Laptop trouble (and how to get on with it)

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Yin Yang

Laptop trouble (and how to get on with it)

Postby Yin Yang » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 am

Since I bought a new laptop I wanted to give the old one to my sister as she burns CD=R's for in the car and her computer has no CD-burner while my old laptop has.
So I figured out how to restore to standard configuration and pushed the button. Unfortunately it stops at 64%, no matter what I try.
Tried restoring from the laptop files, from the cloud, from an old Windows XP installation DVD-Rom but nothing worked so far.
The XP states system and laptop re not compatible.
Then I found a set of old Acer restore DVD-Roms I burned ages ago when I had my first Acer laptop.
So far it is restoring. I keep my fingers crossed.
If I succeed in restoring the laptop Ican give it to my sister. Otherwise I'll take out the battery and harddisk and throw it in the garbage bin.
(I restore to factory configuration to wipe all private data - it works on a previous old laptop I gave her).

HillbillyCat

Re: Laptop trouble (and how to get on with it)

Postby HillbillyCat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:32 pm

Yin Yang wrote:Since I bought a new laptop I wanted to give the old one to my sister as she burns CD=R's for in the car and her computer has no CD-burner while my old laptop has.
So I figured out how to restore to standard configuration and pushed the button. Unfortunately it stops at 64%, no matter what I try.
Tried restoring from the laptop files, from the cloud, from an old Windows XP installation DVD-Rom but nothing worked so far.
The XP states system and laptop re not compatible.
Then I found a set of old Acer restore DVD-Roms I burned ages ago when I had my first Acer laptop.
So far it is restoring. I keep my fingers crossed.
If I succeed in restoring the laptop Ican give it to my sister. Otherwise I'll take out the battery and harddisk and throw it in the garbage bin.
(I restore to factory configuration to wipe all private data - it works on a previous old laptop I gave her).

You could also try a Linux distrubtion for older laptops (e.g. Linux Lite, Zorin OS Lite, Lubuntu,...) instead of installing an old Windows version. With a live version of such a Linux distro you can test it out first and also perform a data recovery if necessary.

Topic author
Yin Yang

Re: Laptop trouble (and how to get on with it)

Postby Yin Yang » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:04 am

On Dutch Marktplaats (Market Place) I ordered a DVD-Rom with rescue programms and other freeware, which should help to get the older laptop woring again.
If not I will try to get Linux and try that. I hate to throw the non-working laptop in the garbare can.

Return to “Off Topic”