Two outstanding performances near the end

All the Elvis you can take

Matt Helm

Re: Two outstanding performances near the end

Postby Matt Helm » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm

With FULL RESPECT for the Human ELVIS PRESLEY...but not for "His Job" as a professional Singer/Entertainer/Actor, sorry NO WAY...it was and it is terrible, he failed on CBS June 1977. Peace&Love Matt

Hard Rocker

Postby Hard Rocker » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Must confess, Hurt does nothing for me at all. Horrible song IMO... Sorry in advance!

skabillyrebels

Postby skabillyrebels » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm

one man's soup is another man's gravy
Last edited by skabillyrebels on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm

skabillyrebels wrote:one man's soup is another man's gravy.

Exactly, and I'll take the versions of 'Hurt', You Gave Me A Mountain' and 'I Really Don't Want To Know' from Elvis In a Concert over any other versions by Elvis.
I can only imagine I'd enjoy them even more if they had a proper re- mix from the master tapes.

Topic author
athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:08 pm

Don’t make me laugh, Bob! You ask for respect from me for your post at the same time you state in it that (and I quote): “ I never, never, understood why any sane person would qualify anything from the CBS shows as "two of my favorite performances" or state "they send shivers down my spine every single time I watch them" ...”

I do not know if you did it on purpose or not, I will give you the benefit of doubt, but you called me INSANE for loving two performances from Elvis Presley at Rapid City on 19th of June, 1977, and you DON’T KNOW ME! Who I am, what I like, what I do not like and what moves me.

If this is your way of expressing yourself, you should really think twice before posting something!

Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 pm

athletic_forever wrote:you DON’T KNOW ME! Who I am, what I like, what I do not like and what moves me.

I can tell you exactly who you are, what you like, and what moves you:
- You are someone who enjoys watching a very sick Elvis Presley in a ridiculous outfit during the absolute worst time of his life.
- You like to watch a very sick Elvis Presley in a ridiculous outfit during the absolute worst time of his life.
- And you are moved by watching a very sick Elvis Presley in a ridiculous outfit during the absolute worst time of his life.

If you enjoy hobbies like that, go ahead, have your fun!
I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home, whatever makes you happy.
As long as you keep those curtains closed during your moments of pleasure.

Thank you.

Topic author
athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Bob, if that’s all you can say as an answer, I have nothing else to say.

I feel sorry for you man! When all you do is what you just showed in your post, you must suffer from a very sick mind.

Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm

You stated this:

athletic_forever wrote:I do believe any opinion should be respected

So I thought I give you MY personal opinion.
But all of a sudden you have zero respect for the way I look at it?
Wait a minute! Did you actually mean to say that you only respect the opinions of those who 100% agree with yours?
Going by the way you reacted, I guess we can conclude that you do.

athletic_forever wrote:you must suffer from a very sick mind.

... says the person who has the hots for the pic below.

But, like I said, and I really mean this, have your fun. Rock on!
(And don't forget to wash your hands afterwards for 2 minutes, at least!)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 pm

It was you who said I was insane.

It was you who insisted you knew me when you and me have never met.

It is you who insists on trying to put me in a light I am not and ridiculing me.

I will respect opinions from anyone, because everyone is entitled to his own opinion. But I cannot and will not respect any man doing what you are trying to do.

By the way, I do not like the pic you posted, I rather love the performance this pic came from! You are putting in my mouth words I have never said.

I will respect you when you respect me, and you’ve showed no respect on me.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 pm

OK guys, you'll have to agree to disagree on this one & move on.

Please.
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
athletic_forever

Postby athletic_forever » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 pm

I will certainly move on, Colin, thanks...

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:08 am

TonyS wrote:

Exactly, and I'll take the versions of 'Hurt', You Gave Me A Mountain' and 'I Really Don't Want To Know' from Elvis In a Concert over any other versions by Elvis.
I can only imagine I'd enjoy them even more if they had a proper re- mix from the master tapes.

so, I want to understand you..."all" versions....even the studio one?

The problem with every live version past May of 1976, is that Tutt speeds the tempo up and ruins the mood of the song.

In fact Tutt speeds up most of elvis' oldies among others.

Just listen to Larry Londin during the Early 1976 tours and you will notice he played
the songs at the proper tempo's including Hurt.

Mojo Filter

Postby Mojo Filter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:01 am

I have to say that these two songs by Elvis are awful.

"Hurt" is just a bombastic bellow of a mess. Imo Elvis had lost the magic in his voice (70s) i think he knew his singing wasn't as good anymore. The bombastic bellowing, to me at least, was a way of bringing his voice out more due to the lack of it, and kind of "showing off" when he used to reprise it at his live shows. I don't like the song anyhow.

"Unchained Melody" was obviously based on his hero's Roy Hamilton version. But Roy's was certainly a better performance. Had Elvis done it 10 years earlier, say with Chips Moman, the results would have been so much better than the dreadful CBS version. That said, my favourite version of the song is by the Rightious Brothers.
she's well acquainted with a touch of the velvet hand, like a lizard on a window pane

cadillac-elvis

Postby cadillac-elvis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 am

Mojo Filter wrote:I have to say that these two songs by Elvis are awful.

"Hurt" is just a bombastic bellow of a mess. Imo Elvis had lost the magic in his voice (70s) i think he knew his singing wasn't as good anymore. The bombastic bellowing, to me at least, was a way of bringing his voice out more due to the lack of it, and kind of "showing off" when he used to reprise it at his live shows. I don't like the song anyhow.

"Unchained Melody" was obviously based on his hero's Roy Hamilton version. But Roy's was certainly a better performance. Had Elvis done it 10 years earlier, say with Chips Moman, the results would have been so much better than the dreadful CBS version. That said, my favourite version of the song is by the Rightious Brothers.

So, can you pin point when he "lost the magic in his voice".....1972? 1973? 1974? 1975? 1976? or 1977?

And if you can, can you pinpoint the month? For example you might think he was good in feb. 1972 but by June he wasn't good anymore.

Or you might hate the 70's all of it...in its jumpsuit glory...

So, maybe you think he peaked in 1968?

All fans are different.

I don't look at the years per se', I just look at each song or performance on it's own merit.
In fact I like his 1977 versions of "My way" better than the one in 1973.
And I like his 1976 live version of "The first time ever I saw your face" better than his 1971 studio version
And there are other anomalies that pop up from time to time. it all depends on what it is.

My opinion though, is words like "Aweful" should be saved for things like, "Hey hey hey", or "Hey little girl", or "Old macdonald".

TonyS
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby TonyS » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:05 am

cadillac-elvis wrote:
TonyS wrote:

so, I want to understand you..."all" versions....even the studio one?

The problem with every live version past May of 1976, is that Tutt speeds the tempo up and ruins the mood of the song.

In fact Tutt speeds up most of elvis' oldies among others.

Just listen to Larry Londin during the Early 1976 tours and you will notice he played
the songs at the proper tempo's including Hurt.

In a word, yes.
I've never thought that the Graceland den recording of 'Hurt' was anything other than just ok.
I enjoy the live arrangements of the three songs I mentioned on the 'Elvis In Concert' album.
Talking of speeding things up.... sometimes Elvis himself was responsible for that.
Ronnie Tutt has said many times that he didn't enjoy doing 'Sweet Caroline' with Elvis because he took it too fast. True.

Return to “Everything Elvis”