Chuck Berry Dies Aged 90

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

John

Re: Chuck Berry Dies Aged 90

Postby John » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:47 pm

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Jane Pauley interviewed Chuck in 1977. Berry gives credit to Little Richard, Fats Domino and Travis Presley ! :?
Great anecdote on the origins of his 'duckwalk' motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoUaWuksp88

Great interview. He was certainly aware of what was happening around him musically. I think he said Previs Presley, just a slip of the tongue. Amazing, 1977 and he still had another 40 years ahead of him.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Sorry, Elvis — Chuck Berry is the king of rock ’n’ roll
By Renée Graham March 22, 2017

Father. Godfather. Pioneer. Founder. Architect.

Chuck Berry’s death last weekend had obit writers and news anchors scrambling for thesauruses to find just the right word to describe his monumental contributions to rock ’n’ roll. Yet even as the honorifics grew more lavish, there remained one title no one dared bestow upon Berry: The King of Rock ’n’ Roll.

That designation was long ago given to Elvis Presley. As the story goes, Presley was discovered because he fit the job description conjured by Sun Records owner and producer Sam Phillips: a white man who could sing like a black man. (For the record, Presley never sounded black.) Presley was an imitator, his kingdom a myth shared from generation to generation; repetition gave it the texture of fact. Berry was an originator, but in 1950s America, no black man could ever be anointed the king of anything.

Berry, who wrote, composed, and performed some of the greatest songs in pop music history, including “Johnny B. Goode,” “Roll Over Beethoven,” and “Sweet Little Sixteen,” knew all about cultural appropriation decades before it became a buzzy shorthand for white people co-opting the ingenuity of people of color.

Even the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s website entry for Berry gets it wrong: “After Elvis Presley, only Chuck Berry had more influence on the formation and development of rock & roll,” it claims. Any unbiased conversation about the foundation of rock ’n’ roll begins with Berry; he isn’t “after” anybody. But Presley is elevated because, as a white man, his provocations then seen as sexualized, even dangerous, were mostly tolerated. No black performer could have gotten away with such antics. Berry, meanwhile, had to change the words “colored boy” to “country boy” in “Johnny B. Goode” to make it more radio friendly for a wider, whiter audience.

In the 1950s, when Berry was at his creative zenith, both Presley and Pat Boone were outselling him. At least Presley could flat-out sing and inject a song with tension and swagger; by comparison, Boone, who made declawed versions of such classics as Little Richard’s “Tutti Frutti” and Fats Domino’s “Ain’t That a Shame,” was a warm bowl of vanilla ice cream. He was comfort food for a nation terrified that rock ’n’ roll, a colloquialism for sex, would corrupt tender white minds and morals.

For America, this was nothing new. Three decades earlier, white bandleader Paul Whiteman (yes, that was his name) dubbed himself “The King of Jazz,” even though his notion of this distinctly African-American music leaned more toward syrupy symphonic compositions than the riotous sound that cornetist King Oliver, an early influence on Louis Armstrong, was creating in New Orleans. As with 1950s rock ’n’ roll, some wanted jazz, but only with a different complexion.

Still, one needn’t look any further than the artists influenced by Berry to understand his dazzling musical legacy. The Beatles, Linda Ronstadt, David Bowie, the Rolling Stones, Emmylou Harris, Nina Simone, Jimi Hendrix, and James Taylor are among those who performed his songs. (The Beach Boys didn’t just cover Berry; their “Surfin’ U.S.A.” sounded so much like Berry’s “Sweet Little Sixteen” that writing credit and publishing royalties were ultimately signed over to Berry.)

Always confident about his talents, Berry probably knew exactly where he belonged in the pop music firmament — at the top. He was not a blueprint for rock ’n’ roll; that suggests he was simply an outline for something great to be built later. Berry was already great.

In death as in his long life and career, Berry is still being hailed, but only to a certain point. Time for that skewed history to meet reality. So roll over, Beethoven and, this time, tell Elvis the news — Chuck Berry is the King of Rock ’n’ Roll.

Renée Graham is a Globe columnist. Follow her on Twitter @reneeygraham.

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Interesting comment in relation to the Boston Globe article:-

Februaryborn03/22/17 11:20 AM
I have to wonder if Elvis wasn't elevated to the stature of the "king of rock and roll", he'd still be alive today. Chuck Berry had been performing long after Elvis died. Maybe...Maybe?...Chuck Berry may have suffered the same fate as Elvis had the roles been reversed? Hard to say. But I do confess to preferring Chuck Berry's stage presence to Elvis Presley's (no offense to Elvis. But, Chuck rocked and rolled til the day he drew his last breath)

R.I.P. Chuck Berry, who once sang, "They'll be rockin' in Boston" (as well as around the world.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:33 am

R.I.P. Chuck.
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:39 am

while I'm at it, this is Little Richard's statement on Chuck's passing. Also did look for Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis but neither have made a statement at this time -

Little Richard on Chuck Berry's Death: 'I Lost One of My Best Friends In Music' -

Little Richard: I just feel sad about Chuck going. I didn’t even know he was sick. I lost a really great friend -- one of my best friends in music. I love Chuck. I’ve been with Chuck all my life, really.

We went around and toured Europe and America together. Most of my favorite moments were watching him just do the duck walk and play. Sometimes his daughter came out on the road with us. I remember one day he gave me a gold horseshoe to hold -- “Feel this. How do you like it?” -- and then he said “Okay, now give it back!” I said “Chuck, you’re not an Indian giver!” “No, I’m not!” He was one of those kind of guys. He would always say to me, “You got some pretty skin, Richard.” I would just say, “Shut up, Chuck. Next joke!”

It was some beautiful times we had together. One or two times I played the piano on some of his songs. He’s a rocker, he could really rock for real. He ain’t just jiving around. He really puts it down and he picks it up and throws it out to the audience. He was the greatest rock n' roll musician though he could play more than that, he could play all types of music. I learned those rock n' roll riffs he had. He had the kind of riff that makes your big toe shoot up in your boots.

He was a real thoughtful person in the business, and what I learned from Chuck is a lot of business things. Get paid before you go on stage. Get your money in front. And he stuck to that. There were some honest good promoters, but some people, you had to get it in front or you wouldn’t get it at all.

When Chuck and I played together, Chuck always wanted to close the show, and I wanted to close it too. We were always banging at that. “I’m the star of the show!” “No, I’m the star of the show!” Really, Chuck was the star of the show. But we’d be onstage together and we sang together. I’d tell him I’m the creator of rock n' roll, he’d say "I am," but I have to admit, he’s older than me, he came before me.

The truth is the truth. Chuck Berry, his songs are rock n' roll standards, and mine are classics also. "Roll Over Beethoven," "School Days," and here I come with "Good Golly Miss Molly" and "Long Tall Sally." Chuck had more hits than I had. But we both contributed. It’s been a blessing and a lesson, and I thank God for letting me live at this time so I could be a part of it.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... th-tribute

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Colin, as I am aware you don't know the movie Hail Hail Rock n Roll I have had a look for a review online for you.
This one is fairly basic description. 100 percent recommended -

‘Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock ’n’ Roll’

By Richard Harrington
Washington Post Staff Writer
October 09, 1987

Director:
Taylor Hackford
Cast:
Chuck Berry;
Keith Richards;
Bo Diddley;
Little Richard;
Eric Clapton;
Linda Ronstadt;
Johnnie Johnson
PG

At two hours, Taylor Hackford's "Chuck Berry Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" is as long and unwieldy as its title, but it's probably the most revealing look we'll ever get of its subject, and the most loving evocation of his music. It's a mix of rehearsal and performance footage, "You Are There" interviews with Berry and "Reds"-style testimonials from contemporaries and heirs.

Jerry Lee Lewis is still riled that his own mom considered his fabled rival the real King of Rock 'n' Roll. "I always thought I was," he objects, only to be told, " 'Well, you and Elvis are pretty good, but you're no Chuck Berry.' "

There's Little Richard confessing that "his rhythm is the only one I can sing my songs to," and Springsteen explaining how Berry's influence "came out later when I wanted to write the way I thought that people talked." Bruce Springsteen then hums "Nadine": " 'I saw her on the corner, then she turned and doubled back/ Started walking to a coffee-colored Cadillac' ... I've never seen a coffee-colored Cadillac, but I know exactly what one looks like!"

There's also plenty of Berry confirming that his songs are merely the coins of his realm, that for him rock 'n' roll has always been about commerce, not art. He's somewhat single-minded on this theme, but in such a charming, honest manner that you can't get mad at him.

The centerpiece of the film is the 60th-birthday celebration for Berry held last October at St. Louis' Fox Theater, an ornate 1920s movie house where he was refused admission as a child because of his race. Rolling Stone Keith Richards, his most ardent disciple and occasional sparring partner, had always been disturbed by Berry's sloppy pickup bands, so he signed on as musical director, put together a powerhouse band, dressed it up in matching outfits and gave Berry the most focused and sympathetic backing he'd had in decades.

Of course, being Berry, he wasn't particularly eager to do something he hadn't done in 25 years, namely rehearse, and there are some funny but tense scenes between him and Richards. And after all the rehearsals, Berry still tried to change keys and arrangements on stage. "He gives me more headaches than Mick Jagger, but I still can't complain," Richards complains. "I love him, and I've done what I wanted to do for him. Now I'm going to sleep for a month."

The concert features some fine performances by Berry, including "No Money Down" and "Too Much Monkey Business," a song that obviously influenced Bob Dylan. Bluesman Robert Cray comes out for "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man," Eric Clapton for a slow and searing "Wee Wee Hours." Linda Ronstadt recaps her hit version of "Back in the USA" (nice to hear her back in the rock 'n' roll), and Etta James pumps out some "Rock and Roll Music." Julian Lennon gives a decent reading of "Johnny B. Goode," but Berry's comment after the performance -- "Say hello to your papa" -- makes you wonder.

The film also includes footage of a special performance by Berry and his backup band of the 1950s at the now-shuttered Cosmopolitan Club in East St. Louis, Ill., and this has much more of the bluesy, down-home feel of the music he was making on weekends before embarking on his recording career. These scenes, and the concert, should reestablish pianist Johnnie Johnson's importance in the early Berry sound, as his rolling rhythms and darting right-hand figures rock the music wildly.

There are also scenes of Berry at Berry Park and several hilarious round-table discussions with Bo Diddley and Little Richard -- who steals every scene he's in even as he makes a case for how blacks were cut out of rock 'n' roll in the '50s, when the music became separate but not equal: "R&B became what we was doing and rock 'n' roll became what white kids was doing."

Hackford's love for early rock 'n' roll is evident throughout (he also produced "La Bamba," the story of '50s singing star Ritchie Valens), and that he managed to get Berry talking as much as he does is a minor miracle. There are still some clumsy moments, though: bringing up Berry's prison terms only to be told he won't talk about it (so why include it?) and suggesting that Berry's had a lot of fun with groupies.

"If you keep those home fires burning, you do what you want to do," Berry proclaims. "As I always said, use discretion, be sensible about it." Hackford then trots out Berry's wife of almost 40 years, but her testimony sounds like a hostage's speech before it's abruptly cut off.

Still, it's the music that rings true, and that has been ringing true for 30 years. You may learn more about Chuck Berry than you want to know (and a lot less than he'll let you know), but you'll also find yourself rocking and rolling, any old way you choose it.

John

Postby John » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 am

WalterHaleJnr wrote:Colin, as I am aware you don't know the movie Hail Hail Rock n Roll I have had a look for a review online for you.
This one is fairly basic description. 100 percent recommended -

100% recommended by me too.

Matt Helm

Postby Matt Helm » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:07 pm

HAIL HAIL ROCK AND ROLL, well,one of the best LIVE output on 3 DVD's from Buck Cherry (sic)...btw Chucks 1967er GOLDEN HITS on Mercury Records is one of the VERY best he have ever recorded, i adore C.B. on this Vinyl Beauty. By the way, a nice compilation is on the 3 multiple CHESS CD Box Sets...and for the COMPLETIST; Bear Family Complete Chuck Berry Box Set from 2015. Matt

WalterHaleJnr

Postby WalterHaleJnr » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

John

Postby John » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 pm

I find him fascinating to watch, he's magic on that guitar.

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:24 am

Update - 18th October, 2019

Chuck Berry would have been 93 today.

Chuck Berry in 1958.jpg

Still missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Jessie-May
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jessie-May » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:43 am

Found this dedicated Thread to Chuck. I love him! Apart from his talent his twinkling devilsh eyes and smile was attractive. Many thanks for bringing this Topic to the fore..
Last edited by Jessie-May on Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Colin B wrote:Update - 18th October, 2019

Chuck Berry would have been 93 today.

Chuck Berry in 1958.jpg

Still missed.

He always has me reelin' and rockin'.

RIP.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

Jessie-May
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jessie-May » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:33 pm

I have read one of Walter's posts in here and fascinating reading. Will read more when can. I see the Author was last active on the forum last year and no posts since going by his Profile

John

Postby John » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:34 pm

Jessie-May wrote:I have read one of Walter's posts in here and fascinating reading. Will read more when can. I see the Author was last active on the forum last year and no posts since going by his Profile

He left us for reasons unknown and rumour has it he was posting on some other little Elvis forum.

Return to “Off Topic”