Dolly Parton said 'No' to Elvis...

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Colin B

Re: Dolly Parton said 'No' to Elvis...

Postby Colin B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:06 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:...And to take it a step further, Elvis decides to sing songs around the house, ie...home recordings on substandard equipment,
well then, he dies and RCA wants to release Mona Lisa, Dark Moon, and many others....well guess what, they have to pay
publishing....They don't have any bargaining tool since they are already recorded.

When Elvis was alive, the colonel knew he had that bargaining tool of....we just won't record it if you don't agree...
it was a way to get the artist to give up a piece of the pie. It was found to be very unethical to do this.

Although the songs have already been recorded, I suppose they could ask for a slice of the publishing for releasing them !

A release would provide royalties for the owners of the publishing rights that they wouldn't be getting otherwise.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:09 am

Colin B wrote:
cadillac-elvis wrote:...And to take it a step further, Elvis decides to sing songs around the house, ie...home recordings on substandard equipment,
well then, he dies and RCA wants to release Mona Lisa, Dark Moon, and many others....well guess what, they have to pay
publishing....They don't have any bargaining tool since they are already recorded.

When Elvis was alive, the colonel knew he had that bargaining tool of....we just won't record it if you don't agree...
it was a way to get the artist to give up a piece of the pie. It was found to be very unethical to do this.

Although the songs have already been recorded, I suppose they could ask for a slice of the publishing for releasing them !

A release would provide royalties for the owners of the publishing rights that they wouldn't be getting otherwise.

yes, but like I said, I think they realized this practice is unethical, and if they want to release the song, they need
to be honest and ethical and pay the proper publishing fees.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:35 am

Colin B wrote:A release would provide royalties for the owners of the publishing rights that they wouldn't be getting otherwise.
cadillac-elvis wrote:yes, but like I said, I think they realized this practice is unethical, and if they want to release the song, they need

Honesty & ethics ?

This is the music business we're talking about...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:10 am

Colin B wrote:
Colin B wrote:A release would provide royalties for the owners of the publishing rights that they wouldn't be getting otherwise.
cadillac-elvis wrote:yes, but like I said, I think they realized this practice is unethical, and if they want to release the song, they need

Honesty & ethics ?

This is the music business we're talking about...

I see your dry humor there, but seriously, I wish the world was a bit more honest.

It seems like these days, we have fake news, elections are rigged, everybody lies,
everything is a scam, etc....you have to be always on guard, and untrusting or else
you will taken to the cleaners.
The internet has made it easier for people to be anyone they want, hiding behind the keys of their keyboard.

It's a sad world we live in. I long for simpler times.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:... It's a sad world we live in.
I long for simpler times.

Growing up in the 40s & 50s, our house had no phone, TV, fridge, central heating or internet.

Listened to the 'wireless' a lot [radio] & read a few books !

Yes, life was simpler then.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 pm

The Elvis/Dolly saga & Leiber & Stoller get a mention in this article from the BBC site today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainmen ... or=ES-208-
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

John

Postby John » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:19 pm

Colin B wrote:The Elvis/Dolly saga & Leiber & Stoller get a mention in this article from the BBC site today:

How long with this bullshit drag on? If Elvis wanted to record the song, he would have.

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:00 pm

John wrote:
Colin B wrote:The Elvis/Dolly saga & Leiber & Stoller get a mention in this article from the BBC site today:

How long with this bullshit drag on? If Elvis wanted to record the song, he would have.

Yeah, I'm glad Elvis did not record that damn song.

Edit -- Oh, we already said that last year ! :)

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Yeah, I'm glad Elvis did not record that damn song.

Edit -- Oh, we already said that last year ! :)

Yeah, the Dolly Parton stuff has dragged on too long, but the Leiber Stoller reference was interesting !

What a nasty man that Parker was !
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 pm

John wrote:

That's about the size of it.

And as my analogy from earlier, if he liked the songs he would have been doing them in his shows,
like he did with the Olivia Newton John songs. He did them live.

John

Postby John » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:47 pm

cadillac-elvis wrote:
John wrote:

That's about the size of it.

And as my analogy from earlier, if he liked the songs he would have been doing them in his shows,
like he did with the Olivia Newton John songs. He did them live.

Shame no one told him he couldn't do them.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:00 pm

That Parton gal is 78 today !

Happy Birthday, Dolly !

Dolly Parton [2].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

jokerlola

Postby jokerlola » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:44 am

I didn’t really listen to Country radio at the time but I don’t remember Parton’s “I Will Always Love You.” I was aware of Dolly Parton from the Porter Wagner show which used to run on Sunday mornings.Did the song cross over to the pop charts? I don’t remember it. I don’t remember Dolly crossing over to Pop until “Here Tou Come Again” in 1977. I first became aware of the song from Whitney Houston. For me it’s no big loss that Elvis didn’t record it. At the time, I wish Elvis had been recording more rock or R&B songs, not more MOR ballads about lost love. So has it been concluded that Dolly hadn’t even recorded the song when Elvis and Priscilla divorced?

John

Postby John » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:35 am

jokerlola wrote:I didn’t really listen to Country radio at the time but I don’t remember Parton’s “I Will Always Love You.” I was aware of Dolly Parton from the Porter Wagner show which used to run on Sunday mornings.Did the song cross over to the pop charts? I don’t remember it. I don’t remember Dolly crossing over to Pop until “Here Tou Come Again” in 1977. I first became aware of the song from Whitney Houston. For me it’s no big loss that Elvis didn’t record it. At the time, I wish Elvis had been recording more rock or R&B songs, not more MOR ballads about lost love. So has it been concluded that Dolly hadn’t even recorded the song when Elvis and Priscilla divorced?

I used to listen to country programmes on Radio 2 probably in the 70s or 80s. It was before Wally Whyton presented it which I think was late 80s'.

I can't tell you what the first song I heard by Dolly was, possibly Coat Of Many Colours which came out in 1971, but it did nothing in the UK. The next one was Jolene in 1973, which was a hit, then Love Is Like A Butterfly.

I Will Always Love You was written and recorded in 1973 and released the following year. According to Wiki,
"I Will Always Love You" is a song written and originally recorded in 1973 by American singer-songwriter Dolly Parton. Written as a farewell to her business partner and mentor Porter Wagoner, expressing Parton's decision to pursue a solo career, the country single was released in 1974.

It wasn't a hit in the UK, and I was not aware of the song. I was surprised to learn that Dolly wrote it when Whitney had a hit with it in 1992.

I'm glad Elvis didn't record the song, and I don't believe that he wanted to.

John

Postby John » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 am

I've just remembered, it was David Allan who presented the Radio 2 country programme before Wally Whyton, and that's what I used to listen to.

Return to “Off Topic”