"Discovering Carl Perkins - Eastview, Tennessee 1952 - 53"

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Mister Moon

"Discovering Carl Perkins - Eastview, Tennessee 1952 - 53"

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Truly mindblowing release from Bear Family - available October 4, 2019 (maybe this should be under "Everything Elvis" ?) :

Early Carl 1.jpg

Early Carl 2.jpg

Early Carl 3.jpg

Carl Perkins, one of the founding fathers of rock & roll, began his legendary recording career for Sun Records in 1954. After two fairly undistinguished hillbilly outings, he created Blue Suede Shoes, which changed the face of American popular music. It was the first song to top all three charts at once: pop, hillbilly and R&B.

Producer and music historian, Shawn Pitts and Hank Davis just made a startling discovery that will rewrite rockabilly history. Carl Perkins recorded at least two years earlier in a small studio in rural Tennessee. Those records make it clear that he was far from the clueless hillbilly who had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the rockabilly revolution. In fact, one of the four songs he recorded was Good Rocking Tonight, perhaps two years earlier than Elvis Presley cut it at Sun!

In October 2019 Bear Family Records will release ’Discovering Carl Perkins’. It contains for the first time anywhere, these historic, unreleased recordings -- complete and remastered for the best possible sound -- along with several rare outtakes from Carl´s earliest Sun period (first time on vinyl). They will appear on a ten-inch LP that includes previously unseen vintage photographs and detailed liner notes about the music, and how the local culture gave rise to these historic, one-of-a-kind recordings. It´s quite a landmark event for those interested in early rock & roll history, Sun Records, Carl Perkins and the birth of rockabilly.

Side A
1. Good Rockin’ Tonight (released for the very first time!)
2. There’s Been A Change in Me (released for the very first time!)
3. Drinking Wine Spo-Dee O-Dee (released for the very first time!)
4. Devil’s Dream (released for the very first time!)

Side B
1. Gone Gone Gone (orig unissued- alt 1)
2. What You Doing When You’re Crying (orig uniss-vers 1)
3. You Can’t Make Love To Somebody (orig uniss-vers 5)
4. Sure To Fall (Sun 235-orig unissued-alt 1)
Bonus track:
5. Perkins Wiggle / Dixie Bop (orig uniss - vers 1)

https://www.bear-family.com/perkins-carl-discovering-carl-perkins-eastview-tennesse-1952-53-lp-10inch-and-cd.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

John

Re: "Discovering Carl Perkins - Eastview, Tennessee 1952 - 53"

Postby John » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:21 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Truly mindblowing release from Bear Family - available October 4, 2019 (maybe this should be under "Everything Elvis" ? :

Side A
1. Good Rockin’ Tonight (released for the very first time!)
2. There’s Been A Change in Me (released for the very first time!)
3. Drinking Wine Spo-Dee O-Dee (released for the very first time!)
4. Devil’s Dream (released for the very first time!)

Side B
1. Gone Gone Gone (orig unissued- alt 1)
2. What You Doing When You’re Crying (orig uniss-vers 1)
3. You Can’t Make Love To Somebody (orig uniss-vers 5)
4. Sure To Fall (Sun 235-orig unissued-alt 1)
Bonus track:
5. Perkins Wiggle / Dixie Bop (orig uniss - vers 1)[/b]

Whilst I'm not a huge Perkins fan, I can see something like this is hugely exciting for Perkins and for rock'n'roll fans. How come these were not generally known about? As far as I know, Carl never mentioned them. It also shows that there is always hope that undiscovered recordings will come to light.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:50 pm

John wrote:Whilst I'm not a huge Perkins fan, I can see something like this is hugely exciting for Perkins and for rock'n'roll fans. How come these were not generally known about? As far as I know, Carl never mentioned them. It also shows that there is always hope that undiscovered recordings will come to light.

Already ordered my copy.

You are right. This stuff has never been mentioned anywhere, as far as I know. I'm sure the story about the recordings and their discovery, if included, will be almost as exciting as the music itself. Some samples are included in the BF site and, while they don't appear to be cataclysmic material, it's just fascinating to listen to them.

As you say, this shows there's always hope for undiscovered material to surface.

Let's pray for more early stuff by Elvis to appear while we still are here. Amen.

John

Postby John » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:Whilst I'm not a huge Perkins fan, I can see something like this is hugely exciting for Perkins and for rock'n'roll fans. How come these were not generally known about? As far as I know, Carl never mentioned them. It also shows that there is always hope that undiscovered recordings will come to light.

Already ordered my copy.

You are right. This stuff has never been mentioned anywhere, as far as I know. I'm sure the story about the recordings and their discovery, if included, will be almost as exciting as the music itself. Some samples are included in the BF site and, while they don't appear to be cataclysmic material, it's just fascinating to listen to them.

As you say, this shows there's always hope for undiscovered material to surface.

Let's pray for more early stuff by Elvis to appear while we still are here. Amen.

I've had a quick listen to the sample tracks. They're more in the Hank Williams mould than the rock'n'roll one. Fascinating.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Already ordered my copy.

I've had a quick listen to the sample tracks. They're more in the Hank Williams mould than the rock'n'roll one. Fascinating.

Yes, I agree.

It seems the story has been around for almost two years. Here's an extract of an essay (the full thing can't be obtained online, it seems) published in the winter of 2017 by music historian Shawn Pitts, who is also one of the producers of this release, and the author of the booklet's notes :

http://www.southerncultures.org/article/discovering-carl/

John

Postby John » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Already ordered my copy.

Yes, I agree.

It seems the story has been around for almost two years. Here's an extract of an essay (the full thing can't be obtained online, it seems) published in the winter of 2017 by music historian Shawn Pitts, who is also one of the producers of this release, and the author of the booklet's notes :

http://www.southerncultures.org/article/discovering-carl/

What am amazing story. It reminds me of many years ago when I and my wife went to lunch at La Colombe D'or restaurant in Saint-Paul-de-Vence in Provence. It was fascinating.

"What a story! In 1920 local farmer Paul Roux opened a café-bar in the tiny village of Saint Paul and later added three rooms above. During WWII painters and the literati sought refuge on the Riviera. Many rocked up at La Colombe d’Or where they paid for their accommodation with paintings – the beginning of what is today an extraordinary collection of works by iconic masters like Matisse, Picasso, Léger, Braque and Chagall. The casualness with which this art is hung all over the place – in bedrooms, the dining room and so on – is even more extraordinary."

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:14 am

Bear Family Records wrote:In October 2019 Bear Family Records will release ’Discovering Carl Perkins’. It contains for the first time anywhere, these historic, unreleased recordings -- complete and remastered for the best possible sound -- along with several rare outtakes from Carl´s earliest Sun period (first time on vinyl). They will appear on a ten-inch LP that includes previously unseen vintage photographs and detailed liner notes about the music, and how the local culture gave rise to these historic, one-of-a-kind recordings. It´s quite a landmark event for those interested in early rock & roll history, Sun Records, Carl Perkins and the birth of rockabilly.

Listening closely to the samples on the BF site, it turns out that at least a couple of the bonus Sun tracks included here are not new to vinyl.

That take of "What Ya Doin' When You're Cryin'" was first released here on vinyl (1988) :

https://www.discogs.com/Carl-Perkins-Honky-Tonk-Gal-Rare-And-Unissued-Sun-Masters/release/2902556

That take of "Gone, Gone, Gone" was first released on vinyl circa 1990 on the Spanish release of "The Sun Years" Perkins box-set. Sorry, I can't find an online image to post.

Useless post of the month. ;)

John

Postby John » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 am

Mister Moon wrote:
That take of "Gone, Gone, Gone" was first released on vinyl circa 1990 on the Spanish release of "The Sun Years" Perkins box-set. Sorry, I can't find an online image to post.

Colin will send you to your room and make you listen to McFly for hours on end.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:57 am

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Who is McFly ?

John

Postby John » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:21 am

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Who is McFly ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76uVRSJ5bc

They were my younger daughter's favourite when she was little. A good little pop band, still going, but I imagine would be unacceptable to a rock 'n' roll fan.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:23 am

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Who is McFly ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76uVRSJ5bc

They were my younger daughter's favourite when she was little. A good little pop band, still going, but I imagine would be unacceptable to a rock 'n' roll fan.

Thank you, John.

Never heard of them before, but I'm sure there are far worse things than that.

Rock and roll is a river of music, you know. ;)

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:49 am

These recordings are a real amazing find. Just love them. I've only heard snippets of them but it just blew me away!

Can't wait to get my mitts on this release.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 pm

22 days left !

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:34 pm

4 days left !

This will be out next Friday. I hope to receive it next week.

I will post a review, complete with my own photos of the package, as soon as I can.

This is exciting. I never thought I would listen to new Perkins stuff from his early days.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:09 pm

This message arrived today :

Bear Family Records wrote:Dear Mister Moon,

Thank you for your order no. xxxxx.

We have good news for you - your order of 02.08.2019 has been recently shipped to Moonland. Your package has been handed over to our shipment service provider on 01.10.2019 and you will surely receive it soon!

Return to “Off Topic”