Arthur Crudup box set coming from Bear Family

Share your non-Elvis stuff here

Topic author
Mister Moon

Arthur Crudup box set coming from Bear Family

Postby Mister Moon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:22 pm

Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudup: A Music Man Like Nobody Ever Saw

5-CD boxed set (LP-size) with 68-page hardcover book, 124 tracks. Total playing time approx. 6 hrs

• The first box set devoted to this blues giant!

• His complete recordings 1941-1962!

• Songs include the original versions of Rock Me Mamma, That’s All Right, My Baby Left Me, Mean Ol’ Frisco, So Glad You’re Mine, and many more!

• Newly researched biography by award-winning blues journalist Bill Dahl.

• Rare and exclusive photos!

In the world of music, there was never anyone quite like ARTHUR 'BIG BOY' CRUDUP. Rooted in the Mississippi Delta, his style was propulsive, melodic, original, and profoundly soulful. If he wasn’t 'The Father of Rock ‘n’ Roll', as one LP proclaimed, there’s no doubt that rock ‘n’ roll owes a debt to his songs, including That’s All Right Mama, My Baby Left Me, Rock Me Mamma, So Glad You’re Mine, and Mean Ol’ Frisco Blues, as much as to his tight, swinging brand of rural blues. Arthur Crudup was in his thirties when he made his first recordings in 1941 and recorded prolifically until his death in 1974. This set includes his complete recordings from 1941 until 1962, including every extant song from RCA and its associated labels, as well as his sides for Trumpet, Checker, Ace, and Fire. Over one hundred recordings in all. An expressive singer and a true poet of the blues, Arthur Crudup certainly deserves to be known as the guy who wrote three songs that Elvis Presley recorded during the Fifties, but he was a towering musician in his own right. His influence didn’t end at Elvis Presley. In addition to all those that Elvis influenced, countless other blues and rock musicians adapted his songs and his sweet, lyrical style. These 124 songs on 5 CDs are complemented by a 68-page book by Bill Dahl, rare photos, and a newly researched discography.

https://www.bear-family.com/crudup-arthur-a-music-man-like-nobody-ever-saw-5-cd-box.html

Jakerdj
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Re: Arthur Crudup box set coming from Bear Family

Postby Jakerdj » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Thanks Mister Moon. Good to know, my only problem is how to print enough money for the set!
The Box set title "A music man like nobody ever saw" is attributed to Elvis. Does anybody know when & where Elvis made this comment ?

Private Presley

Postby Private Presley » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:33 pm

Jakerdj wrote:Thanks Mister Moon. Good to know, my only problem is how to print enough money for the set!
The Box set title "A music man like nobody ever saw" is attributed to Elvis. Does anybody know when & where Elvis made this comment ?

It was an interview by Kays Gary of the Charlotte Observer on June 26, 1956. It appeared on the June 27, 1956 edition of the paper.
ImageImage

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks for your posts, everybody.

The funny thing about Bear Family using the quote as the title for the box set is that Elvis was not referring to Crudup, but to himself - what he would be in the case he could feel what Arthur felt.

Here's the entire quote, taken from Scotty Moore's website, which also reproduces the entire "Charlotte Observer" article :

Crudup quote.JPG

http://scottymoore.net/charlotteColiseum.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TCB-FAN

Postby TCB-FAN » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Thank You Moon. Bear Family goes all the way when it comes to re-issues. Not to mention their excellent sound quality. A while back I sent them an email requesting box set recordings of a number of U.S. country legends, some of which were long overdue. Sure beats searching for out of print vinyl. :)
"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:04 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Thank You Moon. Bear Family goes all the way when it comes to re-issues. Not to mention their excellent sound quality. A while back I sent them an email requesting box set recordings of a number of U.S. country legends, some of which were long overdue. Sure beats searching for out of print vinyl. :)

Patsy Cline, anyone ? ;)

TCB-FAN

Postby TCB-FAN » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Thank You Moon. Bear Family goes all the way when it comes to re-issues. Not to mention their excellent sound quality. A while back I sent them an email requesting box set recordings of a number of U.S. country legends, some of which were long overdue. Sure beats searching for out of print vinyl. :)

Patsy Cline, anyone ? ;)

Funny I did not request Patsy's music......lol

But I did request releases for Lynn Anderson, Connie Smith (Columbia/Monument/Epic Years), Ray Price, Eddy Arnold (his post 1960 material), Melba Montgomery, just to name a few.... :D
"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:34 am

Arthur Crudup never received any royalties.

Even after some of his compositions were recorded by Elvis.

From 1968, he was managed by Dick Waterman, who strived to get him paid.

In 1973, the publisher Hill & Range Music who owned the songs, asked Arthur to attend their offices along with his two sons.

They said they had a cheque for $60,000 & needed him & his sons to sign that they accepted this as a final payment & would make no further claims.

They all attended, met with the Hill & Range lawyer & signed as asked.

The lawyer then left the room with the cheque to get it signed by their CEO.

After 15 minutes, he returned looking pale & shaken, saying
“He won’t sign the agreement. He said it gives more away in settlement than you could hope to get from litigation.”

At the last minute, the executive had refused to sign, & Arthur was getting nothing !

He took the news good-naturedly.

So, who was the soulless, hard-hearted executive who cheated him ?

Step forward, Julian Aberbach !

Arthur Crudup died in the spring of 1974, from heart disease & diabetes.

Dick Waterman continued the fight with the help of Warner Brothers.

Around the same time Chappell Music was moving to buy out Hill and Range but wouldn't close the deal until the royalties dispute was settled.

Arthur's estate was then given an initial cheque for $248,000.00 & over the course of the next thirty years, it would earn a further $3 million from owed royalties.

Justice at last, but a tad too late...
Colin B

"Judge a man not by his answers but by his questions" - Voltaire
"Why ?" - Colin B

Jakerdj
Inactive - Lurker
Inactive - Lurker

Postby Jakerdj » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:02 am

Good spot on the quote MM .....so often, we just do not look beyond the "image".

Aberbach and the rest of the greedy blood suckers at H&R , RCA, also not forgetting the "Col" screwed not just Crudup but Elvis as well.

Colin: I have long held a pet theory, that most of the "missing/unaccounted" record sales at RCA for Elvis, would have been a good way to siphon off royalties and other dues.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:38 am

Jakerdj wrote:Good spot on the quote MM .....so often, we just do not look beyond the "image".

Aberbach and the rest of the greedy blood suckers at H&R , RCA, also not forgetting the "Col" screwed not just Crudup but Elvis as well.

Colin: I have long held a pet theory, that most of the "missing/unaccounted" record sales at RCA for Elvis, would have been a good way to siphon off royalties and other dues.

You could be right !

Whilst I realised that there were 'bloodsuckers' cheating Elvis, I always thought that RCA, being a 'respectable' label, had treated him in a fair & responsible manner.

This was more in hope than judgement...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 pm

Here's the obituary published by "Rolling Stone" in 1974, a few weeks after Arthur's passing at 68 years of age.

Note that the portrait they used is the same one seen on the front cover of Bear Family's Crudup set :

740509 b.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:05 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Here's the obituary published by "Rolling Stone" in 1974, a few weeks after Arthur's passing at 68 years of age...

Thanks for that, Mister Moon !

Kinda bears out my version of the events, although it doesn't mention all the royalty figures that mine did.

And it had some extra bits of info:

Lester Melrose - was his first manager, who cheated him because he, & later his heirs, received whatever royalties the record companies did pay to Arthur up to 1971, but didn't pass them on.

His last name is pronounced: 'Croo-dup'.

He died from a stroke.

He had 13 sons & daughters [4 were his own & the others step-children].

They also say that Elvis was criticised for not personally paying Arthur for his use of his songs !

How silly !

Performing artists don't pay songwriters directly, that should be taken care of by the royalty system !

Not Elvis' fault that it wasn't working properly.
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Topic author
Mister Moon

Postby Mister Moon » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:46 pm

Very glad you liked the article, Colin. Thank you !

It was your post that reminded me of it - I had it saved less than a year ago.

TCB-FAN

Postby TCB-FAN » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:57 pm

I've learned so much about Mr. Crudup in this one thread alone than years of Google searching. Thanks fellas ! :)

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Colin B

Postby Colin B » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:39 pm

Colin B wrote:They also say that Elvis was criticised for not personally paying Arthur for his use of his songs !
How silly !
Performing artists don't pay songwriters directly, that should be taken care of by the royalty system !
Not Elvis' fault that it wasn't working properly.
mike edwards wrote:"Years later Elvis would finance some recording sessions for Crudup" - Jerry Hopkins (ELVIS).

Well, OK then, looks like the criticism was misplaced...
Colin B

"Why ?" - Colin B

Return to “Off Topic”