major contribution, "We Had It All," was never a chart smash but has become a standard; it was first recorded by Waylon Jennings, and it has since been covered by Ray Charles, the Rolling Stones, Dolly Parton, Conway Twitty and many more.

Born in Bighill, Kentucky, Seals is a member of a talented extended family that includes country hit-maker Dan Seals, Seals & Croft member Jim Seals and Little Texas member Brady Seals. In the late 1950s, he began performing with a band billed as Troy Seals & the Earthquakes. The group backed early rock & rollers including Conway Twitty, who later became a friend and mentor.

Seals released pop singles with wife Jo Ann Campbell as Joe Ann & Troy in the 1960s, and he worked construction in Indianapolis to pay the bills. In 1969, he and Campbell moved to Nashville, where Seals took work as a session guitarist and as a more musical construction worker: he built Quadraphonic Studios for David Briggs and Norbert Putnam. Quadraphonic would be the studio where Dobie Gray, Dan Fogelberg, Neil Young and many more recorded. Written with Donnie Fritz, "We Had It All" became a key part of Waylon Jennings' much-lauded Honky Tonk Heroes album. Then, in 1974, Conway Twitty scored a #1 hit with Seals' "There's a Honky Tonk Angel Who'll Take Me Back In," a song that would later be a posthumous hit for Elvis Presley.

Seals went on a run that included several Twitty smashes and a Top 20 pop hit for Eric Clapton in 1983 with "I've Got a Rock and Roll Heart." In 1985, Seals' "Seven Spanish Angels" became a chart-topper for the duo of Ray Charles and Willie Nelson, and a year later Seals' "Lost in the Fifties Tonight (In the Still of the Night)" was ASCAP's Country Song of the Year, and Seals was named ASCAP's Country Songwriter of the Year. Seals notched a total of nine #1 hits in the 1980s, and he scored other significant hits for artists including Charley Pride, Ronnie McDowell, George Jones, Lee Greenwood and Reba McEntire. He was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1988.

http://nashvillesongwritersfoundation.c ... ry_id=2814
Don't take yourself too seriously ;-)

Return to “First In Line M-S”