" RCA Victor's 1949 Preview of the World's First 45 rpm Records! "

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Mister Moon

" RCA Victor's 1949 Preview of the World's First 45 rpm Records! "

Postby Mister Moon » Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 pm

Arthur Crudup's original recording of "That's All Right" was first issued in 1947 as a 78 rpm record (RCA Victor 20-2205).

Two years later, it was reissued as a 45 rpm record (RCA Victor 50-0000, red vinyl), among the first batch of discs to be produced at the new speed.

Here's a nice YT upload on this subject :

Once RCA Victor introduced the first 45 rpm phonographs, they knew the importance of having not just one 45 rpm record available, but a selection of different artists and styles from which buyers could choose.

Thus, in February 1949, they mixed a little of everything in with the very first batch of 45s shipped to record stores. They arrived in a custom envelope labeled: This Is Your Preview of the New RCA Victor 45 R.P.M. RECORD LINE!

Inside are seven singles, each of which is made using a different color plastic — each color representing seven different musical styles.

The colors and the records are: cerise, or cherry red, for Blues & Rhythm (That's All Right, Big Boy Crudup, 50-0000); green for Country & Western (Spanish Fandango, Spade Cooley, 48-0027); sky-blue for International (A Klein Melamedl, Saul Meisels, 51-0000); midnight blue for Popular Classics (The French Marching Song, Al Goodman & His Orchestra, 52-0006); and black for Popular (Because, Dick Leibert, 47-2857).

The remaining two in the series are: red for Red Seal Classical and yellow for Children's Entertainment. Unfortunately, we have yet to learn the artists and titles of this pair of discs.

As the music industry's very first 45s, the preview envelope suggests: Use these seven records as samples between now and March 31st (1949), and for use with the forthcoming window and counter displays.

The copy writers then wisely and amazingly foretell: You may wish to hold them as collector's items — the first production run of a record that will set the pace for the entire industry!

Made specifically for in-store use, and not broadcasters, this Whirl-Away Demonstration Record played over and over, calling attention to the colorful display.

Now everyone can hear music history being made.

Especially comforting is knowing they were all "recorded in the quality zone."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebRx7FN6vlc
Last edited by Mister Moon on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Re: " RCA Victor's 1949 Preview of the World's First 45 rpm Records! "

Postby Mister Moon » Mon May 16, 2016 7:48 pm

More here :

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Little Mama
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Little Mama » Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Great thread! I missed the opportunity to buy the red original 45 for £200, i didn't have the money at the time and i haven't seen one since. I do own a 78 of it which is nice.
"Hold it fellas, that don't move me, let's get real, real gone for a change"....

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Mon May 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Little Mama wrote:Great thread! I missed the opportunity to buy the red original 45 for £200, i didn't have the money at the time and i haven't seen one since. I do own a 78 of it which is nice.

Here's both the 45 and 78, courtesy of Google Images, at zero cost ! :)

Both items are very desirable, but the 45 surely has an added novelty value. Really beautiful !

Crudup 78.jpg

Crudup That's All Right, 45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Little Mama
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Little Mama » Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 am

Mister Moon wrote:
Little Mama wrote:Great thread! I missed the opportunity to buy the red original 45 for £200, i didn't have the money at the time and i haven't seen one since. I do own a 78 of it which is nice.

Here's both the 45 and 78, courtesy of Google Images, at zero cost ! :)

Both items are very desirable, but the 45 surely has an added novelty value. Really beautiful !

Crudup 78.jpg

Crudup That's All Right, 45.jpg

Don't they look handsome!
"Hold it fellas, that don't move me, let's get real, real gone for a change"....

Return to “Off Topic”