The Beatles - "Misery" (excerpt of demo version, early 1963)

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Mister Moon

The Beatles - "Misery" (excerpt of demo version, early 1963)

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:44 pm

Amazing item, apparently unheard until now. The song was written for Helen Shapiro (notice different lyrics here), but in the end it was used by The Beatles themselves for their debut album, and it was covered by Kenny Lynch at roughly the same time - the first ever Beatles cover :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHSdKKMOJc
Misery (Demo Acetate Cavern Club Rehearsal Recently Found.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reg

Re: The Beatles - "Misery" (excerpt of demo version, early 1963)

Postby reg » Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:06 am

been a rumor for a long time it was like this

John

Postby John » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:28 am

Mister Moon wrote:Amazing item, apparently unheard until now. The song was written for Helen Shapiro (notice different lyrics here), but in the end it was used by The Beatles themselves for their debut album, and it was covered by Kenny Lynch at roughly the same time - the first ever Beatles cover :

Amazing. There's always hope these things will turn up.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:04 pm

John wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Amazing item, apparently unheard until now. The song was written for Helen Shapiro (notice different lyrics here), but in the end it was used by The Beatles themselves for their debut album, and it was covered by Kenny Lynch at roughly the same time - the first ever Beatles cover :

Great stuff indeed. I would like to have an official release filled with this kind of obscure material. I loved the first volume of the "Anthology" albums, with that selection of amateur recordings, alternate takes, and live tracks. But that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, the Star-Club material from December 1962 should get an official release once and for all, but I doubt it will ever happen. I can't imagine those fancy engineers wrestling with those raw rock and roll recordings. Oh well.

javilu

Postby javilu » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:16 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

Great stuff indeed. I would like to have an official release filled with this kind of obscure material. I loved the first volume of the "Anthology" albums, with that selection of amateur recordings, alternate takes, and live tracks. But that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, the Star-Club material from December 1962 should get an official release once and for all, but I doubt it will ever happen. I can't imagine those fancy engineers wrestling with those raw rock and roll recordings. Oh well.

There's the new Beatle project to be released before the end of the year which will include the finished track that was to appear on "Anthology 3" but vetoed by Harrison -we assume it to be Now and Then-.

John

Postby John » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:39 pm

javilu wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

There's the new Beatle project to be released before the end of the year which will include the finished track that was to appear on "Anthology 3" but vetoed by Harrison -we assume it to be Now and Then-.

Yes, Macca spoke about it on the news here. They're using AI to do it apparently.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... e-using-ai

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:18 pm

John wrote:
javilu wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
John wrote:

Yes, Macca spoke about it on the news here. They're using AI to do it apparently.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... e-using-ai

I believe they are taking things too far this time. "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" were ok as a bonus within the "Anthology" project, which was outstanding all by itself.

But we are now in 2023. Lennon has been dead for over 40 years (more time than he was alive), and Harrison has been dead for over 20 years. The Beatles broke up over half a century ago. So, I don't believe this rehashing of a long forgotten Lennon home recording makes any sense at all right now. Of course, it will be a huge seller, and McCartney will appear everywhere talking about it. He is a bit a male Priscilla Beaulieu when he gets in this mode, man.

Personally, I will wait for the deluxe editions of the first three albums, which will probably happen within the next few years. I know asking for the Star-Club material in legitimate format is a bit too much, but it shouldn't, really. It would make more sense than tampering with a damn home demo, the way I see it.

Other mind-blowing projects could be box-sets of combined audio and video of the landmark 1964 Washington and 1965 New York concerts. I would happily buy that.

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:08 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I believe they are taking things too far this time. "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" were ok as a bonus within the "Anthology" project, which was outstanding all by itself.

I think this recording is much too important to disregard as "taking things too far".

It is the last song that the Threetles -Paul, George & Ringo- worked on with a Lennon demo.

It was discarded because in the 1990s the tech wasn't there yet to properly clean the tape and George called the recordings "rubbish".

Now with the AI tech Peter Jackson used for "Get Back" -he converted a mono recording into a 6 channel surround mix managing to separate all instruments and voices- they were able to properly clean Lennon's voice and detach it from the original piano, vocals & artifacts demo. Hopefully there will be new mixes for "real Love" and Free as a Bird" as well for there is room for improvement in making John's voice sound like part of the recording instead of flown in from a 1970s home recorded cassette tape.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:24 pm

javilu wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I believe they are taking things too far this time. "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" were ok as a bonus within the "Anthology" project, which was outstanding all by itself.

I think this recording is much too important to disregard as "taking things too far".

It is the last song that the Threetles -Paul, George & Ringo- worked on with a Lennon demo.

It was discarded because in the 1990s the tech wasn't there yet to properly clean the tape and George called the recordings "rubbish".

Now with the AI tech Peter Jackson used for "Get Back" -he converted a mono recording into a 6 channel surround mix managing to separate all instruments and voices- they were able to properly clean Lennon's voice and detach it from the original piano, vocals & artifacts demo. Hopefully there will be new mixes for "real Love" and Free as a Bird" as well for there is room for improvement in making John's voice sound like part of the recording instead of flown in from a 1970s home recorded cassette tape.

I see what you mean, Javi. But I still feel that the formula is wasted now. Almost three decades have passed since "Anthology". Even taking into account the new technology available now, this feels like an old joke to me. I would rather concentrate on the real thing, so to speak. But, anyway, let's wait and see what the entire project is really like. Maybe it implies other interesting (to me) aspects as well.

javilu

Postby javilu » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:53 pm

Mister Moon wrote:I see what you mean, Javi. But I still feel that the formula is wasted now. Almost three decades have passed since "Anthology". Even taking into account the new technology available now, this feels like an old joke to me. I would rather concentrate on the real thing, so to speak. But, anyway, let's wait and see what the entire project is really like. Maybe it implies other interesting (to me) aspects as well.

I am pretty sure most Beatles fans are looking forward to see what the boys came up with for the Lennon demo. Hopefully it will also mean a restoration of Anthology for the first time on Blu-Ray.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:56 pm

javilu wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:I see what you mean, Javi. But I still feel that the formula is wasted now. Almost three decades have passed since "Anthology". Even taking into account the new technology available now, this feels like an old joke to me. I would rather concentrate on the real thing, so to speak. But, anyway, let's wait and see what the entire project is really like. Maybe it implies other interesting (to me) aspects as well.

I am pretty sure most Beatles fans are looking forward to see what the boys came up with for the Lennon demo. Hopefully it will also mean a restoration of Anthology for the first time on Blu-Ray.

Hey, I'm in the minority then, ha ha.

I'm pretty proud of my "Anthology" DVDs. I would rather buy some "new" stuff, like I mentioned earlier. But let's see what happens, anyway.

Saludos cordiales desde Catalunya !

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:04 pm

Pretty cool version by The Flamin' Groovies, 1976.

I had the pleasure of seeing Chris Wilson at a solo concert about 30 years ago. It was just him on acoustic guitar and an electric bass player on stage, and the audience was maybe 25 people. The concert lasted for maybe two hours, and one of the highlights was Wilson's tremendous version of "Dust My Broom". Mmmm, good times :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u18SrLYE8Y

javilu

Postby javilu » Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:23 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Pretty cool version by The Flamin' Groovies, 1976.

I had the pleasure of seeing Chris Wilson at a solo concert about 30 years ago. It was just him on acoustic guitar and an electric bass player on stage, and the audience was maybe 25 people. The concert lasted for maybe two hours, and one of the highlights was Wilson's tremendous version of "Dust My Broom". Mmmm, good times :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u18SrLYE8Y

The Flaming Groovies' 1976 album Shake Some Action is probably the best tribute to Merseybeat music released during the 1970s.

STEVE MORSE

Postby STEVE MORSE » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:11 pm

John wrote:

Like "Tiger Man" (Sun), you mean ?

John

Postby John » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:32 pm

STEVE MORSE wrote:
John wrote:

Like "Tiger Man" (Sun), you mean ?

Nah, what I want is Feelings (there's a joke there somewhere).

Return to “Off Topic”