Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: British Orange Label 45's

Postby TonyS » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:46 pm

John wrote:
TonyS wrote:A rare orange label UK 45.

image.jpeg

What's on there, the Sound of Silence?

It's a good job I understand what's in the run off groove, it would be T.R.O.U.B.L.E otherwise.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:02 pm

It's sad to think that Alan White (Nosmo Claphanger on Facebook) who was an expert on British releases suddenly died a while back. He was the author of two books: HMV discography and RCA discography. His two books are well worth getting and would probably answer a lot of questions in this thread.

At the time of his death he was working on a third book. From what I understand (from a private message he sent me) it included a list of fake HMVs - particularly white label ones.

RIP Alan.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Alan White's two books:

facebook_1612718224772_6764230501036373807.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:28 am

Ben wrote:Tony, could you post a photo of your Elvis vinyl collection please? Are they all on shelves or tucked away in boxes?

Mine are neatly shelved:

Carer with Albums [Red].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Mojo Filter wrote:It's sad to think that Alan White (Nosmo Claphanger on Facebook) who was an expert on British releases suddenly died a while back. He was the author of two books: HMV discography and RCA discography. His two books are well worth getting and would probably answer a lot of questions in this thread.

At the time of his death he was working on a third book. From what I understand (from a private message he sent me) it included a list of fake HMVs - particularly white label ones.

RIP Alan.

He was always good to me, sending me info on things I posted in his HMV Facebook group at the time. In return I sent him some business when a friend of mine was looking for a particular HMV release.
We never met in person but communicated often, it was Alan that made me aware of the value of many things in my collection.
Sadly I'll never be able to buy him the drink I promised him.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:05 pm

TonyS wrote:
Mojo Filter wrote:It's sad to think that Alan White (Nosmo Claphanger on Facebook) who was an expert on British releases suddenly died a while back. He was the author of two books: HMV discography and RCA discography. His two books are well worth getting and would probably answer a lot of questions in this thread.

RIP Alan.

He was always good to me, sending me info on things I posted in his HMV Facebook group at the time. In return I sent him some business when a friend of mine was looking for a particular HMV release.
We never met in person but communicated often, it was Alan that made me aware of the value of many things in my collection.
Sadly I'll never be able to buy him the drink I promised him.

Same here. I never met him but he was always kind and helpful to me. We would message each other quite often and I really did want to meet him and I would have done at some point. He did have a table at the Elvis fair in Great Portland Street which is probably where I would have met him eventually.

I ask him if he could keep an eye out for the 1956 NME advertisement for HMV "Heartbreak Hotel". He said he'll try and find one for me. But sadly it didn't happen because of this terrible circumstances. That's the kind of guy he was always helping people out. He even sent a couple of records to a friend of mine for free when he was getting chemotherapy treatment for cancer (luckily my friend beat cancer and is still with us) to cheer him up.

Return to “The Vinyl Countdown”