Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & the Big Bopper

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Colin B

Re: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens & the Big Bopper

Postby Colin B » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Pacer wrote:Wouldn't they sue today the flying company for millions just because of that failure of the pilot not to fly by instruments?

Really, 21 years old...bad weather and flying by sight....which was not there.

Hopefully, tighter regulation would prevent such a thing happening today.

Although there are questions over the recent plane crash with footballer Emiliano Sala and pilot David Ibbotson...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Pacer
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Pacer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:42 pm

I am just surprised.....in USA you sue mc Donald's because of hot coffe that you spill over your lap..and here nothing happened in 1959 while it's obvious that the person who did fly that plane was incompetent.
Different times, I guess.
The boss of that dead pilot otherwise should have called himself lucky not to have been sued his and his children asses.

Tragedy nonetheless......but irresponsible the way it happened.
And like I said, today he would have been sued for 180 million dollars or more.

I don't think or hope that nowadays its allowed to let someone run a commercial flying service with pilots who can't fly with instruments (and only via sight).

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 am

Pacer wrote:I am just surprised.....in USA you sue mc Donald's because of hot coffe that you spill over your lap..and here nothing happened in 1959 while it's obvious that the person who did fly that plane was incompetent.
Different times, I guess.
The boss of that dead pilot otherwise should have called himself lucky not to have been sued his and his children asses.

Tragedy nonetheless......but irresponsible the way it happened.
And like I said, today he would have been sued for 180 million dollars or more.

I don't think or hope that nowadays its allowed to let someone run a commercial flying service with pilots who can't fly with instruments (and only via sight).

I agree, different times, as you say, Pacer.

Going on my observations growing up, the older generations, in Australia, anyway, did not want to bother anyone, they took responsibility for their own accidents, if they had a fall, or the like (of course this is a different level to a plane crash; however, still the thinking, in my view).

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:59 am

Here is some intersting documents, Detailing that terrible day. Down load the links you want to read.

http://data.desmoinesregister.com/holly/documents.php
Welcome to my world
http://uk.youtube.com/user/elvislady

Don't judge me. You know my name, But not my story.
Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:33 am

elvislady wrote:Here is some intersting documents, Detailing that terrible day. Down load the links you want to read.

Thanks for those links, elvislady !

Will have a longer read later, but it's interesting to see that only the pilot had an autopsy at the time.

They exhumed the body of The Big Bopper 48 years later to perform one.

This was to scotch the rumours that he'd survived the crash & tried to go for help & that he'd received a gunshot wound.

None of the rumours proved to be correct.

On a technical note, a while back the Photobucket picture-hosting site decided to start charging for membership.

If you didn't pay, the pics you'd stored there could still be accessed, but couldn't be displayed in threads/posts in forums.

Any photos you'd already added to posts suddenly were replaced with a message from them.

I see that they've now started appearing again [even old ones] but with a huge 'watermark' !

See the first post in this thread for an example.

I wonder if they've succumbed to the backlash they got when everyones' photos vanished ?
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:13 pm

Colin B wrote:
elvislady wrote:Here is some intersting documents, Detailing that terrible day. Down load the links you want to read.

Will have a longer read later, but it's interesting to see that only the pilot had an autopsy at the time.

This was to scotch the rumours that he'd survived the crash & tried to go for help & that he'd received a gunshot wound.

There so much sick stuff regarding that sad day.

Let's just stick to the music, please. :)

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Colin B wrote:

On a technical note, a while back the Photobucket picture-hosting site decided to start charging for membership.

If you didn't pay, the pics you'd stored there could still be accessed, but couldn't be displayed in threads/posts in forums.

Any photos you'd already added to posts suddenly were replaced with a message from them.

I see that they've now started appearing again [even old ones] but with a huge 'watermark' !

See the first post in this thread for an example.

I wonder if they've succumbed to the backlash they got when everyones' photos vanished ?

Your welcome Colin. On photo bucket site I had many of my Memphis and Tupelo pictures on there, I now cannot get back in with being charged to remove them.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

I understand your point, Mister Moon. I feel it's been such a long time ago I can look into what happened in the disaster that took these 3 lives. I find it interesting why, How, was this allowed to happen. It was terrible weather conditions but they were allowed to take off. And what the families went through at this terrible time. Just my opinion.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 pm

elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

I understand your point, Mister Moon. I feel it's been such a long time ago I can look into what happened in the disaster that took these 3 lives. I find it interesting why, How, was this allowed to happen. It was terrible weather conditions but they were allowed to take off. And what the families went through at this terrible time. Just my opinion.

It was just, as the songs goes, a great tragedy. Unfortunately, shit like that happens in life every day. For me, there's no need to look for logical explanations, let alone 60 years later. Nothing will bring them back, so I will stick to their music.

I deeply despise morbidity, that's all.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

It was just, as the songs goes, a great tragedy. Unfortunately, shit like that happens in life every day. For me, there's no need to look for logical explanations, let alone 60 years later. Nothing will bring them back, so I will stick to their music.

I don't find it morbid for wanting to know what happened . I am a very happy person I have had a lot of sad things happen in my life I feel for the families who went through such a tradgedy as this, And that of the recent plane crash.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

Point taken, I am a happy person who had a lot if sad things happen in my life. I feel for the families of these terrible tradgedies. As with the latest plane crash. I guess that's why we are all difference of opinions.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:52 pm

elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

I don't find it morbid for wanting to know what happened . I am a very happy person I have had a lot of sad things happen in my life I feel for the families who went through such a tradgedy as this, And that of the recent plane crash.

I wasn't talking necessarily about you. Sorry if that offended you.

I don't want to mention any examples, but there's definitely lots of morbidity surrounding that 1959 tragedy. I have a great respect for those people and their legacies, and I feel it's an insult to their memories.

elvislady

Postby elvislady » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
elvislady wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Colin B wrote:

I wasn't talking necessarily about you. Sorry if that offended you.

I don't want to mention any examples, but there's definitely lots of morbidity surrounding that 1959 tragedy. I have a great respect for those people and their legacies, and I feel it's an insult to their memories.

No sorry necessary Mr Moon. I respect your feelings. I wasn't offended at all just saying we all have our own opinions.
Welcome to my world

Thank you ( Jeanette )

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 am

Update - 3rd February, 2020:

That plane crash was 61 years ago today.

Buddy Holly - Big Bopper - Ritchie Valens -.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am

Update - 3rd February, 2021:

Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper & Ritchie Valens died 62 years ago today along with pilot Roger Peterson.

Big bopper - Ritchie Valens - Buddy Holly.jpg
Roger Peterson - Pilot of Buddy Holly Plane.JPG

Still missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “Off Topic”