I am new too!

Introduce Yourself

John

Re: I am new too!

Postby John » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:55 am

Gibbo wrote:Hey and hello from Sydney. I'm Dave, but I go by Gibbo. Looking forward to meeting up with you all. If I happen to drift into Aussie lingo just let me know and I'll kick back to Quen's Inglish .... ha ha

Welcome to the board Dave. Have a great time and any lingo is welcome here.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 am

Gibbo wrote:Hey and hello from Sydney. I'm Dave, but I go by Gibbo. Looking forward to meeting up with you all. If I happen to drift into Aussie lingo just let me know and I'll kick back to Quen's Inglish .... ha ha

I promise to translate - ha!

If I can't, Rick is Australian, and he can, lol

Bonzaaaaaaaaaaa (except, I don't speak lingo........ that I know about ) LOL

Gibbo
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Gibbo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:56 am

There's a song that you might like to look up- it's called Long Misty Days. They may have had you in mind when they wrote it. Thanks for the welcome good people.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:44 am

Gibbo wrote:There's a song that you might like to look up- it's called Long Misty Days. They may have had you in mind when they wrote it. Thanks for the welcome good people.

Thank you.

Is it Robin Trower, Gibbo?

I have not heard of him, before.

Gibbo
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Gibbo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Yes, Misty, it sure is, He was the guitarist for Procul Harum (Whiter shade of pale, etc).

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Gibbo wrote:Yes, Misty, it sure is, He was the guitarist for Procul Harum (Whiter shade of pale, etc).

Thanks, Gibbo.

Ohhh, and thank you for sending the rain up, 'preciated.

I think that Annie Lennox does a nice cover of "Whiter Shade of Pale".

Gibbo
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Gibbo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am

Annie is a knockout when it comes to singing. Her "Why" is a classic.

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 pm

Gibbo wrote:Annie is a knockout when it comes to singing. Her "Why" is a classic.

I agree, Gibbo, Annie is really talented.

"Why" is great, she takes her voice to to wonderful heights, without losing any strength in her voice.

Annie's live performance of "Little Bird" has always been a favourite, the film clip is what highlights the experience for me, Annie is really enjoying herself, I love the way the music flows through her, and Annie's voice, again, can go anywhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWq29_WBXBA

All about the performance. :D

Gibbo
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Gibbo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Wonderful, Misty. There is a special place in the world for folks like Annie, Kate Bush and several others of that ilk. I won't knock today's singers- as the kids have to have their heroes, but ...... I was blessed to grow up with some very talented musos. Ah!!! and let's not forget kd lang. She's brilliant. :)

Mountain Mist

Postby Mountain Mist » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:48 am

Gibbo wrote:Wonderful, Misty. There is a special place in the world for folks like Annie, Kate Bush and several others of that ilk. I won't knock today's singers- as the kids have to have their heroes, but ...... I was blessed to grow up with some very talented musos. Ah!!! and let's not forget kd lang. She's brilliant. :)

I like the professionalism from the musicians from decades past (some are still around, of course, today), they had done their time, working hard, working their way up, and could sing, they also sounded the same live.

One of my cousins lives in Scotland Island in Sydney (I won't say his full name publicly) you would not happen to know him, would you? (Long shot, I know, but the top musos all seem to know each other). Geoff also surfed, he was such a cool dude to me ;)

One of my friends, too, was a musician, he was a teacher, as are/were you, at IGS, and played in the brass section for decades, for all the big name gigs that came around. How small is the world of musos/teachers?

Australia had to me, and still does, some incredible musical talent in the 1970's and 1980's. My favourite, as it was my first concert, which I was taken to by older cousins, was Cold Chisel live, I was fascinated with Jimmy, swinging his vodka bottle, so funny. The crowd swelled forward when the band came onto the stage, it was a fun experience.

Gibbo
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Gibbo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:08 am

Good times, Misty. With over 4 mill in this little harbour town, the chances of me knowing your cousin are ..... Billy Thorpe was always one of my favourites. "Most People I know Think That I'm Crazy" is a classic. I went to Sunbury (Vic) in '75 to see Deep Purple. It was a mud fest- slipping sliding, drunk and stoned. Whew. Thorpey blew everyone away. Skyhooks were there along with great blues bands like Chain and Blackfeather. I'll never forget it. Of the modern day musos, I would state: Peter Gabriel is a genius (he started WOMAD), Kate Bush, Annie, Don Maclean (yeah what a soul that man has- Starry starry night ...) and numerous others like them. I'm in my early 60s so I was blessed to see some of the greats from overseas and here. Nice chatting to you Misty.

Return to “Who Am I”